Chain Maintence

pajkrubi

Not sure on this bike yet because I just got mine as well but on my previous bike it needed tightened around the 5-600 mile mark but never stretched after that and it had around 10k miles on it when I traded it on the fz8. The adjustment is very easy. It's listed step by step in the owners manual with pictures. You basically loosen the big nut on the rear axle. Then loosen the two lock nuts on the adjuster bolts. Crank you adjuster bolts until the chain play is within spec (It doesn't take much either so go in 1/4-1/2 turn increments). Then tighten the axle nut again and then tighten up the lock nuts on the adjuster bolts. It sounds like a lot but it's not and it's very easy. Plus you only need a couple wrenches and a tape measure to do it.

DSmith

I only had to adjust my chain once so far. Had the bike over a year. Its pretty simple but youll want to use a swing arm stand, makes life alot easier. Basically you loosen your axle (its 32mm i believe) and adjust your chain tensioners. Measure your chain slack so its 20-30mm from top of the chain to top of the chain. Tourqe your axle back to 108ft lbs. I believe it shows you how in your manual as well.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Mine only got adjusted at the dealership for the first 12k miles. It never went out of spec during that time. Over the last 4k miles, I've had to adjust it about every other tank of gas. It's time for a new chain.

pigdog

when you adjust, keep it on the loose side (with the chain rotated to its tightest links), as measured from the bottom of the chain in neutral. if you don't it will stretch more. as a chain heats up it does not get looser, it gets tighter!

master paper clip

Is it sad that I can't answer this, I'm horrible on my chain, I pay it no mind till I look at it, if it looks dry I lube it, I lift the chain with my boot, if it looks loose I'll adjust it, chasing down 20k of all year DD riding on my oem chain and sprockets, I use this stuff called DuPont Teflon spray, and I can tell u it DOES keep the dirt off your chain. I have never wiped my chain down

Last edited:

socal

to keep the wheel aligned use a pair if inside calipers or a dial caliper to measure the tension bolts length and adjust till the same.
but to do the chain lift bike, loosen axle, adj one side till slack is sufficient, adj other side till aligned, tighten axle. 108 ftlb, check locknuts.

pajkrubi

Is it sad that I can't answer this, I'm horrible on my chain, I pay it no mind till I look at it, if it looks dry I lube it, I lift the chain with my boot, if it looks loose I'll adjust it, chasing down 20k of all year DD riding on my oem chain and sprockets, I use this stuff called DuPont Teflon spray, and I can tell u it DOES keep the dirt off your chain. I have never wiped my chain down

I used the same stuff on my cbr and it works great and has very little sling at all. Your chain will still get dirty though. Mine would look clean until I took a rag with kerosene on it and wiped it down and you should have seen the black goop that would come off! I only ever cleaned mine off every so often though but I was sure to lube it about once a week or so since I commuted on my bike and racked up roughly 4-500 miles a week.

And I'll second the part about keeping your chain on the looser end of spec because keeping it tight is really hard on the front sprocket shaft bearings. And you don't need to have calipers or anything to adjust your chain. Just make sure you turn each bolt an equal distance. I do mine in 1/4 turn increments. I'll turn one side a 1/4 turn and then the other a 1/4 turn. Small increments though because when I tightened my cbr's chain I just cranked them and waaaay overtightened it and then had to loosen them, bump the tire forward and start over. I learned my lesson when it was time to adjust the wifes chain.;)

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
About to buy a new chain and sprocket set. Any suggestions on which chain to get? I'm going to keep everything setup as stock, but I am open to the idea that there are better products out there than the factory puts on these bikes. I've heard D&D is the way to go, but only heard 2 or 3 reviews on them from people that I trust. Ideas? I don't mean to hijack, but it seems this is relevant.

DSmith

About to buy a new chain and sprocket set. Any suggestions on which chain to get? I'm going to keep everything setup as stock, but I am open to the idea that there are better products out there than the factory puts on these bikes. I've heard D&D is the way to go, but only heard 2 or 3 reviews on them from people that I trust. Ideas? I don't mean to hijack, but it seems this is relevant.

I was actually wondering the same thing. Not ready for a new chain or sprockets yet but when the time comes i wanna have some options, but still keep stock sizes.

cambo

Avid Rider
when you adjust, keep it on the loose side (with the chain rotated to its tightest links), as measured from the bottom of the chain in neutral. if you don't it will stretch more. as a chain heats up it does not get looser, it gets tighter!

dayum...I did not know that. I've always had my chain adjusted super tight. So tight that when I had the bike up on a rear stand and the engine was running, the rear wheel would not turn at all. It would only barely turn when I revved it. I imagine that could've been a bad accident waiting to happen?