Help! How To Do FZ1 Rear Shock Swap

jmsandy77

Hi All,
I'll try to make this quick and to the point. Just received a very low mileage FZ1 shock and am looking to install. As I can see and understand it's just a bolt up top and bottom to undo and remove. My question is what's the best method to raise the rear end to do this? My sources are a bit limited and I don't want to have to do anything sketchy. I live in an apartment complex and may be able to use ratchet straps to pipes running along the ceiling in the parking garage but am not sure. I have a rear stand but doubt this'll help as it still maintains pressure on the rear. Any methods and tips for this install would be greatly appreciated.

GarryM

When I did mine I used a floor jack under the cat to lift the rear of the bike. I used a piece of wood under the side stand to reduce the lean angle of the bike. You actually don't need to lift the bike up very high, just enough to take the weight off the rear wheel. Loosen all the nuts and bolts first with the bike on the ground, jack the bike up till the rear wheel is just about to leave the ground, swap out all the bits and pieces, lower the bike and do everything up tight. It's a simple job, it took me around 30 minutes.

97audia4

here is how i did mine

Woody146

Banned
I took mine to a suspension shop...he had the rear shock off and the new one on in literally 10 minutes...he took the weight off the rear tire with a jack under the headers jacked up just enough so it would be verticle. Undid bolts and bolted new one on.

Seems like a lot to take off the rear wheel and lift the whole bike with a fork lift(not the first person I have seen do this...) when it is not needed.

matto27

I went to home depot and bought 2 eye bolts for 97 cents each and screwed them into the studs of the ceiling of my garage. Then I used ratchet straps from the bolts to the passenger pegs and ratcheted it up until it took all the weight off of the rear of the bike. It worked out very well. I still use the bolts to hoist the bike to oil my chain. BALLIN ON A BUDGET!