Found a screw in my?

sumitkid123

Got back from a ride n parked only to find a screw in my rear tire. When did it get there and for how long i don't know. I was riding her hard on the way back too. I could have died and not have even known it.

Any advice for a new rear. I only have $300 right now but get payed again on the 1st?

Harrywz

U can get a few puncture repairs done for $300

Puncture repairs are not recommended for bike tires. You can put a tubeless tire plug in as a temporary measure, keep you riding speed below 50mph and get your tire replaced ASAP. Tires are an individual choice and also depends on what type of riding you do. Myself, I don't do any extreme riding and like the idea of a longer lasting tire will go with a sport-touring tire. Michelin Pilot Road 3 or an Avon Storm 2 Ultra. If you are an aggressive rider, Michelin's
Power One CT is a good tire.

The puncture kit is available at Walmart, under $20.00. as long as its not in the sidewall you can patch it. Just mark around the screw head with tire chalk, remove the screw and follow the instructions included with the kit and you will be fine. One long rides its good to have one of these kits along as well as carrying a can of compressed air. Another product that is usefull when you get your tires replaced is getting a liquid additive installed in the tire. I forget what its called but I know its not "Slime" but it balances your tire all the time while riding and will also fill in any puncture that you get in the tire. Dealer put that in my tires when I got the bike, no weights on the wheel and runs smooth as silk.

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I will never patch a bike tire. Perhaps bike tire design has improved over the years but you were always told to never do it.
That being said, I've never had to either.

ssky0078

I will never patch a bike tire. Perhaps bike tire design has improved over the years but you were always told to never do it.
That being said, I've never had to either.

Agreed, if you patch a tire on a cage if it blows you have 3 others and physics on your side to safely stop the vehicle.

If you are on 2 wheels and 1 goes, you are basically going down and it's just a matter of how bad.

I've had 2 tires blow on 2 different occasions in the last 2 years in my car. Both happened on the freeway. Both were pretty lucky because the tire didn't fully shread before I got over. Still is pretty freaking scary.

sumitkid123

Going to leave the screw in my tire and put some of that green slime in it and stick to riding on post only when i need to 25MPH speed limit. Going to get a pilot series tire next pay day.

Tango59

About a week after I put new Continental Motion's on my Bandit (decent tires for a really good price), I picked up a screw in the rear tire. I plugged it and it's still good after about 2000 miles. Not the best idea I know but I wouldn't do a long trip on it. Check out Conti Motions. About $145 for a 180 rear. Run it till you can get a good set and put it back till the next flat.

H

Hoover

I am sure there are a few members on here who have good stock tires that they have taken off for stickier rubber.
You could probably pick one of those up cheap. Check the classifieds

dalco450

I had a nail in my rear tire. The bike was new, only 2 weeks I think. I dislike my BT021, but don't have money the change both... So, I patched the tire INSIDE with a car's patch with a f***ing sticky glue. Never lost a PSI after 2 500km. Tested at 210 km/h too. No vibrations.

W

WARPTH

as long as its plugged with a mushroom plug and not a quick plug. so a plug that get applied from the inside and not a quick road side fix plug where you just shove the stringy bit through. its fine. theres nothing to worry about.

W

WARPTH

the easiest sale a tyre place can make is to someone who is uncertain about their safety.

rug_burn

If you can put a patch on the inside of the tire- that's about as good as a new tire. Patches on the inside never let go, assuming they're done correctly, and probably hold even if they're not.
Plugs are a little less reliable- they usually leak a little in my experience, but I still use 'em. Who can afford to throw away $200 tires?

black8

cant you get it plugged??,tyre fitters plug ours over here even had a tyre plugged on my busa so no problem with them.

C

calscrazy

i rode home from wsbk race in utah on a plugged tire. you will be fine. just check it often.

H

Hoover

Dr Doom picked up a very nice mushroom tire plug kit at the Chicago Bike Show on Sat. Perhaps he can put his smuggled beer down long enough to take a picture :cheers:

D

DJK1505

plugs are not the best if you are running the shit out of your bike, 90 mph around corners, very hard braking, etc. Any puncture in a tire compromises the design of the tire. I have rode on plugs tons, but I am a bit more cautious, always rembering I have a plug in the tire, but get the most out of the tire until I can afford to buy a new one. If you have 300 bucks you can get a new SET of tires. Get on ebay and start looking. Buy two tires, and some balance beads. Get your bike hung/ put up on your stands/ layed over on its stand, whatever, and remove your wheels. Next week when they come in (and your next pay check), take them to your local tire shop or bike shop and pay them 40-50 bucks to dismount and mount the tire. While they are mounthing the tire have them throw the beads in. Dont let them sell you some BS valve stem replacement, special balance bull shit, whatever. Just standard dissmount/ mount (usually $20 or so each wheel). Come home and put your wheels back on and enjoy your brand new set of tires.

D

DJK1505

With the little CO2 inflator. Thats a pretty cool kit. I carry the old ghetto plugs, but have no way to fill it up. Thats perfect!!!!!

DJ