Epic Scenery

cambo

Avid Rider
This thread is absolutely useless without a pic of this...gosh I really wish I had a camera. But on my ride into work today, I have never seen more ominous clouds ahead of me. I could've, and probably should've, turned around to get the car instead, but something about riding into this one excited the hell out of me.

When I was in the middle of it, lightning strikes were all around me. Man... riding through a lightning storm on a bike is a helluva lot more exciting/scary/fun than being in a cage that's for damn sure. I swear lightning was touching down no more than 1-2 miles away at a rate of 2 or 3 strikes every 20 or so seconds. And the funny thing? Hardly any rain...which made it all the more enjoyable.

I'm sure I would've had a different story if I'd been hit by one of them ;)

cxa0897

No thanks. Lightning and the bike are not my idea of fun

Worst I've had was being out on a boat and having pea soup fog roll through and lightning all around. Almost a surreal experience.

cambo

Avid Rider
No thanks. Lightning and the bike are not my idea of fun

Worst I've had was being out on a boat and having pea soup fog roll through and lightning all around. Almost a surreal experience.

Ah see now that would scare the sh*t out of me. I don't do water and I don't do fog. Lightning too? Eff all that. I hope there were other dudes there that you could've all gotten together into one giant group hug. I would've been in the middle. that's the safest spot.

master paper clip

This thread is absolutely useless without a pic of this...gosh I really wish I had a camera. But on my ride into work today, I have never seen more ominous clouds ahead of me. I could've, and probably should've, turned around to get the car instead, but something about riding into this one excited the hell out of me.

When I was in the middle of it, lightning strikes were all around me. Man... riding through a lightning storm on a bike is a helluva lot more exciting/scary/fun than being in a cage that's for damn sure. I swear lightning was touching down no more than 1-2 miles away at a rate of 2 or 3 strikes every 20 or so seconds. And the funny thing? Hardly any rain...which made it all the more enjoyable.

I'm sure I would've had a different story if I'd been hit by one of them ;)

Had that experience a week after I got my bike, rode into a monsoon and enjoyed every single second of it

F

fz8kansas

I got caught in a major downpour on my way home from work. I had only the bike for about 3 weeks and was still getting comfortable on it. It was raining so hard that there were streams in the tire tracks of the lanes of the road. I must admit that I was pleased with the performance of the OEM tires. I managed to get off the highway just as it got worse. The right line was a stream in some places it could have been measured with a ruler. I had to sit in the left lane and try to stay between cars to keep from getting hosed. Not that it mattered much as I had no dry spot on my body. Once I got home I felt great as I had not had a single problem, it was a rush.

cambo

Avid Rider
haha, when I first got the bike I was terrified of the prospect of having to ride in rain. I'd no kidding walk outside, look at the sky...and if I saw a single cloud...I'd walk back inside, put my helmet down, grab the car keys and go about my business lol.

I will say this though. Riding through rain in an open face helmet is not fun. Not fun at all. In fact, it is so not fun that it's borderline aggravating. To the point I find myself literally cursing the sky, mother nature, the car next to me...for raining.

Imagine someone taking a needle and stabbing you in the face a billion times. That's what it feels like. Additionally, it is impossilbe to hold a stone cold manly face. Instead, I probably look like I'm taking one in the ass.

decooney

I will say this though. Riding through rain in an open face helmet is not fun. Not fun at all. In fact, it is so not fun that it's borderline aggravating. To the point I find myself literally cursing the sky, mother nature, the car next to me...for raining.

Imagine someone taking a needle and stabbing you in the face a billion times. That's what it feels like. Additionally, it is impossilbe to hold a stone cold manly face. Instead, I probably look like I'm taking one in the ass...

Cambo,
Several times when I spent summers back there in different parts of MD I recall memories of some of the most unreal, dark, low hanging, scary looking clouds and rain drops like I've never seen before. A few times we did get caught in boats out on the water, but the absolute worst was one time I got caught at night in to Ocean City arriving late in a convertible trying to get to a cottage and came into a storm/rain I will never forget. HUGE rain drops, and a downpour of water that flooded streets quickly in under two minutes - just insane. I was hanging my head out the window of the car to see since the windshield had a blanket of water on it. Water was coming up the sides of the car to the doors, fast. Some times I explain to relatives and friends here in CA they have never seen "ThunderHeads" and rain like I grew up with back there in parts of MD close to water areas. Storms, thunder sounds, and heat lightening there in MD is just unreal compared to anything I've ever experienced here in CA the past 40+ years. I wonder if you got caught in some sort of a heat lightening storm on this one. We use to call it heat lightening, and it was the most amazing when it was not raining, just a shower of lightening all around you and no rain.

Last edited:

Trooper

you havent lived till you get caught in an epic storm on your bike

Here here !!

Once you succumb to the truth that you are not going to get home any drier if you go faster, the more you can sit back and kind of enjoy it all. The best part is having everyone around you in their cars looking at you with that " poor sucker" look on their faces....and then you smile and give them a thumbs up. :)

alexk

Weekend Rider
Since moving to Texas, I've experienced some epic storms...

My favorite when I was out larping (yeah yeah)... The storm rolled in, so we ran to the (barely) covered basketball court. When we yelled PLAY ON, lightning struck all around us... it was so bright you couldn't see, and the roar was soul-piercing... light from all directions for a good 15 seconds. Fried patches of grass all around, and the 20 of us standing dumbfounded that we were all still alive. Until someone yelled "Thor says... PLAY ON!"

cambo

Avid Rider
Since moving to Texas, I've experienced some epic storms...

My favorite when I was out larping (yeah yeah)... The storm rolled in, so we ran to the (barely) covered basketball court. When we yelled PLAY ON, lightning struck all around us... it was so bright you couldn't see, and the roar was soul-piercing... light from all directions for a good 15 seconds. Fried patches of grass all around, and the 20 of us standing dumbfounded that we were all still alive. Until someone yelled "Thor says... PLAY ON!"

dude that sounds insane and freaking awesome!! haha, little did you know, Aliens ran experimental tests on you all in that split second. was your butthole mysteriously hurting later that evening? huh huh? am I right? CONSPIRACY....

nothing wrong with LARPing...shit we do it all the time in the military. Except instead of swords and sweet battle axes, we use M16s. and instead of sleeping dust we use blanks. But generally the same idea...pretending we're in a situation...and acting it out...in real life.