Fork spring swap

slowkey

well I swapped my fork springs !!

* bike is on center stand

- So I have a Fazer so had to take the front cowling off.
- unfasten the handle bars and folded back to access top nut on the forks
- loosened the top nut on both forks (22mm) you can also crack the bolts that clamp the forks in at this time

- put jack stand to support front end (I put under the rad stay)

- remove the front wheel

- loosen the clamp bolts until you can slide the fork out of the tree

- finish loosening the top nut on fork

you should now be at this point

-If you have a fork spring puller you will need it now or its time to make one (I will do another thread on how I made that tool).

- hook up your tool and compress the spring

- lift the top nut up and you should see this

- the lock nut is a 14mm. put a wrench on this and put your 22mm on the top nut and lossen off your top nut

- once your top nut is off release to tension on the springs remove your tool

- swap your spring and oil, I used a washer provide by racetech between the top of the spring and the spacer (racetech spring is a little shorter)

- hook back up your tool and compress the spring again

- with a pair of needle nose pull up the shaft till you can see the lock nut again

- hold the shaft and thread your top nut back on, now you can tighten this back up
- tighten the top nut into the outer tube

your done

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Very informational!

What springs did you replace with?

What kind of results are you shooting for? I imagine a huge benefit is reducing the brake dive effect?

slowkey

I went with the 1kg racetech spring.

I found the ride to be a bit squishy. I upgraded the back spring so I want the front to match.

cambo

Avid Rider
thanks Slowkey!

Just out of curiousity, why did you go with the 1kg spring? I have the .95 but I also weight 225lbs. I just saw your "MUG" in the other section haha, and you don't look anything over 200lbs dude (nice suit btw)! So I'm just wondering why the stiffer spring.

slowkey

thanks Slowkey!

Just out of curiousity, why did you go with the 1kg spring? I have the .95 but I also weight 225lbs. I just saw your "MUG" in the other section haha, and you don't look anything over 200lbs dude (nice suit btw)! So I'm just wondering why the stiffer spring.

using the racetech spring calculator recommended .992 kg spring so I rounded up and got the 1kg

suits hide weight well ;)

cambo

Avid Rider
haha, gotcha...yeah I got the same exact recommendation but I rounded down a tad only because I shed some weight come spring/summer time just from getting to be a bit more active.

Enjoy the new set up man, and ride safe!

C

calscrazy

excellent write up slowkey. i used the tool (had one at my disposal). i went with the
https://www.pureperformancecycles.c...ks)/FG-Gubellini-Fork-Springs-Kit--10--11-FZ8

i had them on my duc and liked them.

this mod is very easy to do. do not overthink it. alot of folks are scared to mess with suspension because the "experts" say not to. they also say WMD's were in Iraq, Anna Nicole married for love, steaks aren't good for you, etc. etc.

SCREW 'EM!! you can do this. it doesnt require a mechanical engineering degree. when your done have a beer, a smile and know that YOU did it.