Apex Clipons

Lee_533

Just ordered my Apex adjustable clipons today. So next weekend I should be doing the swap. Forks, Brakelines, and clipons will all be in one day

D

Deleted member 438

Just ordered my Apex adjustable clipons today. So next weekend I should be doing the swap. Forks, Brakelines, and clipons will all be in one day

Good stuff...can't wait to see how they turn out. What height rise did you get?

Lee_533

Good stuff...can't wait to see how they turn out. What height rise did you get?

I went with the 3" adjustable. So I can have standard height or a 3" rise which should be about where my bars are now. I'm going to set them as low as possible.

B

bren

Just ordered and fitted new black low rise bars to my bike... Wish I waited to see how this panned out now!!!!

Lee_533

Glad to hear people are interested. I'm way excited to get the new front end on my bike. I can't wait!

B

bren

If they are the goods, I reckon I may be changing my bars AGAIN!! Lol

I can hear my wife now.....

B

bren

Fuck it. I'm gonna order some!! What does everyone think, rise or no rise?

I'm thinking lower is better. More like the riding position on a super sport?

Where would be the best place to fit them? Above or below the plate at the top of the forks?

C

Camo

I'm pretty sure they'll have to go under... Lower will be better for track or spirited street riding and I'm hoping with the 4inches of rise you'd have enough to still do distance riding fairly comfortably.
Hoping Lee will take a few before and after measurements to give some kind of idea:)

mrthompson

My assumption would be yes with rise and under the triple tree. That way you have a good amount of adjustability. If they are to high you can always slide them lower.

Lee_533

I'm placing mine under the triple and since they are adjustable, I'm going to try and get them as low as possible without them hitting the tank. I will take some measurements before and after to see how much of a difference it makes. I'm more interested in having the bars angle down instead of straight out. It's uncomfortable to get full tuck with the stock bars

D

Deleted member 438

Fuck it. I'm gonna order some!! What does everyone think, rise or no rise?

I'm thinking lower is better. More like the riding position on a super sport?

Where would be the best place to fit them? Above or below the plate at the top of the forks?

Unless you want to lower the bike, then you'll have to mount below the triple. This is something I've been considering since last track season and I decided I would go with a 4" rise so that I could go up for street and lower em for the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shock

Curious because it seems that you're making the FZ8 into a super sport what are your plans for he motor? FZ1 engine swap?

Lee_533

Curious because it seems that you're making the FZ8 into a super sport what are your plans for he motor? FZ1 engine swap?

Lol. No, I love the motor. I want the clip on so I can tuck easier and because it will make adjusting the forks easier. Plus I like changing things up. I think it will give it a cool look. Like I said in previous posts, I bought the bike because I love the naked street fighter look, but I also want to make it unique so it's mine. I don't cruise, I only ride hard so I figured I would mod it to match my riding style. I know a lot of you think that the fz8 should be left alone but I think there's nothing wrong with mods. And I know, "why don't you just buy an R1 or R6?" Because I like this bike is my answer. Believe me, if they made an R1 or 6 that looked like the FZ8, I would have bought it. But they don't so I figured I would buy this and change things up a bit. It's still cheaper than buying a super sport and making it a street fighter. Making a nice looking street fighter out of a super sport is expensive, I've known people that've done it and I did my research. By the time I'm done I'll be around 11K in to my bike which is still cheaper than buying an R6.

C

Camo

Well said Lee.

I rode my usual weekday ride today and stopped for a cold drink. Pulled up next to a sick looking street triple and what do ya know, apex riser clipons and vortex rear sets!
Looked unreal!

Lee_533

I actually thought about buying the street triple but couldn't justify spending that amount on it when the 8 was way cheaper. I think the triple was 3K more than the 8 if I remember right. And I still would have changed everything lol. I do like the triple though, very cool look.

C

Camo

I actually thought about buying the street triple but couldn't justify spending that amount on it when the 8 was way cheaper. I think the triple was 3K more than the 8 if I remember right. And I still would have changed everything lol. I do like the triple though, very cool look.

Same, loved the trumpies and they seem to track well.

The striple had the clipons upside down compared to the pics you can see here on the website. Looked to be a whole lot like a 600 sports seating triangle... If I go this route I'll be having them as pictured in that link, slightly less aggressive than a 600 I'd reckon.

Also need to look into tidying up the mess where the old risers would have been, looks scabby to me. I shoulda taken some pics:confused: