Gaz with one tank..

Nemo

Hi there. I was wondering how many kms can u guys do with one full tank of gas???
Mine dsnt seems to go over 150km .. Sport drving tho...

Blackfin

I get to about 150kms and can top it off with ~9 to 12L of gas depending on how I've ridden up to that point. I have a PC-V with Dynojet's "O2 optimizer", DQS, Akra header and Yoshi R77. It can be pretty stinky at stop-lights but the overall fuel economy isn't crazy low or worrisome.

Bagman

Are we all about Shell 91 for no ethenol in our gas, or do most just run lowest octane regular? I use Shell 91. Not sure if it would affect mileage. When I fill up, I always top up so the gas is just touching the metal "grate" in the neck of the tank. Gets me 220kms to the tank. Probably could eek out 240-250 if I drove very conservatively and rode it to well into the F-Trip.

Blackfin

I use Sunoco Ultra 94 in mine.

If I highway drive sanely I think it'll do in the 220s before hitting reserve. But it's a pig around town and screwing around :)

npeifer2308

Here in the US, I use 93 Octane and depending on my driving style for that tank I can get anywhere from 200-225kms

I use premium gas. This past weekend I rode 166 miles (267km). When I filled up, it took 3.9 gallons. I was about 25 miles (40 km) into F-Trip.

HeresMyMind

Here in Connecticut in the US. I average 40.84 mpg US-spec running 93 octane. I can see 44-47mpg cruising around 50, or 37 if I am being a bit aggressive on the back roads
I have tracked every single gas tank since I bought the bike with 0.8 miles on it, price, amount, and mileage

-B

Side Note: MY gas light comes on around 130-135 miles. and I usually fill up just about 3 gallons
IMG_6506 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Bagman

I use Sunoco Ultra 94 in mine.

If I highway drive sanely I think it'll do in the 220s before hitting reserve. But it's a pig around town and screwing around :)

Consider switching to Shell 91. I'm pretty sure nothing more than 87 octane is required by Yamaha in the owner's manual. If that's true than anything above 87 is technically a waste, and doing nothing for the bike. Petro Canada's 94 (previously Sunoco 94) has just as much ethanol as their lesser octane options they sell. However, Shell 91 is a higher octane (if we think it makes a difference on the bike), but for certain no ethanol makes a difference and Shell 91 has none.

Fazer 8

If you feel you might be getting a better additive package or something with the higher octane fuels, go for it, but otherwise you're just wasting money, and probably losing a little mileage and power, by using higher octane fuel than necessary.

I don't think I've ever had to refill before 200 km, typically more around about 240-250 (about 150 miles).

Fazer 8

Unless you've raised the compression ratio, which would pretty much mean new pistons, I doubt if the octane requirement has changed. Different cams and/or (particularly) ignition timing <i>could</i> possibly require it, especially if timing was advanced significantly. Stock does not. I guess there's no way to know for sure unless you hear pinging or had a knock sensor with a data logger mounted to the engine.

TorontoAlex

220kms on country roads. 200km or less at 130-140km/hr on highways. The reserve is a good 50kms i think.

Lotsa canucks here!

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
With non "spirited" driving, mostly highway (the occasional hard twist of the throttle) I usually fill up at 250kms+ with 13 to 14 litres, that's usually right before or just after F-trip comes on...

Bagman

If you feel you might be getting a better additive package or something with the higher octane fuels, go for it, but otherwise you're just wasting money, and probably losing a little mileage and power, by using higher octane fuel than necessary....

I agree with you on octane. Except for those that are tuned for higher octane - like HeresMyMind said, I don't think 91, 94, etc.. help the engine or mileage. It's the no ethenol of Shell 91 that I like. Ethenol is like watering down your gas! lol. What do you run, Fazer 8?

Blackfin

Consider switching to Shell 91. I'm pretty sure nothing more than 87 octane is required by Yamaha in the owner's manual. If that's true than anything above 87 is technically a waste, and doing nothing for the bike. Petro Canada's 94 (previously Sunoco 94) has just as much ethanol as their lesser octane options they sell. However, Shell 91 is a higher octane (if we think it makes a difference on the bike), but for certain no ethanol makes a difference and Shell 91 has none.

I use 94 in my cars (a supercharged Mustang and a Stage 2-tuned STi). I don't use it in the bike for any other reason than the equivalent of muscle memory I guess. Hell, I even put the stuff in my old lawn mower :) (I usually tank-up the jerry can while filling one of the cars so...)

Shell Canada's website indicates that their "V-Power NiTRO+ premium" has no ethanol so I'll give it a try. I assume that the "V-power" premium available across southern Ontario are all this "NiTRO" blend?

Keach

Unless you've raised the compression ratio, which would pretty much mean new pistons, I doubt if the octane requirement has changed. Different cams and/or (particularly) ignition timing <i>could</i> possibly require it, especially if timing was advanced significantly. Stock does not. I guess there's no way to know for sure unless you hear pinging or had a knock sensor with a data logger mounted to the engine.

Some of the flashes do advance the timing and they recommend running premium higher octane fuel. I'm not sure how necessary/beneficial it really is. I have turbojoe's flash for a full exhaust and he recommends premium. I ran a couple of tanks of 87 and had piss pour milage (although a lot of that had to do with twisting and ripping the throttle non stop after the flash lol). I've ran 91 or 93 the last few tanks and my milage improved from like mid 30s to 42 my last tank. I regularly saw 42 mpg when stock and with FT slip on flash. Was really worried about milage my first tank after turbojoe's flash with my headers but feeling relieved after my last fill up. Your right wrist has more of effect on milage than most of the mods we are doing to this bike. Again as I mentioned I've seen 42mpg with stock bike, stock plus coffman, coffman with flash tune ecu air filter and airbox mod, R77 and FT flash/airbox mod and air filter, and now turbojoe's ecu arrow headers R77 air filter/ airbox mod and r6 throttle tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagman

I use 94 in my cars (a supercharged Mustang and a Stage 2-tuned STi). I don't use it in the bike for any other reason than the equivalent of muscle memory I guess. Hell, I even put the stuff in my old lawn mower :) (I usually tank-up the jerry can while filling one of the cars so...)

Shell Canada's website indicates that their "V-Power NiTRO+ premium" has no ethanol so I'll give it a try. I assume that the "V-power" premium available across southern Ontario are all this "NiTRO" blend?

Sweet cars!!! I would imagine those two cars have just reason to run 94 octane, but dangit that's an expensive muscle memory. 91 is $! 94 = $$$. LOL.

As far as I'm concerned, all the 'V-Power,' 'NiTRO,' 'plus,' 'power awesome-sauce' is just marketing. lol. I remember my old carbureted 2005 EX500 loved Shell 91 simply because of the zero ethanol. I bet your old lawn mower would work very well on it. I also noticed a lot of gas stations up north offer no ethenol in their 91 blends too. Ultramar, for example. If I could find no ethanol in an 87 octane for all my vehicles (no fancy cars here) & Fazer8 that would be ideal, but it just doesn't exist.

Fazer 8

I run whatever I find in the "regular" pump wherever I happen to stop for gas. Life's too short to worry about stuff like this, IMHO. The slight decrease in power and mileage due to ethanol content doesn't worry me, and it doesn't stay in the tank long enough for water absorption to be a concern. I might look for ethanol-free gas before parking it for the winter.

IanLeMasters

Amen to that.

I run 87. Stock except slip on. Unless your tuner says this is a -- program. Run 87. Ethanol free only if it sits a lot.

Anything else is a waste of money. Don't mean to sound like a pric about it. It just is the truth.
As stated in the manual.

I empty about a tank a day to day-and-a-half, and I've tried them all. The only difference I have ever noticed is when using 87 from a Kroger brand store there is a slight ping when revving off idle. Otherwise, mileage was identical and power from butt Dyno was no different.
I usually get 140 (miles) before the f-trip and have gone 179 out of a tank that was bone dry ran out of gas. I commonly see 160 out of a tank.

Save yo dollars mayn!! 😀

Blackfin

Amen to that.

I run 87. Stock except slip on. Unless your tuner says this is a -- program. Run 87. Ethanol free only if it sits a lot.

Anything else is a waste of money. Don't mean to sound like a pric about it. It just is the truth.
As stated in the manual.

I empty about a tank a day to day-and-a-half, and I've tried them all. The only difference I have ever noticed is when using 87 from a Kroger brand store there is a slight ping when revving off idle. Otherwise, mileage was identical and power from butt Dyno was no different.
I usually get 140 (miles) before the f-trip and have gone 179 out of a tank that was bone dry ran out of gas. I commonly see 160 out of a tank.

Save yo dollars mayn!! &#55357;&#56832;

But that's the whole reason to run a higher octane fuel: to prevent detonation.

Audible detonation is not a good thing and not worth a few cents per litre to me. If you're hearing it when the engine is unloaded ("revving off idle") how do you know it's not occurring at other times, when conditions for serious detonation are present (e.g. when the engine is more heavily loaded and cylinder pressures are higher)? With the exhaust noise, wind noise etc, it could be happening and you wouldn't necessarily be able to pick it out over the din.

To each his own. Run the fuel you want and I'll run what I want.