Break in.

Trek

The dealer told me that during the break-in period to vary the rpm's while riding.
I haven't broken in a bike before, and I was wondering how much I'm supposed to vary the rpm's and what the max it should be run during break-in.

marko

I have a 2012 FZ8. I have been an auto master tech for 25 years and everyone has a different opinion on how to break in an engine. According to Yamaha, you are to keep the engine below 5900 rpm for the first 600 miles and vary the rpm. Do not do any steady high rpm rides like on the hwy. After that change the oil and filter and you are good to go. With todays technology in eng building, the engine is broken in after the first 100 miles. I kept my eng below 5900 for the first 100 miles and then varied it at short bursts up to 8000 for the next 200 miles. After that .....redline is the limit. It also pays to get the revs up because you want the piston to hit the very top of the cylinder in order not to create a ridge. Have fun

lyric911

I have a 2012 FZ8. I have been an auto master tech for 25 years and everyone has a different opinion on how to break in an engine. According to Yamaha, you are to keep the engine below 5900 rpm for the first 600 miles and vary the rpm. Do not do any steady high rpm rides like on the hwy. After that change the oil and filter and you are good to go. With todays technology in eng building, the engine is broken in after the first 100 miles. I kept my eng below 5900 for the first 100 miles and then varied it at short bursts up to 8000 for the next 200 miles. After that .....redline is the limit. It also pays to get the revs up because you want the piston to hit the very top of the cylinder in order not to create a ridge. Have fun

The piston travels the same distance no matter the RPM. It's not like the connecting rod gets longer because it's moving faster. (Yes, metal flexes/stretches. Not *that* much.)

Frengo

Marko is right! At higher rpm, the inertial force generated by the piston increases (it is directly related to the linear speed), and is able to slightly lengthen the piston rod at tdc... the amount is minimal, but when keeping an engine at low rpm most of the time, after long mileages a difference in diameter would be noticeable in the upper area of the cylinder. Very small, of course, but nevertheless real!

marko

break-in

Under the forum: FZ8 General Discussion...........look under engine break-in article....I guess everyone is a mechanic with years and years of training by major manufactures these days....until something with modern technology breaks and they need a real technician.

H

Hoover

If you make an engine "work" during break-in, it will always end up smoother and with more horsepower than one that is babied.

You cannot beat the crap out of it, but you should push it from time to time as you put on the miles.

I changed my oil 4 times prior to 2000 miles to get the microscopic crap out and now run full synth.

My mantra has been break it in the same way you plan on riding/driving it.

switch263

Under the forum: FZ8 General Discussion...........look under engine break-in article....I guess everyone is a mechanic with years and years of training by major manufactures these days....until something with modern technology breaks and they need a real technician.

Can you (or anyone, really) link to this article please? I can't seem to find it. I bought a 2012 FZ8 about 2 weeks ago and am quickly approaching break-in mileage! :)

Rgraphic

I have about 3000 miles on my bike and thinking about going to synthetic. Is there anything special i need to do when switching from conventional? Can the yamaha oil filters be used for synthetic as well? Just want to be sure i do things by the books as I'm fairly new to doing my own maintenance. Any preferences? I generally like to use mobil 1 in my cars when I get synthetic.

hypo

I go to walmart, get my oil filter there and use the SHELL ROTELLA T6 and walk out for 26 bucks I think??? nothing wrong with synthetic, just keep it on routine and listen to your bike. you should be fine.

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters

more info than I've ever needed to know about oils and filters, but the inside pictures of some of those filters will make you think twice about what you put on your car, bike, anything....

Here is the page where he cuts the filters open and shows you how cr@ppy some of them are made:

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction <-- on the left column of this page click on your manufacturer of choice for the oil filters... or do a search of these forums for OIL FILTER and you'll see Literski's post with pictures etc...

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I have about 3000 miles on my bike and thinking about going to synthetic. Is there anything special i need to do when switching from conventional? Can the yamaha oil filters be used for synthetic as well? Just want to be sure i do things by the books as I'm fairly new to doing my own maintenance. Any preferences? I generally like to use mobil 1 in my cars when I get synthetic.

PM sent on this.