Bluing on headers. Thoughts?

FZ8Ryder

I know some of you may find this odd but I kind of like the bluing on the tops of the headers. I was just wondering if im the only one who does. I know a lot of people like to get rid of the bluing but is there a way to create more bluing along the pipes? Thank you.

Skiman

The following is from another forum, hope it helps...

"Gold and blue pipes result because the exhaust is running too hot. There are three reasons for this. The first, most common reasons, is that the bike is running lean. A lean mixture causes exhaust temperature to rise very sharply. A slightly rich mix will not cause blued or yellowed pipes.

However, a very rich mix can result in an extreme case of bluing. This happens when the mix is not completely burned in the combustion chamber, (either due to a too rich mix, malfunctioning coil, burned valve, improper timing, or whatnot) and rather ignites inside the exhaust. This can result in an exhaust pipe that glows red while the bike is running. Only in this extreme case can a too-rich mixture cause bluing.

The common myth that blue is lean and gold is rich (or the reverse) is just that. A myth.

Third, long periods of idle can cause pipes to blue because there isn't any airflow to blow off the heat. (some people let their bikes idle way too long upon start up before they take off)"

9 Lives

If its just the first inch or so where they mount to the head, that's normal. If the hole pipe is blue then I would be concerned. These bikes run a bit on the lean side right from the factory in order to pass emission tests.

pigdog

i leave a little bluing on the pipes when polishing. if you want more bluing use a welding torch. don't forget to use shielding.

Woody146

Banned
I know some of you may find this odd but I kind of like the bluing on the tops of the headers. I was just wondering if im the only one who does. I know a lot of people like to get rid of the bluing but is there a way to create more bluing along the pipes? Thank you.

Put a small ocillating fan facing your exhaust IMMEDIATALEY after you get done riding..the shock from hot to cold will blue them...a very slow heat treating process lol

FZ8Ryder

The following is from another forum, hope it helps...

"Gold and blue pipes result because the exhaust is running too hot. There are three reasons for this. The first, most common reasons, is that the bike is running lean. A lean mixture causes exhaust temperature to rise very sharply. A slightly rich mix will not cause blued or yellowed pipes.

However, a very rich mix can result in an extreme case of bluing. This happens when the mix is not completely burned in the combustion chamber, (either due to a too rich mix, malfunctioning coil, burned valve, improper timing, or whatnot) and rather ignites inside the exhaust. This can result in an exhaust pipe that glows red while the bike is running. Only in this extreme case can a too-rich mixture cause bluing.

The common myth that blue is lean and gold is rich (or the reverse) is just that. A myth.

Third, long periods of idle can cause pipes to blue because there isn't any airflow to blow off the heat. (some people let their bikes idle way too long upon start up before they take off)"

Thank you for all the info. I haven't changed anything performance wise besides a K&N air filter so I don't know why it would be running so lean. There was some bluing there since I bought it. Is there a way for me to correct this and is it problem that needs to be addressed? Would this effect the gas mileage?
Also my other question, is there something you can put on pipes to make them blue without the bike running too lean or too rich?
Thank you all for your input.
TorontoAlex: Perfectly said!!
Thanks woody and pigdog that's what I was wondering :D

TorontoAlex

Is it possible that this blueing thing is a myth. Does anyone here NOT get blue pipes? My CB750, Search Puch Twigle 250, my dad's Shadow 1100 all had blue pipes close to the engine.

Pardon my ignorance, but if we have o2 sensors, ECUs etc I would think our mixtures would be fine.

I would guess that maybe back in the old days, reading your mixture was based on pipe color, spark plug color, etc. which could give you a general idea of rich or lean. These days I would think it's just fine to have a mix closer to 1:14.

pigdog

its like the borg, polishing your pipes is futile. the best polished headers cant stand up to the first mud puddle. ride on and remember,, to put your kickstand down before riding