First Service!

Goldie.JamesT

Hi all,

Just wanted to check are there any specific questions I should have for the mechanic after my bikes first service? It is in today and I was a little overdue. Had 1,000 miles on.

Thanks for any feedback!

switch263

drain the oil, change the oil filter, add oil, adjust and lube the chain....done.

I'll also add adjust your clutch to this list. I didn't do mine when I did my break-in maintenance, and it actually started acting a little weird the other day. Bike would sort of 'get stuck' in 2nd or neutral while stopped.

Adjusted the clutch after I limped her home, problem solved. Definitely an important piece of maintenance!

H

Hoover

I'll also add adjust your clutch to this list. I didn't do mine when I did my break-in maintenance, and it actually started acting a little weird the other day. Bike would sort of 'get stuck' in 2nd or neutral while stopped.

Adjusted the clutch after I limped her home, problem solved. Definitely an important piece of maintenance!
'

I think you may have an issue starting. I have almost 4000 miles on mine, mostly city riding and havn't touched my clutch adjustment yet.
Infact, I can't think of any of my last few bikes I had to adjust the clutch before at least 5K

D

DJK1505

Guys, your clutch adjustment isn't anything. You should be adjusting this every 1000 miles or so. Twist the little metal screw adjuster in or out. Not real hard.

I have read that our clutches are having issues. I forgot the gents name in Spain or Italy that has had his bike in several times. They have found the inner wear plates with no oil at all, his steels a bit colored, and I even have a hard shift from neutral to first. They replaced his clutch plates twice now and still the same issue. Ride it, clutch plates are cheap and simple to replace. But you should all read and know how to adjust this yourself.

DJ

D

DJK1505

Oh and there are no real specific questions you should have. If you have felt anything different you will want to mention that to him. Your first service is quite important. That is the break in oil, you really need to pay attention to your mileage and services. Try to do it as close to the recommended times as possible. The number one reason these little engines fail is lack of maintenance.

DJ

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Guys, your clutch adjustment isn't anything. You should be adjusting this every 1000 miles or so. Twist the little metal screw adjuster in or out. Not real hard.

I have read that our clutches are having issues. I forgot the gents name in Spain or Italy that has had his bike in several times. They have found the inner wear plates with no oil at all, his steels a bit colored, and I even have a hard shift from neutral to first. They replaced his clutch plates twice now and still the same issue. Ride it, clutch plates are cheap and simple to replace. But you should all read and know how to adjust this yourself.

DJ

I would adjust the clutch if i had to, but after 6000kms i have not had to touch it. I have not heard of any clutch problems in our area on the FZ8.

BunGhoLeo

You waited a thousand miles before your first oil change? If you would have seen the oil after it was drained it would have scared you.

Far as the clutch adjustment, just make sure you have a centimeter of play at the end of the lever and your good. Your aiming for the cable to have slack in it when released, but not to much. Being as the stock lever is not adjustable, mine would drag a little when two fingered, but since I installed an adjustable lever all is fine. Typical surge when putting in first, but nothing out of the ordinary.