FZ1 Fork Swap

Lee_533

Hey guys. I just got my FZ1 forks in the mail. I still need the R6 front wheel but after that I'll be doing the swap. I was just wondering if anyone wanted me to do a type of build thread. Just let me know, It's very easy to swap forks but who knows, someone may want instructions.

B

bren

whats the differences between the FZ1 forks compared to the FZ8?

I havent seen the FZ1 in the flesh..

AlCab

Hey guys. I just got my FZ1 forks in the mail. I still need the R6 front wheel but after that I'll be doing the swap. I was just wondering if anyone wanted me to do a type of build thread. Just let me know, It's very easy to swap forks but who knows, someone may want instructions.

Yes, please! I am perfectly happy with the stock suspension but that may change in the future and it would be great to have a how to as a go by.

Lee_533

whats the differences between the FZ1 forks compared to the FZ8?

I havent seen the FZ1 in the flesh..

The FZ1 forks are adjustable which is a must if you plan on tracking it or riding it really hard. I'm pushing A class with the stock forks and an Ohlins rear shock, but when I come in to corners, I bottom out the stock forks and you can't break hard in to the corner. I have had the front end wash out a few times from riding too hard. I haven't laid it down yet but it will happen if I push it any more. With the FZ1 forks, you can adjust the preload and rebound of the forks. If I wasn't tracking it and planning on my race license, I wouldn't change the forks.

AlCab

I think it's great that you are really into tracking your bike but if you are that much into it, shouldn't you be on a true sport bike? In another life and in different circumstances, I too would love to be a track rat but if I was, I would be on a bike designed for that purpose.

So I guess I'm asking, why pick an FZ8 for the track?

C

Camo

Why not track the 8? I hit the track today and the 8 did well. It lacks straight line speed down the main straight but kept up with the litre bikes and 600's in the corners.
All I've got is a Penske in the rear and r1 front end, super stoked with the results.

Lee, if you don't mind going to the trouble of making a 'how to' on your fork swap, I'm certain there'll be a ton of happy people.

D

DJK1505

A good build thread, or how to is always appreciated.

The job is not too difficult, it took me about two hours to do the whole swap on mine. Take a ton of pics and post it up man!!!!

DJ

B

bren

I'm still wondering how I'm gonna fit my flush mount indicators when they arrive... Let alone doing this lol

H

Hoover

If you have the time, please post it.
This forum is growing by the day and any info will be appreciated by our members.

AlCab

Why not track the 8? I hit the track today and the 8 did well. It lacks straight line speed down the main straight but kept up with the litre bikes and 600's in the corners.
All I've got is a Penske in the rear and r1 front end, super stoked with the results.

I get it that you can track any street fighter style bike but if the track is your primary focus, why not get a sport bike which is designed for it (lighter, better brakes, more ground clearance, more aggressive riding position, adj susp, etc). I realize that if you want a bike that is comfortable to ride on the street yet is still capable on the track, then the 8 is a good choice and maybe that is the case for a lot of people here.

I suppose cost is a factor as well since the sport bikes cost more than a street fighter style bike.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

Lee_533

I get it that you can track any street fighter style bike but if the track is your primary focus, why not get a sport bike which is designed for it (lighter, better brakes, more ground clearance, more aggressive riding position, adj susp, etc). I realize that if you want a bike that is comfortable to ride on the street yet is still capable on the track, then the 8 is a good choice and maybe that is the case for a lot of people here.

I suppose cost is a factor as well since the sport bikes cost more than a street fighter style bike.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Ah it's cool. I thought the same thing at first, but surprisingly the 8 does wonders on the track. The body positioning makes it easy to set up for corners, the low end grunt helps if you do end up going below powerband, and the acceleration is great. I can pull my buddy's Gsxr 600 every time and pass liter bikes all day. On the track, it doesn't matter what you ride, it's how experienced you are. There were guys on supermotos passing people all day until a straight. But our bikes make tracking very easy

AlCab

Ah it's cool. I thought the same thing at first, but surprisingly the 8 does wonders on the track. The body positioning makes it easy to set up for corners, the low end grunt helps if you do end up going below powerband, and the acceleration is great. I can pull my buddy's Gsxr 600 every time and pass liter bikes all day. On the track, it doesn't matter what you ride, it's how experienced you are. There were guys on supermotos passing people all day until a straight. But our bikes make tracking very easy

Gotcha. Sounds like rider ability is by far more important than the bike's capabilities. Thanks for the insight.

Lee_533

No problem. I tell everyone that they should do a track day at least to hang out with instructors and learn to ride track. Everything you learn on track can be put to use during everyday riding.

reALIGNed

Don't want to come accross the wrong way here, but why not buy and enjoy a FZ1,.... street and track. I used to do Formula 2 Superbike, and we started off with modded street bikes, but then realized a stock "crotch rocket" was even better. I realize the enjoyment of tinkering around, but we raced for points and contingency money and trophies, and could'nt afford to lose our sponsors ($$). I see alot of folks modding the FZ8 with alot of FZ1 parts, and I don't get it. As far as front shocks go, White Brothers, Fox, etc., but stock Yamaha?? Sorry, I'm not judging anyone, just confused.

Lee_533

Don't want to come accross the wrong way here, but why not buy and enjoy a FZ1,.... street and track. I used to do Formula 2 Superbike, and we started off with modded street bikes, but then realized a stock "crotch rocket" was even better. I realize the enjoyment of tinkering around, but we raced for points and contingency money and trophies, and could'nt afford to lose our sponsors ($$). I see alot of folks modding the FZ8 with alot of FZ1 parts, and I don't get it. As far as front shocks go, White Brothers, Fox, etc., but stock Yamaha?? Sorry, I'm not judging anyone, just confused.

No problem. The reason I bought the FZ8 was pure looks. I honestly didn't know anything about newer motorcycles before I bought mine. I didn't know about the suspension issues and a really didn't plan on tracking it at all. But after I bought it my buddy wanted to do a track day. I wasn't comfortable with taking a brand new bike to the track but I figured I'd be going slow anyways. After that first track day I fell in love a knew I wanted to race. Any bike you get will have to be upgraded no matter what. If I bought a Gsxr I would still do a spring and valve job and change out the rear shock so it's set up just for me. I'm not keeping the FZ1 internals, I'm doing a Racetech spring and valve job on them. I will have to switch to a different bike anyways once I start racing because they don't have an 800cc class. If they did have an 800cc class I would gladly track the 8. The FZ8 was my first REAL bike and I didn't think I would progress this fast, but all my buddy and I do is track, talk motorcycles, and watch videos on how to improve, it's just something we fell in love with. I mod my 8 simply because I love it. After I get my race license I plan on getting a gsxr 600 strictly for racing. But I would still take my 8 to the track for fun. In fact, I road with David from ZoomZoom Track Days and he was passing A class riders like they were standing still. Sorry for the life story here, but I figured I'd give a good explanation. I don't disagree with you, if you know you want to race, get a race bike. But like I said, I had no idea how much I would love riding.

D

DJK1505

Geez here we go again! Bought the 8 because I wanted the 8. Looks much better than the 1, and with the extra couple of grand I saved I have built a bad ass bike that is mine and not a production FZ1 that every tom dick and hary have.

I have not seen too many people doing much with the FZ1 suspension parts. Most go with the R1 parts. Nothing wrong with yamaha suspension parts. Yes there are many better options out there, but for double or tripple the price. Unless you are a die hard race guy, the stock R1 suspension components on the 8 will be more than enough for any person. And if you do get that deep into racing, you will most likely see the need for a dedicated track bike, and will stop modding your daily for the track anyways.

Lee_533

Geez here we go again! Bought the 8 because I wanted the 8. Looks much better than the 1, and with the extra couple of grand I saved I have built a bad ass bike that is mine and not a production FZ1 that every tom dick and hary have.

I have not seen too many people doing much with the FZ1 suspension parts. Most go with the R1 parts. Nothing wrong with yamaha suspension parts. Yes there are many better options out there, but for double or tripple the price. Unless you are a die hard race guy, the stock R1 suspension components on the 8 will be more than enough for any person. And if you do get that deep into racing, you will most likely see the need for a dedicated track bike, and will stop modding your daily for the track anyways.

My Thoughts exactly.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I for one would love to see a write up on this. I am planning on the r1 swap myself so a heads up on anything that might hold it up and leave the bike on the stand would be helpful.

Lee_533

I for one would love to see a write up on this. I am planning on the r1 swap myself so a heads up on anything that might hold it up and leave the bike on the stand would be helpful.

Just a heads up. Make sure to do a lot of research before installing r1 forks. I talked to a guy that did it and he hated it. He said it make the turn in way too fast and it felt like the front end wanted to tuck under every chance it got. He's sponsored by Yamaha and is a pro racer so he's no amateur. But then there are others that love it. Just make sure it what you want first. I was going to do the r1 swap but I think the turn in on our bikes are perfect and didn't want to change the steering geometry.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Well, now that the 2013 has the bits I want I will most likely just go with those instead. Kind of annoyed really they didn't think to include them earlier but oh well.:rolleyes: