Carbon Fiber Top Set Cover

Primo87

It all started last weekend. When a few people from work wanted to go to the mountains and loaded up four bikes on the trailer. During the trip we had a ratchet strap malfunction "meaning someone ratcheded the bike around a pinch point" and one of the straps broke on the bike next to mine. We didn't notice for about ten miles and when we checked on the trailer we found that the other bike had been resting on the plastic covering the air box. The handle bar just wore away a whole in the plastic. So now i have the bright Idea of fixing it with fiberglass resin and now I am in the process of putting a fiberglass overlay on it and I think its gonna work out and match the two brothers exhaust and the tank pad that i have that are both carbon fiber.

We'll see how it turns out

Here are some pics of the process but I'm not done yet

View attachment 2739

View attachment 2740

View attachment 2741

View attachment 2742

cxa0897

How difficult is that to work with?

I've done a small bit of work with a kevlar/carbon weave and it was fairly straight forward. Straight carbon looks a bit worse for some reason though...probably the tighter weave...

F3NIX

Very interesting. I would like to see this when its done. Looks pretty awesome. :)

Sent from my phone

Primo87

Still working on the finishing. got caught up at work and haven't had a chance to finish yet. But the carbon fiber isn't bad to work with. It's definitely a less flexible then regular fiber glass. It wouldn't have been able to stick if i didn't vacuum it on, but sanding it is just like any other fiberglass.

F3NIX

Any chance of posting build pics. I would like to see how you did this. I love the carbon fiber look. Did you just use a regular vacuum? And a big plastic bag?

Sent from my phone

Primo87

Any chance of posting build pics. I would like to see how you did this. I love the carbon fiber look. Did you just use a regular vacuum? And a big plastic bag?

Sent from my phone

No, I was at the shop where I work I was using a vacuum trandsucer, and built a vacuum bag out of a high heat thick plastic. Its kind of what i do for a living.

I found this web site Kinda give you a look at how i build it.Vacuum Bagging Basics