axle and engine case sliders...do or dont?

FastZ8

So here's the deal. I currently have frame sliders on my bike and am thinking about putting axle sliders on mainly to protect my forks and swingarm.My first question is do you really need them? I don't know how the bike lays when on it's side to know if the axle sliders will really prevent any real damage? My next question is about the engine case sliders. I have been checking them out and as they are expensive little bugers I notice they bolt on with the hardware that bolts directly through the side cover and into the engine case. So is it a fair assumption to say they may cause more damage then they are worth in the event of a crash by breaking bolts off or breaking the bolt holes out of your engine block? Just some thoughts and ideas please anyone with any experience with any of this feel free to chime in with any comments you may have good or bad.

Rotaryknight

frame sliders are good at protecting the bike under 50mph. It will protect the gas tank and possibly the frame of the bike itself from being dragged or dropped onto the ground. It will also protect the transmission cover and the stator cover along with the rearsets if you get a frameslider that is long enough. In certain drops, it also protects your radiator. The bolts that it mounts to are the engine support bolts, they are strong enough to the point where the frame will rip off the bike instead of it breaking. I have seen it happen. Since you have frame sliders already, thats basically covers 90% of your damage

Whats this engine case sliders, engine guard brackets? If so, the above statement applies to it as well. But depending on who makes it, they can with stand a lot of damage before the bike.

The swingarm sliders arent really needed because the rear fender cover will almost always touch the ground first before the swingarm does, so too does the exhaust if the bike drops on its right side. I have swingarm sliders but they also act as my spoolarm for the stands which I think pretty much all swingarm sliders do. Swingarm/axel sliders doesnt really offer any protection in a drop

Last edited:

pigdog

sounds like one of you crashed & the other is making plans to. protect yourself, then your bike. and yes, i have "crashed" 7 times in 44 years. has anyone seen my left testicle rolling around on the 101 near the sb off ramp?

Woody146

Banned
If you get axel sliders....DO NOT BUY EBAY parts!!! Actually..that's just a general rule of thumb...my buddy went down on his gsxr going under 10mph

This broke off...

BMXkruzer

When you have frame sliders then engine case cover is really not necessary. I had one on my supermoto to prevent the shifter from puncturing in the event of a fall. But the shifter isn't in the same position on sportbikes.
As for the axel sliders when your bike is on it's side the two points of contact in the front are the tire and bar ends if that. But in most cases your bike will only touch front and rear tire and frame sliders. So I would say waste of money...

Suave96

So here's the deal. I currently have frame sliders on my bike and am thinking about putting axle sliders on mainly to protect my forks and swingarm.My first question is do you really need them? I don't know how the bike lays when on it's side to know if the axle sliders will really prevent any real damage? My next question is about the engine case sliders. I have been checking them out and as they are expensive little bugers I notice they bolt on with the hardware that bolts directly through the side cover and into the engine case. So is it a fair assumption to say they may cause more damage then they are worth in the event of a crash by breaking bolts off or breaking the bolt holes out of your engine block? Just some thoughts and ideas please anyone with any experience with any of this feel free to chime in with any comments you may have good or bad.

I paid $35 for my shogun frame sliders. I dropped my bike in gravel going around 20mpr. I know that wasn't very fast but the only damage I had was to the slider and and my bar end mirror. I was able to buff out the scratches and repaint the mirror. Best $35 I've spent. I have noticed that the shoguns stick out further than some others I've seen. I said all that to say I think the sliders should be enough.

master paper clip

Added protection for your investment and that piece of mind that she's protected when u go down is never a waste of money, actually the opposite I find that feeling worth every penny

BMXkruzer

I paid $35 for my shogun frame sliders. I dropped my bike in gravel going around 20mpr. I know that wasn't very fast but the only damage I had was to the slider and and my bar end mirror. I was able to buff out the scratches and repaint the mirror. Best $35 I've spent. I have noticed that the shoguns stick out further than some others I've seen. I said all that to say I think the sliders should be enough.

My point exactly. If you're ever going fast enough for your bike to teeter on to the fork or swing arm it means your bike is most likely going to slide ride off the road into a ditch, curb or guard rail, in which case axel sliders don't do anything except provide "peace of mind." Frame sliders will be just fine for my bike but that's me.

vibhubithar

Newb Question

So I just bought a 12 FZ8 and the way radiator protrudes out of the frame I am definitely going to install frame sliders. Now the question is? is it a DIY project or have to take it to a shop? how you guys did it??

vibhubithar

U just order them and then they bolt rite on

Perfect thanks, I am planning to order shogun frame sliders. Any opinion on them

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shogun-Frame-Sliders-Part-750-6389/dp/B0085XZW3O/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I5TDEW68WUEP]Amazon.com: Shogun Frame Sliders Part # 750-6389: Automotive[/ame]

vibhubithar

TorontoAlex - i think this answers our questions

FastZ8

Perfect thanks, I am planning to order shogun frame sliders. Any opinion on them

Amazon.com: Shogun Frame Sliders Part # 750-6389: Automotive

I have shogun sliders I bought them as soon as I bought the bike. They stick out far enough to protect most everything except maybe the tail of the bike depending on how it goes down I guess but I like them and think they are good quality and would purchase another set if I'm ever so inclined.

vibhubithar

I have shogun sliders I bought them as soon as I bought the bike. They stick out far enough to protect most everything except maybe the tail of the bike depending on how it goes down I guess but I like them and think they are good quality and would purchase another set if I'm ever so inclined.

Great thanks, i am ordering following for my new bike :)

Shogun Frame Sliders Part # 750-6389 - SHOGUN
CRG Bar End Mirrors - Blindsight Black - CRG
Lethal Threat YSLT70030 Clear Tank Pad for All Sportbikes - Lethal Threat

07cobaltLScoupe

i have shogun frame sliders from surfsidemoto and they stick out close to probably 4", no complaints here. look nice and good quality

i also wanted to change mirrors but i found it's tougher to see with bar-ends and if the bike would ever drop say bye-bye mirror, frame sliders won't save the mirror in that situation