Hit and run

MojoRisin

Coming back to work from lunch I got rear ended on my bike. The a**h*** didn't even stop. Fiberglass around the tank is broke minor scuff on engine and the shifter / linkage is messed up. I'm sore but otherwise unhurt. More pissed than anything.

hypo

thats one of my biggest fears/peeves since I was rear ended a few years ago... I WATCH people approach my rear end, and I make sure that my brake light is BRIGHT AS HELL. The guy who rear ended me almost got a serious tongue lashing until his 5 year old son poked his head around his dads seat to see what happened... so I yelled like a motherfscker in my helmet at him before I took it off and looked at the damage. of course mine didn't drive off. :/

I would file a police report with as much information as possible.

mikefz8

That is jacked up! I would be so pissed! Definitely do as Hypo suggests and file a police report! Hopefully there are some witnesses and you catch this person.

Last edited:
C

Camo

Damn! Sorry to hear that. I got run off the road a few years ago and low sided in the process...Car full of kids didn't stop either.
People can be real assholes at times. Hope you're insurance will cover it.

D

Deleted member 438

Glad you're ok. Hopefully you got the plate number.

Yamacat1000

Im always amazed at how so many people can be such dicks, yet there is such a strong bond between "bikers". I wouldnt choose any other "club" if you will. Glad your alright, couldve been worse, but he'll get his. Keep us posted with updates. :cheers:

MojoRisin

Thanks guys. I have minimum coverage on the bike ($1,000 deductible) so I'll be paying the bill. I was on the ground and by the time I had the presence of mind to look they were a mile down the road. All I know is it was a white minivan or suv. No witnesses unfortunately. I called the cops and filed a report, but he told me there was nothing they could do with the little bit of information I gave them.

But anyway after getting the shifter somewhat straightened out I am able to ride it. I just need to get the front end realigned. I'm assuming the fiberglass piece on the front of the thank is easy to replace. there is one minor scuff on the engine a little scratch on the end cap on the bars. Overall I was very lucky. I was going to order a new pipe yesterday, but now it's very clear to me that I have to get these POS mirrors replaced. They are so fricking worthless that I'm not even in the habit of looking in them to see if someone is coming up behind me. I'm pretty sure If there were decent mirrors on the bike this whole incident would have never happened. Live and learn.

TeleRob

Any CSI magic you can ask the cops to look at? Video cameras from stores or cash machines? Traffic lights or intersections?

D

Deleted member 438

Thanks guys. I have minimum coverage on the bike ($1,000 deductible) so I'll be paying the bill. I was on the ground and by the time I had the presence of mind to look they were a mile down the road. All I know is it was a white minivan or suv. No witnesses unfortunately. I called the cops and filed a report, but he told me there was nothing they could do with the little bit of information I gave them.

But anyway after getting the shifter somewhat straightened out I am able to ride it. I just need to get the front end realigned. I'm assuming the fiberglass piece on the front of the thank is easy to replace. there is one minor scuff on the engine a little scratch on the end cap on the bars. Overall I was very lucky. I was going to order a new pipe yesterday, but now it's very clear to me that I have to get these POS mirrors replaced. They are so fricking worthless that I'm not even in the habit of looking in them to see if someone is coming up behind me. I'm pretty sure If there were decent mirrors on the bike this whole incident would have never happened. Live and learn.

That sucks!!! I've never had anything but full coverage on all of my bikes. I got an awesome rate at American Family Insurance, $325 for the year $500 deductibles and 100/300 limits.

MojoRisin

I live out in the sticks so no cameras or anything that would have recordeed it. And the insurance costs me $46.00 a month. Guess I should shop around and find something better.

mikefz8

That sucks!!! I've never had anything but full coverage on all of my bikes. I got an awesome rate at American Family Insurance, $325 for the year $500 deductibles and 100/300 limits.

That is a great rate! I have same deducts and limits, but pay twice that rate...Of course this is my first bike I have insured and am 29 (maybe that could be a factor) I shopped around and ended up with progressive.

D

Deleted member 438

I switched from Progressive to Amfam as I was paying 3x as much. BTW, I'm 31.

mikefz8

I switched from Progressive to Amfam as I was paying 3x as much. BTW, I'm 31.

How long have you been riding though? This is my first year w/ a motorcycles license...I rode dirtbikes my whole life growing up just never owned a streetbike or had a moto license

TeleRob

I also just switched insurance to AmFam from Progressive when I insured my FZ8. I already was insuring a Vstar 1100 too. I found that Progressive weights their rates more on comp/coll, while AmFam charges higher for personal medical coverage.

Hereward

Foreward tank shroud is easy to replace, rear brake lever and gear shift are steel so should easily bend back into shape........the scuffed bar end, have your bars bent as well? Mine got knocked over, bar end saved the day but the bars bent, only a quater inch on one side but it was really noticable, felt like the whole front end was out of whack LOL Again easy to replace though but don't forget the bar end inserts.

Might be worth frequenting the accident site a few times at the same time of day, you may spot the vehicle!

FZER

Avid Rider
If you have a good relationship with your dealership you'd be suprised what they could do for you if you file a insurance claim........

Factory parts are expensive!!!