Catalytic Converter

MikeC

Weekend Rider
thats what i did. gutted the cat on my wrapped headers and brought and nice oem set with a o2 of ebay for smog.

best way to take it out is to cut the end off when it takes like 15 mins to beat it out. you just need to have a welder to put it back together.

Good point! I was even wondering if there's enough clearance in there to weld a flange in so it's a bolt on/bolt off operation. (Maybe a V-Band)

A

AndyDehnRules

Are there pictures or tutorials that are out there or is it obvious when you take the exhaust off? I couldn't find anything in my searches and I didn't want to search "gutting the cat" on youtube for fear of what might show up lol...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Technically it enables exhaust to flow more freely. Usually this translates to a bit less resistance on the motor across the RPM range. Removing the cat will make the bike sound, as described by others, a bit deeper or louder.

I've also heard it described as "raspy" if you don't have a muffler or resonator.

although I'm in California (one of the toughest emissions states) but truthfully, I think there are better ways to get the gains. (Lose 20lbs, airbox/filter, new muffler) The downside of removing the cat is that it leaves exhaust fumes on your clothes. I REALLY don't care too much for that smell, nor the hassle of drilling out the cat and on top of that Catalytic converters from the factory run a couple hundred bucks so it's expensive if you change your mind. The worst part is that the cat is integrated into the header so these two pieces can't be modded independently unless you get some work done on it at an exhaust shop.

Granted, cats on bikes is not as heavily enforced as cars, and only recently have they started putting cats on bikes, but in my opinion it was a good move. At least for me, my bike is plenty fast enough, and I could afford to lose 50 lbs.

lyric911

I don't recommend the cat gutting at all. It takes forever and sucks ass to do. It's barely noticeable audibly and the increased power, if you can even call it that, is not noticeable either.

C

Camo

I don't recommend the cat gutting at all. It takes forever and sucks ass to do. It's barely noticeable audibly and the increased power, if you can even call it that, is not noticeable either.

That's what I got from it when I initially started following the guys posting up about it.
I'm just going to buy arrow headers.

master paper clip

Didn't even take me an hr, I got a horse shoe spike and hammered it there a few times and pulled out the chunks, deffinatly deeper and more responsive then when the cat was in.. But eventually I will get a full system

socal

I'm pretty much convinced that it is one of the main reasons for the 4-6k power loss. I wish I knew or trusted a shop enough around here to cut mine off and weld a replacement piece on. Don't know a demill tool might eat that crap up pretty good, but I'll go ahead and warn you. Wear a mask and safety glasses. I can't remember which metal it is, but there's a special metal, expensive metal too, that most cats are made with and the dust is hazardous.

If memory serves me right the're 2 types of cats. Ceramic and metalic refering to the internals. The metalic are usually on expensive vehicles. The "special metal" is the actual catalyst usually a mix of platinum, rhodium, titanium dioxide, palladium, mangnese, cerium, and nickel. This is why we use unleaded fuel because leaded fuel can "poison" the catalyst rendering it ineffective at reducing NOX and CO levels.

W

WARPTH

does gutting the cat give u more power? or just change the tone?

if you get busted with out a cat converter on your "fuel injected vehicle" in australia it can carry maximum penalty of $15,000 AUD for the driver of the vehicle and $25,000 AUD for the person responsible for the removal...
down here when they have their "HOON BUSTS" they also have sniffers at all the defect stations, they stick a probe into your exhaust and measure exhaust gas toxens and it tells them if you have a cat or not.

B

bren

if you get busted with out a cat converter on your "fuel injected vehicle" in australia it can carry maximum penalty of $15,000 AUD for the driver of the vehicle and $25,000 AUD for the person responsible for the removal...
down here when they have their "HOON BUSTS" they also have sniffers at all the defect stations, they stick a probe into your exhaust and measure exhaust gas toxens and it tells them if you have a cat or not.

Fark... We can't get away with squat!!

W

WARPTH

yeah tell me about it... been thinking of getting rid of my modified cars and bike and becoming a drug or weapons dealer. id get hassled alot less by the cops than.

F

Fazed

I was just hoping to get a yellow sticker and swap the original header back on.