Cigarette cravings

Shorted

I quit smoking 14 months ago because I had open heart surgery(I guess that was the smart thing to do). I wasn't a chain smoker but a very consistent one, (about 8 to 10 cigarettes a day for about 20 years).. Anyway, these cravings will not go away. Shouldn't these be long gone? I realize its a stupid and nasty habit and I don't ever want to smoke again, I just want this cravings to go away. Anybody with a similar experience? Have you quit smoking and still want to smoke after some time has gone by?

pigdog

you have to work through the cravings. just knowing it only lasts for a short time helps. another thing that helps...smell a dirty ash tray. works every time

cambo

Avid Rider
you know what man...and this is totally not meant to poke fun at your smoking addiction. I don't smoke...but on the topic of addiction...I'm so damn addicted to diet coke it's ridiculous. Everyone's like...oohhhh shit you're gonna get cancer blah blah...ohh you're putting holes in your brain...and I know it's bad but I can't stop. I almost quit one time. I gave it up cold turkey and lasted a week. But the sight of a cold bottle of diet coke at the check out counter, and the wife isn't there to stop me...oh man...I cave everytime. And it's been downhill ever since.

Anyway, I'm with you brotha. I understand the addiction thing and I hope you get over the cravings. I've been at work for the past 6 hours and I've only had 4 cans so...I'm working on it. I used to have 4 cans an hour.

F3NIX

I quit about 28 months ago. I still get cravings. This is my second time of quiting...last time I made it 5 years without a drag....went to the bar one day after a fight with my old lady and that was it. This time around I just said fk it and quit. It gets better, but it never goes 100% away. Be strong....Live to Ride NOT Smoke to Die!

GL Bud!

ssky0078

I have helped a number of patients quit smoking. Let me break it down to 2 parts. The psychological component and the physical component.

The psychological component of smoking usually breaks down to two things, and that's stress and habit. Most people will turn to a cigarette during times of stress to settle nerves, provide a little increase in mental acuity and take a time out (smoke break). Learning other coping behaviors that are healthier, such as deep breathing, meditation, prayer, etc that can provide stress relief are helpful. I've used ear acupuncture to help my patients as well. Breaking the habit is the next big thing, which by your cold turkey method you have already done. People that are trying to quit it helps to put the cigarettes in the trunk if they are used to smoking in the car. If they smoke in the house, then put them outside. Whatever it takes to break the automatic behavior around smoking.

The physical component. The number of nicotine receptors in your brain increased during the time you were smoking. If you remember back at first you could have 1 or 2 cigarettes and feel the effects for hours. Then as you smoked more frequently it became 5 or 6 cigarettes to feel the same effect. And you luckily topped out at 8-10 cigarettes a day. Over the next several years your brain will be recycling and cannibalizing of those receptor sites. In the four years I worked in the addiction clinic the doctor I worked for taught me that he would see cycles that at 6 months, then 1 year, then 2 years, then 3 years, the cravings would suddenly come back for a few weeks, maybe a month, then go away again. His advice, stay strong, remember why you quit before you pick up that cigarette and ask yourself, "is this really what I want to do with my life?"

Good luck with staying on track. Smoking is a tough one to quit, but it is probably the single most negative health behavior in our society.

ps. you can also get some anti-smoking herbal formulas, they contain Lobelia, which has a chemical ingredient called Lobeline which attaches to nicotine receptors, If you are taking lobelia and smoke then you will get nauseous and maybe vomit.

Bajaedition

I have been smoke free for 22 years

still get cravings every once in a while

but I am still smoke free

I used to play with short pencils, like golf pencils, it helped a lot because a lot of it is just habit

MotoZen

I've never smoked because of the coughing fits that my dad used to get when I was younger. He used to have these long coughing fits that would last a few minutes and his face would turn bright red and looked horrible. He smoked about two packs a day at that time, but just thought of it completely turned me off.

He tried to quit a few times and always went back until now. He quit for 2 years once and eventually still went back. He eventually went to a hypnotist and has been smoke free for probably 10 years now.

Good luck and try to stay strong.

tjfisher

Been 4 years now smoke free still crave one but stay strong they ease up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Marthy

I smoke for about a month as a young teenager, wasn't for me. Asthma doesn't cope well with smoking. My parents both smoked, my Mom still. My Grand parents smoked too. So I think within me I'm a smoker without being a smoker. (I saw pics of my Mom pregnant with a beer and cigarette... yep, that was the 70's!!!)

As screw up as it sound... I get the craving once or twice a year. A little trip to the cigar bar usually fix it. Other than that... if you stopped, don't start over again. Get in a habit of having new habit to get your mind off smoking.

villhelmromero

you know what man...and this is totally not meant to poke fun at your smoking addiction. I don't smoke...but on the topic of addiction...I'm so damn addicted to diet coke it's ridiculous. Everyone's like...oohhhh shit you're gonna get cancer blah blah...ohh you're putting holes in your brain...and I know it's bad but I can't stop. I almost quit one time. I gave it up cold turkey and lasted a week. But the sight of a cold bottle of diet coke at the check out counter, and the wife isn't there to stop me...oh man...I cave everytime. And it's been downhill ever since.

it's called Aspartame. it's highly addictive, has more calories than sugar, does indeed put holes in your brain tissue, and is in EVERYTHING labeled "sugar free" that is sweet. on top of all that it is literally e-coli shit. they feed it sugar and it poos out sweet sweet poison. just fyi. don't believe me? do a bit of research and you'll be cautious of what you eat/drink for sure.

cambo

Avid Rider
it's called Aspartame. it's highly addictive, has more calories than sugar, does indeed put holes in your brain tissue, and is in EVERYTHING labeled "sugar free" that is sweet. on top of all that it is literally e-coli shit. they feed it sugar and it poos out sweet sweet poison. just fyi. don't believe me? do a bit of research and you'll be cautious of what you eat/drink for sure.

but E coli poo poo is SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

haha, thanks man, no i definitely believe you, I've been pointed to research it before and didn't want to believe what I read.

Shorted

I appreciate all the replies and input guys, it's been a very difficult year due to the fact that this triple bypass open heart surgery happend all of a sudden, I was 42 years old, healthy(except for the smoking, of course)not overweight and excercise very often, but when heart issues run in the family, not much you can do. It is hard to change habits from one day to another, I just have to keep on going and be strong. Take care everybody!