Barnett Clutch Springs

Jacek3743

Just got these installed yesterday and boy, do they make a huge difference on the feel of the clutch. The clutch is a little bit heavier but not too major where I have to use all my force to pull it in. For $23 bucks on eBay, this mod is worth it! I'll keep posted on a longer ride how it feels and etc.

tjfisher

Ok so why do we want a heavier clutch . whats the benifit? is the factory setup
slipping? Truly interested in the benifit

Jacek3743

Well after a couple of unsuccessful burnouts, I had a harder time find the spot where I could feel the clutch engage. The springs solved that problem. It reduces any minimal and premature clutch slipping which I already started having. Overall I feel the bike engages better now after the install but that's my opinion.

b-eock

If you're doing burnouts, don't ride the clutch. Let it all the way out. That will burn it up really quick.

I will be getting the plates and springs. If you ever get plates, soak them in fresh oil for AT LEAST 48 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jacek3743

If you're doing burnouts, don't ride the clutch. Let it all the way out. That will burn it up really quick.

I will be getting the plates and springs. If you ever get plates, soak them in fresh oil for AT LEAST 48 hours.

Found that out the hard way....

alexk

Weekend Rider
While not a Yamaha, the clutch on my previous bike (Buell Blast - basically a '99 Harley Sportster with half the engine lopped off) had to be replaced at 3,000 miles (shift detent plate retainer clip broke, got shredded, and introduced into the clutch... PoS).

I chose to use an aftermarket kit with a 20% stiffer spring and with 20% more friction area on the fiber rings. The kit was marketed as a racer kit, but I chose it for price (cost less than stock and included the spring compression tool). The difference in clutch feel was night and day - the friction zone was much increased and more linear. I was expecting a clunkier, nastier clutch, and was very pleased and surprised by the effect.

If going to stiffer springs on the Yamaha causes a similar effect, it might be worth looking into. Do keep us updated as it wears!

tjfisher

Well after a couple of unsuccessful burnouts, I had a harder time find the spot where I could feel the clutch engage. The springs solved that problem. It reduces any minimal and premature clutch slipping which I already started having. Overall I feel the bike engages better now after the install but that's my opinion.

And that was what i was wondering.
I can tell the stock setup has a sloppy bite. Might need to get some heavier springs as well . What was the parts # you put in ? link?

cpatt

i have the barnet clutch springs and carbon graphite pads in my bike. love them i burnt out the yamaha clutch after having the bike for 1000 miles it had 6000 on it i think. this clutch has 6000 on it and its still like new