headlight switch

curly86

Ok cant seem to find a thread on how to do this sooo. How do I put a switch on the headlight so I will be able to turn it off and on? I've seen a few bikes on here with it and thought it was a great idea.

Last edited:

master paper clip

Ok cant seem to find a thread on how to do this sooo. How do I put a switch on the headlight so I will be able to turn it off and on? I've seen a few bikes on here with it and thought it was a great idea.

I would Assume just wire a switch inline with the headlights power wire

Niko

If you want to connect to the ignition plus signal, you can do it to a wire which under the tank (on the right side). There is a square plug which is used with the Yamaha alarm (not imported in France, I don't know for US)

The plug :

Pic was taken on my previous bike but the plug is the same on all Yamaha.

You can use the 87 wire.

We've use it to connect heated hand grips on a friend's bike, I connected my Gi Pro and it works well.

You don't touch to the original beam so no problem with warranty.

H

Hoover

Just pull off the headlight shroud and find the ground wire that goes to the headlight. Wire in a 2 way switch to that and you should be fine.
I question why you would want to do this though. Apart from making yourself more vunerable, in most states, and Illinois is one of them, headlights are required to be on at all times on any motorcycle made after 1978.

curly86

i dont plan on riding with it off, just would like to have the option to keep it off while warming the bike up at night and so on

Guillaume

Just pull off the headlight shroud and find the ground wire that goes to the headlight. Wire in a 2 way switch to that and you should be fine.
I question why you would want to do this though. Apart from making yourself more vunerable, in most states, and Illinois is one of them, headlights are required to be on at all times on any motorcycle made after 1978.

Well then I'd just grind the VIN number off and make it say that the bike was manufactured in 1977. Easy!
I'm sure insurance would be soooo much cheaper too. It's a win-win.