Check Engine Light

kevman41635

Does anyone know if the bike stores codes? I rode about 500 miles in the last two days and most of it was interstate and twice the check engine light came on and went back off, the bike never seemed to run any different. I was running it pretty hard and had a passenger on with me, so not sure what was going on with it? Can you check for codes with out going to the dealer, i have code readers for cars and trucks but not sure on the bike.

Yamacat1000

Ya it does, dont quote me but the fault may have to occur two or more times before stored.. These bikes do not require a computer to diagnose, just a service manual so to have your dealer read them should not take more than 10 mins. Start by depressing the "select" and "reset" buttons on the dash with the key OFF. Press and hold, turn the key on, you will notice the fuel guage start to flash. Continue holding them for 3-6 seconds. It will kick into diag mode. From there you will need a service manual or dealer to refer to for which codes are what. To exit diag. mode simply turn the key off. If your check engine light comes on (on a Yamaha) and is able to run often times it is a sensor reading out of spec in which case it will richen the fuel mixture to prevent any damage. If it is a component gone bad that will allow your bike to self destruct it is not supposed to run in which case the check engine light will flash while cranking. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Check Engine Light populates at 45mph

Ya it does, dont quote me but the fault may have to occur two or more times before stored.. These bikes do not require a computer to diagnose, just a service manual so to have your dealer read them should not take more than 10 mins. Start by depressing the "select" and "reset" buttons on the dash with the key OFF. Press and hold, turn the key on, you will notice the fuel guage start to flash. Continue holding them for 3-6 seconds. It will kick into diag mode. From there you will need a service manual or dealer to refer to for which codes are what. To exit diag. mode simply turn the key off. If your check engine light comes on (on a Yamaha) and is able to run often times it is a sensor reading out of spec in which case it will richen the fuel mixture to prevent any damage. If it is a component gone bad that will allow your bike to self destruct it is not supposed to run in which case the check engine light will flash while cranking. Hope this helps

Initially my check engine light never came on when I was having issues. The bike would run very sluggish when taking off and eventually lost a noticable amount of power. A dealer looked at it and said that it was only running on 3-cylinders. A shop ended up replacing 1 coil($130). My FZ8 ran perfect for roughly 1000 miles. Now the check engine light will come on at 45mph and still drop a cylinder intermittently. I am going to try this diag reading. Have you ever heard of an issue like this?