FZ8 with R1 Suspension/brake setup

Chriso21

Hey guys. I just upgraded my rear end to an R1 with Satan's awesome adapter and it is such a HUGE difference! I love it. Rides on rails now in comparison to stock!

However, now that i am going much faster everywhere I notice that the front end is way too soft and the front brakes are kind of wimpy, especially when I have the ole' lady on the back. I was considering a full R1 front end swap from eBay . I know this is a popular mod in FZ1 world, with plenty of posts about it. Is it LITERALLY the same challenge with the FZ8 in terms of parts and fitting issues, or it a different ball game for us?

Is it possible to just upgrade the springs/oil, and get a new front brake system with similar results? Or do I have to get the whole setup because of parts that fit together? If i replace the whole setup with R1 stuff, would it make my FZ8 less comfortable or change the chassis angle in a bad way?

I know this is a lot to upgrade, but i got my bike really cheaply, so throwing a bit of $ at it isn't out of the realm of reason.

Thanks!

Chriso21

I asked Satan in a P/M and this is is his response. Very insightful!

First, part of the handling improvement you noticed was likely because of changing the steering head geometry (rake & trail) from 25 degrees to a little more than 24 degrees (standard R1 geometry). This is because the adapter typically raises the rear end about 15-20mm. It improves turn-in quite a bit.

Now, the R1 front end. Swapping on the FZ8 is a bit more difficult than the FZ1. This is mainly because of differences in wheel, brakes, spacers and axles. Second, because the R1 fork tubes are shorter ('07-'08 about 7mm), using a substitution approach typically results in a lower front end, reducing rake & trail even more. At some point, insufficient steering rake results in an unstable front end at speed. Tank slapping is not good at 125 km. That is why the R1 has a steering damper. That being said, you can still lower the forks a few mm and still be safe.

The best R1 method is to swap a complete front end, including the triple trees which have a slightly lower profile upper which makes up for the tube length. If you use the '07-'08, you get the additional benefit of the 6-pot radial brakes. You will have to modify the nibs on the lower triple to give more swing angle as the R1 is restricted because of the clipons. Embarrassing in the parking lot!

In addition, the upper triple must be drilled for handlebar mounts. Best to reinforce the underside. I did a thread on the FZ1oa forum on the mods.

If you do not use the triples, the next best alternative is to swap the forks complete with a R1 wheel and brake setup. Anything less is a parts nightmare.

If you cannot find an R1 donor at a reasonable price ($500-$600 US), you might consider swapping springs & cartridges. Fork oil viscosity (& ambient riding temperature) make a big difference. If you are on the portly side, consider progressive springs. Although you wont have the same adjustment as the R1 tubes, you should have quite a bit of $$$ left.

If you stick with the FZ8 brakes, consider a R1 radial cylinder swap. It allows a bit more pressure on the pads. Other than that . . .

Chriso21

I went to a local motorcycle breaker and enquired about the cost of a full R1 front end. Wheels, rotars, calipers, brake lines, master cyclinder, forks, steering stem, both triple clamps. $1300!

I think for now I'm gonna do a race tech .95 spring change for my 200lbs, up the fork oil viscosity to 7.5, add braided brake lines and swap out the master cylinder for an R1 version. That should be about $300-$400.