Any former Ducati Monster owners now on FZ8s ???

decooney

Myself and a friend originally started out to buy either used or new Ducati Monsters, and ended up buying FZ8s instead just over a month ago. We both own other italian bikes today, but when it came down to doing our research on naked street-fighter bikes the overall performance, maintenance, reliability the FZ8 was the more obvious choice for us. We discovered too many online horror stories on newer 2010, 2011 Monsters. Read complaints on Ducati forums about idle stalling, tank expansion, electrical issues, poor head machining and cold starts, poor resale value, low rpm redline, vibration, and more that made us both just say no this time around. Came close to buying two 2011 air-cooled 2v vs. 4v Monsters for its basic design and less hassle; but not close enough. Our motto for this final purchase decision was, "great performance and value, and we've gotta be able to push the button and go, and not worry about riding it or putting miles on it". Decision was a pair of new FZ8s. Really enjoying the FZ8s far first 600 miles. No offense to Ducati Monster owners here, and I just love the Ducati Monster Diesel version too. If I wasn't thrifty, I'd possibly still own both, but the FZ8 is really growing on me so far after five rides.

QUESTION:
Any former Monster owners here, and why did you switch to the FZ8?

Last edited:

RnR

I owned one Ducati. Not a Monster, an ST4s. It was nothing but problems. I'm sure there are lots of happy Ducati owners and I might even have another one someday. But it's hard to argue that they are not stellar in the dependability department. Maintenance is more involved as well.

C

calscrazy

i had a 2007 monster. in the 4 years i owned it had to replace four tanks due to swelling. i was very unhappy with that. the price of ownership is ridiculous. the only way to get the true power out of them is to dump 3k on a full exhaust, dp ecu and have it dyno tuned. maintenance is expensive unless you do it yourself. valve job is about $1200. bought the bike new for 10k and probably put another 5k in it for exhaust, tune,and accessories. dont get me wrong it was fun to ride because of the broad powerband and torque but alot of the 4's have closed that gap.

after riding an 1100, streetfighter and the fz8 i was happier with the 8. it was more comfortable for me. price and cost of ownership is alot cheaper. not to mention how often on a daily commuter do u really use all the extra power of 1100. my fz8 can keep up with all the duc owners i know but 3.

IMHO stay with the 8. get the suspension done, exhaust, pcv, and whatever lil goodies you want. take the extra money and go take some road trips. north carolina, upper georgia, eastern tennessee, ozarks in arkansas, 3 sisters in texas all have great rides. my next trips will be to motogp race in austin in april (group of 12 already bought tix). then either colorado or western dakotas.

decooney

...after riding an 1100, streetfighter and the fz8 i was happier with the 8...

calcrazy,
Not to put words in your mouth, but are you somehow implying the Ducati Monster 796 was not comparable enough for you, so you tried the Ducati 1100 Monster as a more even comparison to the FZ8?

Every time I started looking at the DM 796, others would frequently comment for me to make the jump to the 1100 Monster instead, and I did not want that. This is how I ended right back to the FZ8. I'm interested in your own comparison of the Ducati 796 Monster to the FZ8 now that I know you tried or seriously considered the DM 1100. I did not get a chance to really try either, and based my decision on as much as I could find online through both Yamaha and Ducati forums. I find it interesting how others came to the FZ8. I'm just bummed I did not consider the FZ8 sooner. Happy now, that's for sure.

C

calscrazy

the 796 feels underpowered compared to the fz8 so it was out to start. luckily for me both duc dealers near me will let you test ride. the twin torque is there but not enough for me to think about it seriously. plus it is great on the low end but the top end is very weak. so i rode the 1100 and really liked it but in the end couldnt justify the price and cost of ownership difference for a daily commuter/trip bike. the suspension and the brakes on the duc far exceed the fz8. remember though i have an 11 and i am sure the new ones with fully adjustable front have made up some ground. ergo wise the duc seemed a bit more aggressive but i wasn't to worried about that. in the end the 15k valve intervals, extra money, plastic swelling tanks couldnt justify purchasing that bike. i know the mystique of duc ownership because i have had them (monster and my old 900ss cr) but dont let it fool you. they are not the know all be all when it comes to bikes. there are other bikes that are as good if not better.