EXHAUST

i have a buddy that does wraps he wraps cars, trucks, motocross,sleds! i will ask him how durable it is... i know my 2008 gmc seirra has little black vinyl around the wheel wells help prevent stone chips!

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Installing my Vance & Hines slip-on this afternoon. I am going to try and get a video (with stock vs. V&H slip on). Hopefully the video isn't too crappy of quality.

Speedo007

Sent the headers and slip-on to the paint shop for the ceramic coating. Was quite surprised to see how rusty the headers were near the engine. Probably something worth looking into once in a while. As my bike is only 1 year old, 20000km on it, always sleeps under a cover and I can't imagine how bad the headers would have been in 5 years at that rate. The ceramic coating will certainly help with the rust management...should receive the parts next week, can't wait to see it all installed on the bike.

Speedo007

I think I'm going to keep the forks gold for now, as if it's the only color on the bike I think it looks decent. If I find a great deal on a replacement fork I might go for it, but I think it's enough spending for now hehe

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I think I'm going to keep the forks gold for now, as if it's the only color on the bike I think it looks decent. If I find a great deal on a replacement fork I might go for it, but I think it's enough spending for now hehe

If you go with black forks, look for a set of 2002-2003 R1 forks. They will bolt up with the same fender and brakes and adjustable for preload, compression and rebound. They are a little shorter than the FZ8 forks but this will drop the front in make the bike turn in a lot quicker. This would be a quick swap.

The other option is the 2009 FZ1 forks which are also black and a direct replacement for your bike.

Speedo007

I wouldnt want the front to be any lower as ground clearance is already a concern in high speed curves. But yeah I have an eye open for the 09 FZ1 forks, but I'll wait to see the bike with black exhaust line before deciding if I hate the gold forks enough to swap them :)

D

Deleted member 438

I wouldnt want the front to be any lower as ground clearance is already a concern in high speed curves. But yeah I have an eye open for the 09 FZ1 forks, but I'll wait to see the bike with black exhaust line before deciding if I hate the gold forks enough to swap them :)

I'm doing an fz1 fork swap and you'll be needing the 320mm fz1 rotors, front wheel from an fz1 or r1, and the fz1 axle. It's definitely not as easy as I thought it would be.

D

Deleted member 438

With the forks and rotors I was at $300, then I found out that I needed a whole new wheel and that was another $200. I think I'll be happy with it though, but some mupo cartridges would only have $750.

Speedo007

You gain a better fork for sure, but for someone just wanting to improve aesthetics, it would probably cost about 200$ to have it powder coated.

D

Deleted member 438

That's gonna look awesome. You really should get the forks done.

Speedo007

Just not sure it's worth the time and money to get the forks done. I'll wait and see how it goes with those going the black vinyl way for the forks...

Panther

Going for Yoshi R77 Carbon soon. Considered Akra but everyone seems to have this over in UK so I'd prefer to stand out from the crowd. For me the Yoshi looks better and sounds better and perhaps even provides a better torque curve. The Akra, however, has titanium internals which are obviously superior to Stainless Steel.

H

Hoover

Sharp. However, I'm not so sure I am going to like them on the bike. The contrast between flat black and gloss is not my thing. If the bike was a different color, I think I would prefer it. They did a really nice job though.

Speedo007

It's satin black, so it should match the engine, frame, swingarm and all the rest. Only the tank tail and fenders are shiny, the rest is already all satin black...but we'll see once it's all assembled, but I'm pretty confident though that it will look better then the visible welding and brown spotting from before I had them ceramic coated :)
There was the option for matte black, but the matter the paint the lighter it becomes, and I wanted them to look black and not dark grey. So if some of you do decide to have this done, make sure to ask for satin black and not matte black. Matte black will make it look like BBQ paint and it isnt that dark. I put it side by side with the stock exhaust and finish is nearly identical, if something it's 5% shinier then the stock one.

Last edited: