Custom made hard luggage

OdinSon

So I've wanted some hard cases for a while now but they're just too damned expensive for me so I thought I'd try building my own. Total materials cost is under $40. Took maybe 6 hours of work, mostly because I was just winging it as I went. I'm pretty happy with the results.

OdinSon

Hey Mike,

I used 1/2" electrical conduit cut to about 18" X4. Then I used some 5/16" flange nuts and JB quick welded them inside the tubes. I covered the whole tubes in shrink tube, drilled holes through the cases (cheap plano 4 pistol gun cases) and used 3/4" x 5/16" hex head bolts with rubber washers to attach the cases to the tubes. The reflectors I found at Walmart.

That's it in a nutshell really.

greenturbo

So I've wanted some hard cases for a while now but they're just too damned expensive for me so I thought I'd try building my own. Total materials cost is under $40. Took maybe 6 hours of work, mostly because I was just winging it as I went. I'm pretty happy with the results.

i like it.. thought of doing it myslef too

OdinSon

Thank you! So far they seem to be working really well. I also used some paracord attached to the inside of the cases and lids so they don't just flop open. I'm thinking about getting some insulating metal tape and putting it on the bottom of the case that's over the exhaust just in case the exhaust puts off enough heat to melt it. The last addition I have planned to spray a rubberized coating on the inside of the cases.