Engine vibration

[]V[]addog

How many of you guys downshift to slow down... I find with this bike when i downshift and the throttle is not on or very light, it get quite the stutter at around 2000RPM.

It didnt happen on my other bike, but, it happened from new, so i assumed this was normal... can anyone confirm?

DSmith

How many of you guys downshift to slow down... I find with this bike when i downshift and the throttle is not on or very light, it get quite the stutter at around 2000RPM.

It didnt happen on my other bike, but, it happened from new, so i assumed this was normal... can anyone confirm?

mine tends to stutter only in first gear after i downshift. it can get pretty jumpy. im not sure if this is normal though

DanS

Commuter

I always downshift while I'm slowing down but I don't shift into first until I'm stopped or nearly stopped . Like Mr DSmith said it gets pretty jumpy in first. I usually downshift around 4000 rpms

Jwood9

All I've ever heard is to keep it over 3k for smoother ride... the bike has 11.5k its got plenty of room before you're running it hard. Many of us have noted that vibration between 3-6k at most, it seems to be part of how it runs

Darksabre

Did you ever hear back from the dealer on any of these issues Tracy? Mine definitely starts vibrating at 4.5k and continues on until around 6k then disappears. It goes into the tank and the seat, which then vibrates my knees and bum quite a bit. Hoping it's just a characteristic of the motor and nothing bad.

NoNine4me

I'm curious about the various RPM specs quoted above. I am assuming that the FZ8's are NOT 2013's? Didn't they drop from 6 speed to 5 speed in 2013? I was cruising in to work this morning and noted

4th Gear 6200rpm @ 80MPH
5th Gear 5700rpm @ 80MPH

It seems my engine vibration goes away around 6000rpm, but is quite horrible 4500-5000. I think I will take it in for a check because it seems to be getting worse.

Until then, I guess the consensus is, quit driving it like an old man? :D

-Tracy
This bike should run as smooth as a newborn baby's bottom at any speed. Mine pulls clean from 2K in any gear, and pulls real clean from 3K even in top gear if I'm smooth with the roll-on.

Sounds like you might have a problem but these FZ8s are essentially bulletproof; might be your technique, you never know. Just take it on into service and have a technician test-ride it. I'll wager there's nothing really wrong with it, but best to be safe.

trahajopro86

Did you ever hear back from the dealer on any of these issues Tracy? Mine definitely starts vibrating at 4.5k and continues on until around 6k then disappears. It goes into the tank and the seat, which then vibrates my knees and bum quite a bit. Hoping it's just a characteristic of the motor and nothing bad.

They didn't find anything wrong with the bike. I had them go ahead and do my 6k service since the bike was already there. They said they re-torqued some bolts and added some rubber pads to a couple places in the tail and under the seat (I couldn't really see where). The vibration was gone after that, though now close to 10k it seems to be creeping back a little, though not anywhere near what it was before. I was seriously thinking of selling the bike if the vibration stayed how it was. It was horrible. Good Luck!

-Tracy

NoNine4me

All I've ever heard is to keep it over 3k for smoother ride... the bike has 11.5k its got plenty of room before you're running it hard. Many of us have noted that vibration between 3-6k at most, it seems to be part of how it runs
I've never heard it described as "horrible" though! Especially you're at 4500 RPM, it should be fine in any gear. Get her looked into.

trahajopro86

I've never heard it described as "horrible" though! Especially you're at 4500 RPM, it should be fine in any gear. Get her looked into.

It WAS horrible... :) It is fine now. I love this bike and am still very happy with my purchase. All I can figure is that something had come loose, that was fixed with the service.

-Tracy