Does shifting loosen up in first 600 miles?

decooney

>Brand new 2012 FZ8 at 52 miles so far<

I'm hoping the transmission on my new FZ8 is just tight and needs more miles to break in. I've had 20+ motorcycles in my life, and none shifted this firm or required extra shift attempts to go into gear. The clutch cable was adjusted by the dealer at setup time. Just want to run this by members here to see if I just need miles on the bike.

52 miles so far. I often hit a wall moving from 2nd to 3rd gear, and it won't go in 3rd on the first try about 50% of the time. If I roll off the throttle, clutch and try again it goes into 3rd okay and then it might do the same in 5th too. Same thing happens some times going from 4th to 5th. It feels very firm at times like its just tight. Sometimes downshifting is firm too, having to try twice to go down a gear or two. I figured out to get around this if I pull in the clutch and wait a half second longer before shifting AND if I make very deliberate (quick) shifts it allows me to shift through 3rd and 5th more often without hitting a wall so to speak.

Question:
How many miles on it do I need before it should start to loosen up and start working properly; 600?

C

Camo

I can't say I encountered this issue at all. First was always a hefty clunk but that aside, nothing like what you mention.
Sorry I'm no help.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I have had mine for only a few days but I put about 250 miles on it. got it with two. Just recently I have felt a huge improvement in shifting, especially in the lower gears.

Also the clutch feels like it is wearing in. I don't know if it is supposed to do that or if I am just learning about the bike more, but my shifts are smoother for sure.

I hope this brings you some hope for the future. I never quite had it has hard as you described. just that kick that most bikes have from N into 1st. I hear the flywheel is pretty light on these bikes.

randyka

You may be doing what I was doing and that's not really letting off the gear shift. Make sure when you shift up you physically push your boot back down or get your toe out of there after you've shifted. you're welcome :)

lance2448

Yeah.....that's not normal. Mine shifted better than my last bike at exactly 0.1 miles. Up to 900 now, and it feels exactly the same...shifts perfectly, just a solid clunk from N to 1, but that's ok.

I would suspect your dealer should re-adjust it for you.

decooney

My buddy and I both bought FZ8s the same week, with a few more miles on his bike noting similar behavior in the first 0-100 miles on his bike. I have 52 miles on mine, he has 130 on his with him indicating he noticed some improvements starting to occur now. When I called my dealer, their lead service guy said these transmissions are very tight in setup and they would like to see me put more miles on it before making a final determination. Hope to swap bikes with my friend, compare, and try different riding boots and shoes, etc. After that, maybe a slight adjustment to the clutch engagement. I plan to bring it by the dealer and have them take it for a spin at my first opportunity.

Eagle

It seems that Yamaha is known to make "bad" gearboxes and transmissions.

Mine has 11700km (~7350 miles), still the huge "clack" from N to 1, and sometimes a little bit less from 1 to 2.

It lessens when the bike is around 75-85°C but it's still present.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I know I don't have the most experiance here, but isn't the "clank" from N into 1 fairly normal? My oldest bike was a 79 GS850 and my newst would be this one and they all did that for me. Even my dirtbikes did that, granted not quite so gnarly.

rail

It definitely has a more "solid" shift than my previous bikes, in that it does not seem to move as easily as my past bikes but it gives a good solid click and moves cleanly, unlike my previous Kawi and Suzukis which were easy to shift whenever but many times felt like something was grinding and gave me missed shifts and false neutrals.

I had the same issues as you when I picked mine up with 1500 miles... no problem now at ~2000 miles at the moment. I'm sure your bike is fine. 52 miles is nowhere near enough to learn the quirks of the engine :) what RPM do you shift at?

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I've got almost 1000 miles on mine, and the shifting is noticeably stiffer than other Japanese bikes I've owned (Honda VFR, Magna, cruisers, Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ZX6). It hasn't loosened up that I can tell, but it's not as bad as you describe. It just feels "sloppy" and "notchy".

D

Deleted member 438

I like the feel of the FZ8's trans, you know that you've selected the next gear.

RnR

decooney, what you're describing doesn't sound normal to me. Mine shifts fine. Practically identical to a 2009 FJR I owned, down to the 1st gear whine. I would make sure the dealer is aware and if they suggest to wait and see if it loosens up ... then get some miles on it.

I've ridden mine and a 2011 Fazer8 with about 250km on it and both gear boxes felt the same. Plus mine doesn't feel any looser after 1st service and now about 1200km. But like I said, it felt smooth right out of the box.

Good luck, hope you get this sorted out.

rail

I've got almost 1000 miles on mine, and the shifting is noticeably stiffer than other Japanese bikes I've owned (Honda VFR, Magna, cruisers, Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ZX6). It hasn't loosened up that I can tell, but it's not as bad as you describe. It just feels "sloppy" and "notchy".

much better description

Glovik

Mine has 11700km (~7350 miles), still the huge "clack" from N to 1

All bikes have that, it's never going to get "worn in" or go away. God forbid our bikes sound like a massive gavel, sentencing ripping the road up ;p. I love it.

TallGuyNW

You may be doing what I was doing and that's not really letting off the gear shift. Make sure when you shift up you physically push your boot back down or get your toe out of there after you've shifted. you're welcome :)

:agree:
When I first got my fz8, I was missing the shift from 1st to 2nd frequenty too until I realized my boot never really left the shifter when shifting up to 1st. I started making an effort to move my toe out of the way before shifting to 2nd (it's second nature now), and I don't miss shifts anymore.

decooney

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I think some are confusing the nuetral to first or downshift to first clunk beheavior as opposed to what I'm describing. Its not that. Its when 1st-to-2nd is seamless, and 2nd-to-3rd is not. Or 3rd-to-4th is seamless, and 4th-to-5th is not - intermittently. Other gear transitions work fine such as 1st-to-2nd always works fine. They symptoms subsided some once I got to 50 miles. I need to get 200+ miles on it and see if anything changes. I'm going to ride it a bit more and bring it to the dealer and let their head tech guy ride it and see. I've owned 20+ Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Harleys, Italian bikes and more and have not experienced this particular issue before on a new or used motorcycle. Strange thing is, my buddies new FZ8 was doing the same the first 50 miles, and his has started to improve some now at 130+ miles.

The dealer will know. Thanks again for the feedback, I wanted to get some ideas from in case it was a new break-in behavior due to tight setup. thx.

Last edited:

TallGuyNW

:agree:
When I first got my fz8, I was missing the shift from 1st to 2nd frequenty too until I realized my boot never really left the shifter when shifting up to 1st. I started making an effort to move my toe out of the way before shifting to 2nd (it's second nature now), and I don't miss shifts anymore.

"shifting up to 1st" LOL!
Yeah - messed up that whole posting... I meant I left my toe under, but still slightly pressing on the shifter after shifting up from 1st to 2nd and that made my 2nd to 3rd shifts inconsistent.