Friendly Reminder

FZ8Grid

Was out riding with my family when my step mothers dad ran into the back of her bike and then continued to flip 4-5 times into a ditch.
Luckily no one else was hurt, but he later died from heart failure.
This is just a reminder that to expect the unexpected, be responsible with your health, and be safe.

I can honestly say this bike (my fz8) saved my life. If I hadn’t had the power of this bike and was on my shadow I wouldn’t have been able to take off to avoid the bike from flipping into me.

Keep a clear head and ride safely

lothodon

Super Moderator
while my end result was better, i can share a similar experience.

riding cycles with my buddy on known to me roads, new to him. after about an hour of aggressive twisties i tap the brake light repeatedly to let him know i'm stopping and at the next "boring" part of the road i pull to the side to take a breather.

he was too busy looking to see how fast he was cornering to notice me pulled over and in a panic moment instead of simply going past me and turning around pulled in behind me and grabbed all of his front brakes.

he collide with the tail of my bike ('99 r1) between the swingarm and exhaust. i was going perhaps 2 mph while he was going around 25 mph. he flipped on the road and ground THROUGH his shield (thank god for helmets) when his head hit the pavement.

i was sent (with my bike) into the woods toward a massive drop off and oak tree. the tail of my bike was pushing so hard into my lower back/ass that i couldn't reach forward or get off. i ended up simply leaning to one side to drop both me and the bike. by the time i came to a rest he was already standing and traffic had stopped to help.

both bikes totaled. we were also about 100 miles from home (my old home grounds) and on tribal land. no police involvement other than to see if we could be ticket. we were not as they didn't witness anything. no ambulance needed but a wrecker for certain.

long story short, years later, a different r1 in between thanks to his insurance company, and i find myself without riding partners and on a MUCH more comfortable fz8. turns out i have three deteriorated vertebrae and two slipped disks, both of which are assumed to have come from the collision.

my only option for total "healing" is to have the three vertebrae fused and lose a lot of flexibility. for now, i suffer.

as posted, KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!

mano1192

I cant tell you how many stories I hear about 1 guy in a group taking out several others, it happens all too ofton. As a new rider I really do not want to ride with any inexperienced riders as they always ride over their heads / experience level.

If your riding buddies cant be on the same page as you your better off solo, thats how I role for the most part right now. Like people always say, its not you thats your worst obstical, its everyone else (cars and fellow bikers).

Grid, thank God your ok, sorry to hear for your loss.