$9, 15 mins of work: Helmet holder

dre_2ooo

NOTE: This won't prevent anyone with a simple wire cutter (or ox-like strength) from stealing your helmet.

So, after owning a nice Suzuki SV650 before picking up my (nicer) new FZ8 last year, I was used to having an under-seat helmet hook. To my surprise, Yamaha didn't seem to want to encourage my habit of helmet-wearing :scratch:

So after a year of carrying my helmet or leaving it unsecured hanging on my handles, I noticed four threaded holes under the pass seat that had no use. I went to the Home Depot and made my own contraption.

Needed:
A M8x1.25 20mm long bolt
A picture-hanging hook (for hanging framed paintings)
A cable (the helpful staff at HD actually crimped the "eyelet ends" of this wire for me in the store!)
A Drill and 9 or 10mm bit
A carabiner or similar

Basically, I drilled one hole of the picture hanger to accommodate the girth of the bolt. The rest is self evident in the pics. It works wonderfully, doesn't interfere with anything, is convenient, and was super easy to make/install.

decooney

Those four threaded holes under the rear pillion seat are for optional passenger grab handles, requires you cut the rear tail bodywork to fit them. They are listed as an accessory grab handles for an FZ8 on the yamasite.

A few friends have been using a simple $7 smith and wesson gun lock cable from Walmart, running it through the loop strap and through the handlebars as another easy option. I did see an helmet lock option for an FZ1 someone added to the back peg area on an FZ8 but can't find the photo.

Tango59

Great idea. I use a bicycle cable lock under the handlebar and between the clamps. Run the cable up one sleeve of my jacket and around the chin bar of my helmet. So I don't have to carry them around. So far the worst that's happened is some turd poured beer in my helmet once.

9 Lives

Great idea. I use a bicycle cable lock under the handlebar and between the clamps. Run the cable up one sleeve of my jacket and around the chin bar of my helmet. So I don't have to carry them around. So far the worst that's happened is some turd poured beer in my helmet once.

At least it was just beer !!!!!

dre_2ooo

Thanks guys! My main objective was to not have to have a second lock or key. It's nice to just use the bike key for this. :)

Rotaryknight

That's a nice idea. I was going to do the same thing but I bought this instead
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SMPEL4?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links"]Amazon.com: Kryptonite 998600 Black 2.6mm R4 Retractor Combination Lock Cable with LED light: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I got this so i can also lock my jacket. I lock them to the handle bar and sit my helmet on the mirrors

Landin

Got this one, about $3 and you can lock alot of thinks on to your bike, works perfect! The wire is about 80 cm long.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I'd lock it through the actual frame of the helmet. I know everyone says that locking it through the D-rings is enough since thieves would have to cut the strap rendering the helmet useless, but they very well just might do that thinking they could resew a strap (possibly killing themselves in an accident), or cut it just for kicks to piss you off. In both scenarios you lose your $500+ helmet.