For all the married gents out there....

eggserronius

How long were you dating your significant other before you knew you wanted to pop the question?

I know that this isn't motorcycle related, but Hey!, I put it in the right section.

Any input would be appreciated.

Wieb27

Tough question. I think you just know when it's time. Make sure she doesn't have any "untold trash" from her past that you don't know about. Get it all out now before you're married.

I even had doubts (or that feeling, "am I doing the right thing?") the day of my wedding but I'm pretty sure that's all normal. Here I am 7 1/2 years later and happily married to the same woman. I hope it goes another 50 more yet.

Good luck!

FZER

Avid Rider
Well, I met my future wife at a bad time for me. I was just out of a two year relationship that ended very badly, so I was a bad guy for a while. Mid 20's and thought I had something to prove to myself. We dated for about 3 months before I was like I don't want to get right back into a long relationship. So we didn't see each other for quite a while maybe a year. She moved about two hours away. I got tired of running around and she was home sick and moved back into town. I still needed to grow up some and didn't act like someone that is in a relationship. Hangin with the fellas a couple nights a week, drinking and such. Well her lease was up on her apartment and I had bought a condo at the time and for some crazy reason at that time I thought her moving in was a good idea even though I was still acting like a jerk most of the time. We split again, but both didn't like it that much. I slowly started realizing that the life I was living wasn't shit and if I didn't start treating this wonderful person right I was going to really miss out, but by this time her mom hated me and she was living with her. Lots of sneeking around to see each other, I wasn't even aloud in the house. LOL, but her mom is a whole different story. Well I finally got my stuff together and we got closer and closer. We went to some consuling were I realized everything really was my fault. So after five crazy years we got married. Her mom still hates me, but my whole family and half my town hates her, but she's always right if you catch my drift. It's never her. We've still had some rough spots, but seriously marriage consuling is great. That third party educated opinion is great. We were able to stop the money arguements that you always have by setting up spending money that we both get. So we have been together in total of 11 years now and honestly it gets better all the time now. Her mom can still kiss my ass though.:eek:

C

calscrazy

18 months before we got hitched and been married 16 yrs now! no probs!

jumb5150

She asked me. We loved each other and really didin't believe in marriage much until I needed insurance lol. I used to be turned off by the thought of marriage. Actually even now. Because of my friends. Once they get married, I never see them again. I always told my friends, "I'd rather go to your funeral than your wedding. At least I know why you're not coming over to my place anymore." But once my wife asked me to get hitched I didin't hesitate because I knew she was the one for me and I can still live the same lifestyle.Best woman in the world plus we have a polyamorous relationship (open marriage). So its a win win.

Having kids on the other hand.....well that will change anyones life.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Not sure the answer, I have been with my wife for 30+ yrs only married for 18 I think. But when you do get married Remember two rules

1. She is allways right
2. refer to rule #1
:D

EZ RIDER

I was with my ex-wife for 11 years before we finally got married and 7 months later she walked out. I say dont do it cause things change. If you are happy now keep it that way. Marriage is a joke and a waste of time. Just my 2 cents worth.

C

Camo

When you're ready to give up the freedom to only worry about yourself.... That's the time. It's a big commitment that should be thought through imo.
I married a woman that I could hang out with every day and I could take anywhere and be comfortable with. I knew she was the one and was in no rush to marry her, I knew she wasn't going anywhere and figured it'd happen when I was ready ;)

C

calscrazy

When did you know you wanted to ask her?

it was kinda two fold. i was a little bit rowdy in the marine corps. rowdy enough that when i came home on leave after my first tour overseas my parents asked me not to come back until i chilled out. a bar fight in college station (long story...not my fault! corps pf cadet p$##!!s) and only one night at home with my parents out of 7 days will do that. we actually met and started dating before i went overseas the second time. when i got back and realized that she honestly hadn't screwed around on me i told myself that she was the one. we dated a few more months then i asked her. plus she really chilled out all my partying because i had more fun just hanging out with her and my good friends.
she already had her bachelors. after we got married and my son was born i worked two jobs so all she had to do was watch the baby and get her masters. glad as hell i did that!! during that time we had our fair share of arguements but it was because i was looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and she was afraid i was killing myself. we are alot better off now and she has a great job with the largest insurance company in the world. works from home and we are both very happy with two great kids.

btw its 17 yrs not 16! whew!!! glad she isnt around to see that mistake.

FZER

Avid Rider
Not sure the answer, I have been with my wife for 30+ yrs only married for 18 I think. But when you do get married Remember two rules

1. She is allways right
2. refer to rule #1
:D

He's pretty much right! No kids here either, I'm fighting that one at least once a month. 3 cats though. They are enough sometimes. Two cat surgeries in the last month and a half. One had an abseses (spelling) which we thought was cancer at first, thank god it wasn't. Now our smalliest one was peeing blood and he had bladder stones that had to be removed. We are still waiting the results of those stones to see what we can do about him. Have pets before kids.....

wa2txcory

Hey man I am also 29 and got married last November (just booked the anniversary trip to San Diego). I had had A LOT of fun throughout undergrad and grad school-partying, serial dating, putting myself first, and pretty much being a shitty guy to the girls I dated (even one who moved from Washington state to Texas with me for graduate school). Then one day when I was out at a happy hour with some guy friends I meet my future wife (knew within 2 dates that she would be my wife). Side note-I said I would never get married until everyone had the right to get married (my personal belief) and then it all changed. Friends couldnt even believe I was talking about marriage. But, she can hang out with the guys, rides with me on occasion, likes the same things/food/traveling/etc and her appearance def helps as well haha. It has for sure has been a little work (mainly because I independent and thats hard to change) but I wouldnt trade it for the world. Coming from experience-if you are asking if its right it may not be? Just my opinion but coming from someone who never planned on getting married really-when it happened I knew and I think you will too.

eggserronius

Coming from experience-if you are asking if its right it may not be? Just my opinion but coming from someone who never planned on getting married really-when it happened I knew and I think you will too.

It's kind of the opposite....I'm trying to talk myself out of it....because everything about it is pulling me to ask her.

BIGpanda

6 years, had to make sure I was man enough to make that big of a commitment first. Engaged at 22 started dating at 16.

K-Gr.

Trust me on this one:
YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU WILL KNOW!!

Simple as that. If you are not sure if you want to get married - then it is not the time yet. If you know you want, then it is the right time to ask. Grow a pair of balls, think of some romantic way to do it and go for it! :)

Hereward

Probubley the right time when you go on internet forums and ask a bunch of bikers if it's the right time to get hitched............LOL

3 questions to ASK YOURSELF
1 would I be unhappy if I never saw her again
2 What dose mariage actual mean to both of us
3 Dose she want kids and will she want me to sell the FZ8.............. ;)

MojoRisin

I started dating my wife in 1983, we finally got married in 1996 so I could put her on my health insurance (she had govt health care up to that point). Jezus cripes 30 years next summer. Marriage didn't really change anything for me, we'd already been living together for 13 years at that point. I guess you'll know when it's time.