FZ1 Talk

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I already know FB400 has some FZ1 questions and since a few members own one, let's answer some questions about this ride. :D

-Eric

FB400

Ok Eric, here's one for you. When I first started looking for a bike the FZ1 stuck out as THE bike to have. I loved the riding position, the way it looks and the performance. I did alot of reading and came across alot of chatter about supposed frame cracks on the 2nd gen models. Mostly '06 and '07 and in small numbers, but nonetheless it paused me long enough to think about it. When I trired the FZ6 on for size I found it fit about the same and delivered what I was looking for.. so with the FZ6 I went.

If the FZ8 is so closely linked to the FZ1 what are your feelings about the welded frame? One thing for sure I like one piece FZ6 frame alot better.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Ok Eric, here's one for you. When I first started looking for a bike the FZ1 stuck out as THE bike to have. I loved the riding position, the way it looks and the performance. I did alot of reading and came across alot of chatter about supposed frame cracks on the 2nd gen models. Mostly '06 and '07 and in small numbers, but nonetheless it paused me long enough to think about it. When I trired the FZ6 on for size I found it fit about the same and delivered what I was looking for.. so with the FZ6 I went.

If the FZ8 is so closely linked to the FZ1 what are your feelings about the welded frame? One thing for sure I like one piece FZ6 frame alot better.

Very good question! :tup:

The cracked frame was extremely limited to a very small production run. It was a programming issue with the welding robot that only put a single bead on the sections that join at the sides, just under the tank when it was supposed to lay down 3 beads, one centered and two stacked to either side. It was caught without too many making it out the door but it did cause problems for some people who's bikes slipped through the cracks. The difference is EASILY discernible and everyone who has the proper weld has never had a failure. I'm sorry that you were mislead with this. ;)

On a side note, there are just as many reports of the FZ6 frame cracking (again just a select few). Most reports are from Europe but this is more likely because the FZ6 sales there are a great deal more in numbers so the issue is a bit more prevalent. Here's a pic of one with the typical crack which is in the lower radius toward the rearset.

But, even as confident and I am about the welds, I will admit to checking them every so often *just to be sure* Now, on the FZ6? You can avoid any cracking by applying the proper torque setting to the engine mounts as everyone feels it is caused by loosening of these nuts and the vibration/resonance of the motor stressing the frame. I'd check them at least once every few months. :D If you need those torque specs, let me know. I still have the FZ6 service manual from my last bike. :D

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
You can avoid any cracking by applying the proper torque setting to the engine mounts as everyone feels it is caused by loosening of these nuts and the vibration/resonance of the motor stressing the frame. I'd check them at least once every few months. :D If you need those torque specs, let me know. I still have the FZ6 service manual from my last bike. :D

I would be interested in that info Eric .

grommit

If there were any systemic frame faults with either of these bikes then they would have been noticed by now.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
FZ6 engine mount torque specs

Here you are gentlemen! Btw, grommit? If your engine is torqued in properly, the issue will never show. If it is not, there will be problems. Well worth at least a once per year check as it takes but minutes. :D

FB400

I finally got out there and checked the torque on my FZ6 motor bolts. While I was at it I removed and applied a good amount of 242 loctite, blue.

One question though is where do I find the 4th bolt, as in above schematic. The other 3 were easy to get to but couldn't find the last one.

Thanks,
FB

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I finally got out there and checked the torque on my FZ6 motor bolts. While I was at it I removed and applied a good amount of 242 loctite, blue.

One question though is where do I find the 4th bolt, as in above schematic. The other 3 were easy to get to but couldn't find the last one.

Thanks,
FB

Here's a pic of it from one side. The other side has the head just under the cover on the clutch side.... You have to get down LOW to see it.

Last edited: