Have Fun but be Careful: Couple of Nines Down!

NoNine4me

I just popped in over at the FZ-09 forum and a couple of guys have gone down in the last couple of days. Thankfully neither one got hurt other than bumps or bruises. Looks like they will be OK. This winter weather can sneak up on us when we are "jonesing" for a ride. I know I stiffen up in the cold and don't ride as smoothly, and the cold can sap your strength and affect your judgment. Tires don't stick as well, pavement's cold, light fades a lot sooner, shadows are different on the roads. Gotta watch those tire pressures as well, a little less in winter sometimes helps.

Keep the rubber side down and be safe out there!

Perron

I just popped in over at the FZ-09 forum and a couple of guys have gone down in the last couple of days. Thankfully neither one got hurt other than bumps or bruises. Looks like they will be OK. This winter weather can sneak up on us when we are "jonesing" for a ride. I know I stiffen up in the cold and don't ride as smoothly, and the cold can sap your strength and affect your judgment. Tires don't stick as well, pavement's cold, light fades a lot sooner, shadows are different on the roads. Gotta watch those tire pressures as well, a little less in winter sometimes helps.

Keep the rubber side down and be safe out there!

Yeah ride safe! Lucky bastards that keep riding during winter season... Here's a shot from my hometown took on october 22th.. My 8 is resting since then..

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Yesterday was 78*F and sunny in North Florida. Today was dreary and 58ish. All the bikers, move to FL. All the snow birds, go home. We can all have fun all year 'round.

F3NIX

58 degrees here in AZ but sunny skys ahead again...70s this next week :)

Sent from my phone

thach1130

Yesterday was 78*F and sunny in North Florida. Today was dreary and 58ish. All the bikers, move to FL. All the snow birds, go home. We can all have fun all year 'round.

Meh, you also have those humid summer in combination with the heat. I wouldn't want to be out and risk heat stroke during that time.

RoadKill

i lived in florida, and i can not stand riding on straight flat roads everywhere i go.
you guys can have that ;)

pajkrubi

i lived in florida, and i can not stand riding on straight flat roads everywhere i go.
you guys can have that ;)

I agree 100%! I lived there for 14 years and hated it. Constant miserable heat and flat, featureless roads. We may have winter up here where we can't ride but ya'll have several months a year where it's so hot it's miserable to ride. Not to mention you couldn't go anywhere without wondering if somebody was gonna steal your $hit. Up here I just put my helmet on my pillion peg and walk off with no worries. Right before we left our neighborhood (A nice new home neighborhood too) had several houses get broken into in broad daylight. That whole state is becoming a ghetto. I will say though that in northern FL it's still much nicer and still has a lot of small towns with small town life but in north central florida (I lived in Ocala, marion county) and down is a hell hole.

NoNine4me

Another Nine went down; just noticed a new post on the -09 forum. Apparently it was dark, and the rider says he may have been partly at fault. A car turned left in front of him on a two-way street. Sucks.

Rotaryknight

Yeah ride safe! Lucky bastards that keep riding during winter season... Here's a shot from my hometown took on october 22th.. My 8 is resting since then..

if I had a 500 cc or less moto with some knobbie tires, I would definitely ride that lol

frogger

its been in around 100 -110 degress here. more chance of loosing traction in the sweat that drips off you lol. I think with the new 9's they are a cheap bike but have quite a lot of performance so new riders will get caught out.

Marthy

There's going to have more... The $8K sticker price make it affordable entry level bike. Not a liter bike but has thr torque of one very early in the power band.

The bike need some respect and throttle control is everything.

Also the rear suspension need to be address asap. The spring is way too stiff for light weight rider and jot enough damping. Im 185 lbs all gear up and my a$$ was getting launch every time I rode over a good bump. I swap the shock for a 2008-10 ZX-10... best $65.00 mod I ever did! Spring is 40 lb/in softer and damping is years better. 3 ways adjuster too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NoNine4me

There's going to have more... The $8K sticker price make it affordable entry level bike. Not a liter bike but has thr torque of one very early in the power band.

The bike need some respect and throttle control is everything.

Also the rear suspension need to be address asap. The spring is way too stiff for light weight rider and jot enough damping. Im 185 lbs all gear up and my a$$ was getting launch every time I rode over a good bump. I swap the shock for a 2008-10 ZX-10... best $65.00 mod I ever did! Spring is 40 lb/in softer and damping is years better. 3 ways adjuster too...

You are 100 percent correct. I know some guys are blaming tires and everything else but when you put that kind of engine in a light bike you need an educated throttle hand. Something like 60 lbs/ft at 2,000 rpm...WTF! I almost high-sided my first sportbike back in the '80's doing the same thing, but fortunately got it under control 'cause I'd done a lot of dirt riding prior. It's not the tire, it's not the pressure, it's the rider. When I sport tour I run 36/42 front/rear. When scratching the canyons, 32/34. 20-30 years ago the tires we had were just hard rubber doughnuts compared to the stock tires on any bike you can buy now. What we are getting stock today is better than race rubber of 20 years ago!

This thread is interesting, I know you are also a member of the FZ-09 forum so you have probably seen it (I am not a member, just lurk once in a while).

crashing wonders

Thanks for that!;)

pigdog

the 8 looks great & do go fast, get on a 9 first time & land on your @$$.

Last edited:

Marthy

You are 100 percent correct. I know some guys are blaming tires and everything else but when you put that kind of engine in a light bike you need an educated throttle hand. Something like 60 lbs/ft at 2,000 rpm...WTF! I almost high-sided my first sportbike back in the '80's doing the same thing, but fortunately got it under control 'cause I'd done a lot of dirt riding prior. It's not the tire, it's not the pressure, it's the rider. When I sport tour I run 36/42 front/rear. When scratching the canyons, 32/34. 20-30 years ago the tires we had were just hard rubber doughnuts compared to the stock tires on any bike you can buy now. What we are getting stock today is better than race rubber of 20 years ago!

This thread is interesting, I know you are also a member of the FZ-09 forum so you have probably seen it (I am not a member, just lurk once in a while).

crashing wonders

Thanks for that!;)

Oh $hit! I scroll through the whole thread. There was some funny stuff there. Bike don't crash themselves... Not respecting a 400 lbs bike with 50 ft/lb at 2K RPM and a very aggressive throttle response do!

1/3 throttle in first gear ajd the wheel come up... without even trying. On mine I blip the throttle in second around 5K RPM and the front end come right up!

hlmiskelly

Almost bought it yesterday when a minivan in the right hand lane, with its right turn signal on, did a u-turn across the left hand lane in front of me. Fortunately I was able to brake and lean in right behind it, my left foot missing the minivan's rear bumper by inches.

The SUV in back of me locked up its wheels, tires squealing loud enough for me to hear them despite my earplugs, helmet and screams of "Son of a b**ch! Son of a b***ch!". The minivan did not even hit its brakes once and just kept driving off in the opposite direction.

NoNine4me

Oh $hit! I scroll through the whole thread. There was some funny stuff there. Bike don't crash themselves... Not respecting a 400 lbs bike with 50 ft/lb at 2K RPM and a very aggressive throttle response do!

1/3 throttle in first gear ajd the wheel come up... without even trying. On mine I blip the throttle in second around 5K RPM and the front end come right up!

Did you unsubscribe from the FZ-09 forum?