Best results possible with stock forks

rug_burn

Considering the fact that the FZ8's stock forks actually work pretty well for my weight (200 lbs) and needs- (medium grade canyon carving on fairly smooth roads), I'm thinkin' that maybe I could fine tune things with just changing the oil on the compression side.

The only beef I have is that the front end could be just a little stiffer in compression. The rebound rate is about right, I think, and works okay. The front end dives a little under hard braking and maybe could be a little stiffer here. It seems pretty good in turns, bumps and everywhere else.

Another thing that would be pretty easy to do is rig up some pressure caps with schrader valves to let us effectively increase spring rate and preload, although not independently.

Has anyone else tried just increasing the viscosity of oil in one side only? Helluva lot easier than swapping out the forks.
Next time I have the front wheel off, I'm going to do this.
I'll report back -

Last edited:
S

Shock

Interesting however for best results if you truly want to canyon carve is to have RaceTech rebuild them and if you change the front you'll want to address the rear as balance between the two is a good thing

Trooper

being that you are in California, you can try these guys as well:

Catalyst Reaction

They do a great job rebuilding forks, and considering you wouldn't need much to make them better, ( possibly a piston valve kit) it should not cost you too much.