Gas gage not reading right

FZ8Grid

Since i bought the bike 3 weeks ago iv noticed im only putting in 2.4-2.6 g of gas at one time because its flashing on the last bar. BUT i clearly have more in the tank then what its reading.

Any ideas on why its not reading right?

hypo

3 week old bike? other than a faulty sending unit INSIDE the gas tank, I can't. Not sure if they use floats like in the old days or what to measure how much gas is in the tank though. that should be covered under warranty for sure. although since its beginning of riding season probably, you may lose your ride for awhile if you have to leave it there... I'd bring it into the shop you bought it from and raise hell with the sales guy and use HIM to get you into a conversation with the maintenance crew to get a fast repair or to look at it... and if they send away the sales guy and tell you it will take a month to fix it, you go back out to the sales guy and scream holy murder in front of him so that it doesn't...

Ivy33

Since i bought the bike 3 weeks ago iv noticed im only putting in 2.4-2.6 g of gas at one time because its flashing on the last bar. BUT i clearly have more in the tank then what its reading.

Any ideas on why its not reading right?

This is the exact same thing happening with me. Mine flashes on the last bar but, when I go to fill it up, it only takes around 2.5 gallons.

FZ8Grid, did you ever figure out what caused this? I am going to have my 600 mile service soon so I'm going to have them check it out then.

Everyone else, how far down does your fuel level get before the bar flashes?

FZ8Grid

sadly my FZ8 was murdered by a cavalier. Dumb ass pulled out right in front of me to make a left turn. So i never got a chance to ask the dealer about it.

when his insurance pays for my new fz8 ill see if it has the same issue.

hypo

I tested some theories, and I have at least 60 or so miles left in the tank when the light starts blinking. It definitely seems to be going off early, but they probably want the owners to keep the tank at least half full and fill up more often.

Ivy33

I tested some theories, and I have at least 60 or so miles left in the tank when the light starts blinking. It definitely seems to be going off early, but they probably want the owners to keep the tank at least half full and fill up more often.

That's what I thought at first too but then the flashing bar is ultimately useless at that point because it warns me way too early. Mine is warning me when I have around 1.5 gallons still in the tank. Also, I don't think everyone is having the same issue.

I called the salesperson today and they are going to fix it, or at least look at it, when I take the bike in for the 600 service. They didn't think that sounded right either.

I'd love to be able to test it out to see how many miles I have left if I let it go. It almost makes me wish I had the reserve switch like I did on my old bike to try it out.

Ivy33

sadly my FZ8 was murdered by a cavalier. Dumb ass pulled out right in front of me to make a left turn. So i never got a chance to ask the dealer about it.

when his insurance pays for my new fz8 ill see if it has the same issue.

I'm glad you're ok though!

casefc3s

I get about 2.5-3g when I fill up and that's either on the last bar or flashing bar. I've run it for an extra trip to work with the light flashing all the way, which is ~30 miles, and filled up just over 3.5g I think. Definitely not really useful to have the light flash that early, but it's also not a big deal either way. I know I get ~45mpg, so if I'm in a pinch I know how far I can get on a tank.

Ivy33

I get about 2.5-3g when I fill up and that's either on the last bar or flashing bar. I've run it for an extra trip to work with the light flashing all the way, which is ~30 miles, and filled up just over 3.5g I think. Definitely not really useful to have the light flash that early, but it's also not a big deal either way. I know I get ~45mpg, so if I'm in a pinch I know how far I can get on a tank.

That's a good point. I haven't really calculated my mpg yet so I'll do that first. That way, even if the bar is flashing, I can have a rough idea of how far I have to go.

djcecil

i put gps on bike for multiple reasons, to prove the speedo is off by 3-7mph depending on how fast you are traveling, also it keeps tracks of mileage and on a 300+ mile trip doing average 80mph i got 44.9 mpg. but mostly put it on to go out on country roads, get lost and to press the "go home" set on shortest route is the most fun i have ever had on a bike. i think the rpm is the only accurate thing about the inst cluster, but if someone hooks up a second one they might prove that wrong also.

matt73

I am having the same problem. Filled mine up when the gauge started flashing about 210kms and it still took about 6litres. Sounds like it might be normal from the previous posts.

C

calscrazy

each fill up is about 2.5g for me. not that big a deal for me. keeps me from having to walk 8 miles to a gas station. ducati said i could 15 miles when the light came on on the monster. 1 mile later the bike dies. 8 miles froma gas station. talk about pissed!!!

i do the same as djcecil when out riding. love the "go home" button when i get out and about.

TundraTim

I filled mine yesterday with about 7 miles on the "F-TRIP". The bike took 3.625 gallons. So, that would mean that about a gallon is left in the tank, which is normal when other bikes will start flashing a light at you.

For those putting in 2.5 gallons, are you sure you're filling it all of the way up? I stop the pump when gas is level at the bottom of the filler neck, shake the bike a few times, then top off again if needed.

MojoRisin

I've had this problem since I bought my bike. Here's my posts from the other forum. btw I'm ZoomZoom over there. :)

post 1
I've been having this issue with my guage, it was showing empty around90-100 miles, I'd fill it up and it'd take 1.5 - 2 gallons. Told the dealer who called Yamaha. They claimed there were no issues with the guage. Said to fill it up and run it till the red light flashes at that point you will have .9 gallon left. Filled it and drove it 79 miles the final hashmark started flashing, no red light. Reported back to the dealer who called Yamaha again. They are sending a new fuel pump, that's where the gas guage is and it's covered under warranty.

post 2
OK that was a total joke. I took my bike in and they said they would run a test to see what was wrong with the fuel gauge. When i went back to pick up the bike they said there was nothing wrong with the gauge. I asked them to explain how the a 4.5 gallon tank shows empty (last bar flashing) yet it only takes 2 - 2.5 gallons to completely refill it? The mechanic I talked to was understanding but said he had to do as he was instructed by Yamaha.

Don't get me wrong I love this bike but my experiences with Yamaha overall have been disapointing starting with their revolving credit socalled loan offering that thankfully i did not use, to the bad attitude of the dealership, the cost of the 1st service $275.00 and finally this a piss poor way of handling a very obvious problem with this gauge. Sorry to say my next bike (next year) will not be a Yamaha. (Was considering the R1, which is really what I wanted before setteling for this FZ8 due to my long layoff from riding).

mckshred

I've never seen my fuel gauge flash. I always fill up when the last 'block' displays. Usually get 3.5 gallons at refill. The center stand helps with full fill ups to the tank neck. Depending on how hard I push it and city vs. hwy riding, I get anywhere from 39-49 mpg with the 2 Bros Pipe. I just turned 1000 miles so hopefully my mpg will continue to improve. My old Seca had the LED Block fuel gauge, (one of the first bikes to have it, I think), so I was already used to the 'vagueness' of the fuel gauge.

UPDATE 1/5/13 : The gauge has flashed a few times, but I've never refilled anymore than about 3.9 gals. My mpg has improved and on occasion hits the low 50's. Best mpg I've ever gotten is 54 mpg.

Last edited:

MojoRisin

To be clear when I fuel I sit on my bike and make sure it is standing straight up. Regardless the fact that it takes 2 gallons to fill it when the light flashes tells me that the guage is way off.

hypo

GAUGE SHMAGE... I fill my tank after 120 miles and before 160 miles and when I forget, the bike reminds me and I learn a valuable lesson about consumption of fuel and how far you have to walk or how long you have to wait for someone to make fun of you for running out of gas.

teemo

I just wanted to bump this thread because this is a real issue. Yesterday I took my bike into the gas station to fill up after I saw it had 1 bar left. To my surprise, it only filled up 11 dollars worth of premium gas and so I scratched my head and it appears that my bike is probably affected by the same issue...

mikefz8

My fuel light has been...

My fuel light has been flashing right around 90 miles driven...I find this unacceptable especially since I used to be up around 40/42/mpg. On my last fill up (101 miles driven with 3.4 gallons to top it off) I am averaging 29.71/mpg Anyone have any suggestions? I always fill up with premium fuel (91 octane) at costco and I dont drive like a crazy idiot with a death wish. Also my work is less than 4 miles from my home. Temperatures are in the mid to high 50's right now where I live. Tire pressure is correct...Oil has recently been changed to full synthetic and I have just over 5K miles on her.

Last edited:
C

calscrazy

yamaha has a customer service division. if you call them they will tell you to go to your nearest yamaha dealer inform them of the problem. the dealer will probably have to keep the bike for about a week. it will need a complete pump and sender assy more than likely.