Heal Tech GIPro X-Type Gear Indicator

charris247

Not that I needed it, but I just purchased a Heal Tech gear indicator for my 2011 FZ8. I believe the install is pretty straight forward (plug and play/splice two wires).

My questions for you all are:

1) Has anyone on here installed on FZ8
2) Is there anything special I should be keeping in mind when I install it this weekend.
3) Are you satisfied with how it works.

Also I used the forum search and was not really able to find any helpful post. I have an FZ8 service manual so I think I am ok with locating the right wires I need to splice to, but any helpful suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter
It's a fairly simple mod, I did that and the speedo drd at the same time. It works great.

cambo

Avid Rider
I can't speak to how easy it is to install because I had rabbitman throw it in while he had everything opened up when installing the HID retrofit. He said it was a piece of cake...but he's also very good with electric/DIY stuff.

I agree with DanS...it works great and I love it. Since motorcycle gearing isn't second nature to me yet, I like being able to glance where I'm at. I'm sure the need will eventually disappear though.

If anything, it's more bling for the heads up display. When you first start it, it's another set of lights that flashes and looks cool, lol!

charris247

What made you go with the SpeedoDRD vs the Heal Tech Speedo Healer. I was also considering installing a Speedo Healer but am curious if you considered it as well

DanS

Commuter
What made you go with the SpeedoDRD vs the Heal Tech Speedo Healer. I was also considering installing a Speedo Healer but am curious if you considered it as well
I had a Speedo Healer on my last bike and it worked great, I decided to try the Speedo DRD because it is much smaller and almost $50 less. The Speedo Healer is easier to calibrate but the DRD works great too.

DanS

Commuter
I can't speak to how easy it is to install because I had rabbitman throw it in while he had everything opened up when installing the HID retrofit. He said it was a piece of cake...but he's also very good with electric/DIY stuff.

I agree with DanS...it works great and I love it. Since motorcycle gearing isn't second nature to me yet, I like being able to glance where I'm at. I'm sure the need will eventually disappear though.

If anything, it's more bling for the heads up display. When you first start it, it's another set of lights that flashes and looks cool, lol!
I haven't tried to shift into 7th gear since I installed it :D

charris247

Hardest part is lifting the tank. Very easy wiring it up.
I ran the bike until I hit the reserve this week (~.90 Gal) in preparation for this. The last time I needed to lift it to change my air filter and run my HID wiring harness I had not thought of it and the tank was more than 3/4 full (Heavy).

Luckily that was back in January so I remembered.

Sprinterv1

Fz8 gipro x type install

Can any of you guys help, I have a fz8 2010, no abs,
I only have the green wire from the gipro to connect to finish the install but for the life of me I can not identify the cranckshaft position sensor wire, please help me :)

bpassmore8

Can any of you guys help, I have a fz8 2010, no abs,
I only have the green wire from the gipro to connect to finish the install but for the life of me I can not identify the cranckshaft position sensor wire, please help me :)

I had a hell of a time with that too as I couldn't find clear pictures of where to tap. I ended up finding one for a different brand of gear indicator. After looking at it I opened up the wire loom on the left side under the air box. There are 2 and it is the one on top. After cutting it open there is a grey wire that you will tap in to. Make sure you get all the way through the wire with your splice. I didn't and had to remove everything and tighten it up after the gipro wouldn't calibrate. After I got all the way through it I was able to calibrate it without a problem. It has only been one day but it has worked fine so far

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/...B-B50D-5B2A7F9446F5-5449-0000068FE093FAFC.jpg