Group Riding wreck

RoadKill

I decided to join a local sportbike group that does large group rides to see what it was like riding with a group. I RSVP'd for a ride to Bear Mountain, i have been there myself about 3 times this month and thought it would be cool.

But on the way to BM the leader was really pushing hard through the city and was setting a pace that people were having trouble with.

On a road i had never been on the guy in front of me touched the concrete wall with his tires on a sharp turn. I thought he was gone for a second. As we went over the bridge, we were lane splitting throughout the whole city. the leader made a wrong turn and went around the block going the opposite way on a one way street. All 25 bikes still following.

Just outside the city we stopped for gas and i learned that one guy actually hit the wall with his bike and barely hung on. (this was an on-ramp to a bridge with a sharp turn or two)

At this point i was getting worried about my decision to do this group ride thing but I pressed on.

So just starting on the twisties we were going fast and the guy behind me was coming up on my inside so i moved out of the way and that screwed up my line for the next curve, i was already coming in hot and i had to slow down hitting my brakes to hard brought the bike straight up and i went off the road. I hit a log (5 feet long 2ft diameter) and went right between two large boulders. After knocking the log out of the way I came to an abrupt stop and went over the handle bars. I landed on my back (I was in full gear).

So the damage. My back has a bruise and everything else is fine.

The bike isnt that happy though. My front wheel is pointing to the left and may need some work. The forks are not aligned. The headlight is lens broken. MY HID is fine. A few parts of the headlight need to be replaced. The Fuel tank cowling needs to be replaced along with the front fender.

Just adding up the parts on cheapcycleparts dot com = $657.00
I dropped the bike off at the shop to fix the front end and wheel.
This wreck will probably be in the $1200 range when all is done.

This group ride was really stupid, is severely hurting my wallet and could have cost someone they're life.

I'm not going on anymore group rides.

07cobaltLScoupe

that sucks to hear about your bike and you hurting a little bit but glad you're ok for the most part.

and my opinion of group riding is about the same, me and my dad could ride along side each other all day, and sometimes even just riding with my best friend worries me a little bit because he rides harder and pushes his bike's (R6) boundaries farther than i push my FZ8's. my thoughts are the more people you have in a group means the more people that may struggle to keep up, especially if you get a leader that doesn't know how to truly lead

cxa0897

that really sucks. the best thing to do is just split up into smaller groups, at least then there's less risk if you have to group up

beyond that, the city is definitely not the place to pushing it hard though, streets are crap, drivers completely careless, and its so easy to miss a turn.

aj700

Finding the right group is the key to having fun.
At the End of the Day we dont drive to stand on the podium. Thats my survival instinct. :) Luckily My frequency matches with the Guy whom i drive with.
Take Care.

n00b

Avid Rider
that sucks. My attitude is the first time I lay it down might be the last time i'll ride a bike. So I just don't push it - group ride or not.

Bajaedition

DO not blame the group ride
Blame the group
I have ridden with a group for years but we had rules
one of the first was new guys in the rear
second was no passing except on the freeway
third was anyone crossing the center line no matter how small amount went over, is off the ride immediately.

we rode with other groups and broke off a lot when we saw guys doing stupid stuff, one big nono is riding above your ability and that got you kicked also.

as a group we probably rode together 30 weekends a year and we stayed together for over 12 years when I moved. I can say we had very few incidents and were considered one of the groups to ride with. But we all were very safety conscious.

I remember one day we were gong go up to Arrowhead and the group we were with we all saw stuff and decided to bail, that night we learned that one of the idiots had run into anothers rear end and went off the mountain. He was the lucky guy, the guy he hit lost his leg and he was a friend of ours.

I would have left the group when I saw the pace they were setting in town.

Sorry for being blunt, but being 55 I have put quite a few miles on sportsbikes, and still have my body intact. More guys get killed not respecting the street. It is not a closed course, passing in the twisties and crossing the center line is what gets more sport riders killed than anything else.

socal

DO not blame the group ride
Blame the group
I have ridden with a group for years but we had rules
one of the first was new guys in the rear
second was no passing except on the freeway
third was anyone crossing the center line no matter how small amount went over, is off the ride immediately.

we rode with other groups and broke off a lot when we saw guys doing stupid stuff, one big nono is riding above your ability and that got you kicked also.

as a group we probably rode together 30 weekends a year and we stayed together for over 12 years when I moved. I can say we had very few incidents and were considered one of the groups to ride with. But we all were very safety conscious.

I remember one day we were gong go up to Arrowhead and the group we were with we all saw stuff and decided to bail, that night we learned that one of the idiots had run into anothers rear end and went off the mountain. He was the lucky guy, the guy he hit lost his leg and he was a friend of ours.

I would have left the group when I saw the pace they were setting in town.

Sorry for being blunt, but being 55 I have put quite a few miles on sportsbikes, and still have my body intact. More guys get killed not respecting the street. It is not a closed course, passing in the twisties and crossing the center line is what gets more sport riders killed than anything else.

so true, groups need rules, its your life and your bike some times its not ok to follow the pack

grant696

Sorry to hear, but glad your'e alive. I also don't like riding with others that much. They just want to ride completely insane everywhere we go and I end up riding by myself because I want to live.

FZ8.UK

oooh no

Gosh thats cack, get well soon to you and your steed,
I only ride with guys i have ridden with for years and trust, i know there limits and they know mine.

If i find miyslef in a unfamiliar group, i only ride my own bike and to my limits,

take cae, heal quickly

RoadKill

good advice from everyone. i should have taken off when i saw all the hooligan riding etc. or at the most hung at the back of the group. it was a hard lesson but i will not let it be wasted. I like riding by myself anyway. I know when i am hungry or have to stop to use the restroom etc.

Tango59

Glad it wasn't worse. I'm not fond of group rides outside of the guys I ride with. I do charity rides a couple of times a year but me and the guys I ride with usually drop way back. The only group ride I get excited about is the one I missed yesterday because of work. Classic bikes and scooters. Top speeds are about 40mph LOL

TalonX

Sheesh sounds like a bunch of tools. I'm very happy I found a group of older people to ride with. They ride safe and sane without being Harley slow.

schmittz

Was this on saturday? I saw a ride to bear mt planned...

Also, You know I'm just a few minutes away, so let me know if you need help with anything!

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Sorry that you were in an accident. Definitely glad you're ok. This is why I don't normally ride in groups that ride more aggressively that myself. Plus, if a group is riding too fast, I will not push past my limits to keep up.

Sent from my Transform Ultra using Tapatalk 2

Blanchy

Resist the pack mentality. It's part of our make up but should be resisted on bikes for our own survival.

charris247

I ride up to bear mountain all the time with a buddy of mine and those twisties can be treacherous, especially once you hit the mountain. The roads keep switching from one to two lanes and the whole time cars are speeding past.

I mostly ride with just one other person but definitely would only consider a group ride if it was with people I knew and trusted.

Glad your OK. Hope you get the bike back on the roads soon.

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
That's too bad your bike suffered some damage due to another's mistakes... glad to hear you weren't hurt worse..

Being older, I'll never join a large group ride like that... Even in my youth, I only rode with those I knew, and we kept it to smaller groups, usually 3 guys, max 5 to 6...