Early impressions - FZ8n

RnR

Some quick 1st ride impressions after 150km (~100 miles).

Pros

1) No buffeting. Windshields do alot for protection, high speed comfort, and reducing fatigue but they often have the negative side-effect of causing buffeting. Sometimes it's just minor turbulence that a rider can live with. Other times it's that sudden side jolt, like a big hand slapping you in one side of the head then the other. The worst is the paint shaker. The headache inducing brain scrambler that ruins a nice ride. I can't tell you how many windshields I've bought over the years. So of course I'm thrilled with the smooth, clean wind blast on the FZ.

2) Comfortable seat. Really. I suspect I'm in the minority here and perhaps time will make me eat my words. Still if I can sit on a new seat for 45 minutes without my butt going numb it's good news for me. The slope works too giving good ... um ... clearance. I had a 1150GS that would put the boys right to sleep. Not fun. Ever had pins and needles down there?

3) Slick gear box. Almost Suzuki like. When the concentration and execution is right the reward is silky smooth shifts. The throttle pick up is so light, matched rev down-shifts are great.

4) Engine. Easy revving, strong torque, quiet but never lost in the wind noise. Definitely has a sport bike character. I didn't notice any annoying buzziness - but I have been keeping the RPMs down for break-in. BTW the mechanic at the dealer told me Yamaha does use break-in oil, 0W30. He didn't tell me to baby it. Just the normal stuff, vary speed, don't lug it, especially don't lug it when cold. Given it's fall be more careful to ensure the engine comes up to full temperature. Avoid short runs.

5) Handling. Again a little early for me to comment on handling. It's pretty cool here and I've been riding conservative. But it does feel very nimble and sure footed. Light even. The riding position is perfect for me. There is just a slight forward cant. Even with the upright position there feels to be good weight on the front tire. Also low speed handling in the parking lot is effortless. Drag the rear brake and weaving around at walking speed is a synch. I've always been a Bridgestone BT010/020 fan as I find they provide great feedback. Dunlop and Michelin may offer greater overall grip levels but to me they are vague compared to the Bridgestones. So I'd say the tires are a perfect match for the bike.

6) Brakes. Progressive and easy to modulate both front and rear. No hard braking attempts yet.

Cons

1) Too much throttle play. I haven't tried to adjust it out yet.

2) Grips are small diameter and hard. They won't be on for long.

3) Signal lights vibrate/shake. I did a quick "feel check" to see if they're loose. Didn't seem to be. Think that's just the way there are.

4) Don't like how the rad is hanging out there without protection ... will have to do something about that.

My overall first impression is "this bike is great". I'm really happy Yamaha has tossed up an option that has such a great combination of power, weight, comfort, and price. Well done. A very smart motorcycle IMHO.

F

Fazed

I agree with you on the comfortable seat. This is the first bike I have ever owned where I didn't want to change the seat in some way.

Hhhmm bridgstone tyres. I always get funny wear out of them and they never seem to match the wet weather performance of other brands. I can't wait for these to wear out and put Michellins on. Again this is personal opinion, that's why there are different brands and types of tyres out there.

I keep intending to dial out the freeplay in throttle but never get round to it, but it is way too much.

The grips aren't the best, mine only lasted a day then I replaced them with Oxford heated items. Wasn't going to pay $400 for the genuine Yamaha items.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I suspect after break in, and you really ride it, you will find the downfalls in the suspension as well as the tires. Gear box is far from slick, first gear clunk, downshifting air( nothing there at times). You must have an a$$ of steel, or are used to riding a ten speed bicycle seat, after 20 minutes the stock seat is painfull. Great starter bike and a blast for commuting for sure.

RoadKill

I suspect after break in, and you really ride it, you will find the downfalls in the suspension as well as the tires. Gear box is far from slick, first gear clunk, downshifting air( nothing there at times). You must have an a$$ of steel, or are used to riding a ten speed bicycle seat, after 20 minutes the stock seat is painfull. Great starter bike and a blast for commuting for sure.

i sure can't agree with you man. i have had about 10 bikes and the FZ8 is by far my favorite. And i ride for hours at a time with no problems.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
i sure can't agree with you man. i have had about 10 bikes and the FZ8 is by far my favorite. And i ride for hours at a time with no problems.

My a$$ must not be beefy enough for the stock seat then... your other bikes have seats made of stone or ????.

C

Camo

My bum comes with it's own natural padding ;)

+1, amen to that brother haha!
I like the seat. Admittedly it took a few hundred km's but it broke in nicely....the tires were ok for the first few 1000 and the suspension was rubbish right after break in and I started riding the bike like I stole it ;)

W

WARPTH

I can't say i can agree. My previous ride was a super motard. So the seat was like sitting on a plank of 6x4. So to me the seat is good. I happily did 3hours on it and came off happy the other day. As far as suspension goes. I'm 77kg and find it fine. Not as good as motard i had but works well with me.

F

Fazed

I can't say i can agree. My previous ride was a super motard. So the seat was like sitting on a plank of 6x4. So to me the seat is good. I happily did 3hours on it and came off happy the other day. As far as suspension goes. I'm 77kg and find it fine. Not as good as motard i had but works well with me.

Luckily, you are in that magic weight range that motorcycles are built for. The price I pay for being a fat bastard :)

W

WARPTH

Luckily, you are in that magic weight range that motorcycles are built for. The price I pay for being a fat bastard :)

maybe go for a walk instead of jumping on the bike to go to work and the suspension will work for you to!

im just kidding around mate! :D :p ;)
i once weighed 110kg so i cant really talk.

Guillaume

maybe go for a walk instead of jumping on the bike to go to work and the suspension will work for you to!
im just kidding around mate! :D :p ;)
i once weighed 110kg so i cant really talk.

I'm too newbie of a rider to comment on the suspension, especially that the FZ8 is my first bike. But being from France and now living in the USA, it's refreshing to see the metric system used!

F

Fazed

Isn't the UK still imperial? They did invent the retarded rolercoaster

BTW that post was quite funny :)

RnR

Most Canadians who aren't too young or too old are comfortable in both metric and imperial.

Anyway I'm a tad over 15 stone and I suppose that puts me on the upper end of what's considered workable for the FZ8 suspension. Sure it's on the soft side. But that's what I'm after. If I wanted knife edge handling I wouldn't have bought this bike.

In the past I've had a CBR600RR and ZX9R. The Honda was amazing but only comfortable for fairly short runs. The Kawasaki was raw didn't handle like the the CBR. I did shim the rear to get more weight on the front which helped. But it was maybe the rip roaringest fun ride I've ever owned.

It's tough comparing bikes. Depends so much on what you're looking for. I think if you're looking for an upright, naked, supersport then the FZ8 or Fazer is not the best choice. I'd probably lean toward a Street Triple or maybe a Speed Triple.

The FZ8 is reminding me of a sport tourer without the windshield. Power like an older VFR. Handling more like a Sprint ST.

F

Fazed

For me I think that a change in springs at the front and rear would be enough in the handling department.

Now that I have done a few mods the engine is starting to be more lively. I'm thinking that I will need a fuel controller to get the most from it, but not keen at loosing fuel economy unless I can get a map that runs leanish until I crack open the throttle. I'm still researching along with the autotune option as most maps go for all out power.

C

Camo

I found the R1 front end swap and the FZ1 rear shock was enough to have the handling issues put to rest. It's not razor but its enough to have it firm, predictable and rail like in the tight stuff.
If I had my time again I may have just gone with a set of nice internals for the front and spent the extra dough on a basic ohlins rear shock.

The bike is designed to do a bit of everything, not one thing particularly well. Hence the reason we see so many people mod in different directions. I'd say the bike is a good starting point at a reasonable price.
Depending on what your after, bone stock may do the trick but In my opinion a small mods budget is needed to set the bike up for a tailored fit. Maybe 1-2k?