Break-in Paranoia

ramrod

So right now my odometer is reading 989 miles... 11 miles short of the 1K mark. I am getting antsy because I want to open her up. The bike will be probably fine if I open her up before that 1,000 mark, but I'm sort of OCD like that were I don't feel 'right' until I hit that mark.

I think I already know the anwser but should I open her up or wait it out? Please flame away.

C

calscrazy

+1 on both replies. rip it up thats what i did, do and have done on everything!

Fazer401

Break in

Yeah, break in guidelines are outdated according to the experts. After 500 you're certainly ready to rip, I put my faith in the new school- new bikes parts are computer engineered and tolerances are so tight that a long, gentle break in is not only not needed but counterproductive. The idea is get on and ride it like you own it from go. Look at the before and afters of engines broken in both ways...compelling evidence.

V

Vapordan

Well, motoman doesn't offer to cover any warranty repairs, right? Yamaha does, if you follow break-in recommendations. So you should take motoman's advice with a grain of salt. Full disclosure: I'm breaking mine in roughly because I happen to think that machines perform best under load. As long as that load is introduced gradually.

Here's the reason why I think so: It's a matter of cost and brand value. If Yamaha's break-in procedure was inefficient or sub-optimal, it would result in increased maintenance cost and lower brand satisfaction because the engines would incur increase maintenance cost, would not last long and would not perform according to spec. The reason they haven't changed their break-in requirement is because it is designed to get the engine to perform up to stated specs for the useful life of the engine. It's strictly down to total cost of ownership and brand value.

Companies don't simply 'put-together' a break-in process. It's achieved with design sessions with the engineers and mechanics along with quality controls that open and inpect engines adjusting the break-in recommendations to make sure that these recommendations represent the majority of use cases for target geographicl regions operating within tolerance limits - you can tell I'm a corporate suit eh?

That said, I do not believe Yamaha's break-in recommendations are suited to racing and high performance riding at all. I think this is where motoman's claim may have some value.

ramrod

Thanks for everyone's reply, unfortunetly the roads look wet this AM so I guess I won't be opening her up until my ride back from work or even this weekend.

I'll tell you what though, I'm glad this period is over so I don't have to be worried about this 'phantom' red-line.

TeleRob

I'm paranoid enough to think that Yamaha engineers would store some sort of log data for max RPMs reached per mileage milestone. So IF you had a warranty claim, they would have proof whether or not you broke your engine in properly according to their guidelines...

I'm not saying they do this, but it makes sense to me.

V

Vapordan

Why do you think it is paranoia? It is a best practice that software systems (think ECU) capture details periodically and especially in the event of a catastrophic failure. While some of the info is available to you via diagnostics, most of it isn't. The good thing is that it usually isn't cost effective to pursue this option individually - class action lawsuit or subpoena, definitely. It's cheaper for them to just fix the bike under warranty or threaten you via counter-claim.

Last edited by a moderator: