Forks, Brakelines, and Clip Ons!!!

Lee_533

Ok guys, Here's the pictures from my swap done today.

First some shots of the stock front end (We all know what that looks like)

Now time to remove the headlight assembly and brake lines.

Then Remove the forks, front tire, and handle bar.

New Forks installed.

And last but not least, Apex clip ons and gold stainless steel brake lines which means a finished product.

Just a quick note for people thinking of doing the Apex clipons. You will have to trim the fairings around the headlight. It's fine as long as you are willing to take the chance.
Not something you want to see when working on a bike but the end results were awesome.

Swapping the forks literally only took a little over an hour. The part that took the longest was fitting the clip ons, trimming the headlight fairings, and changing the brakelines. I love the new stance on the bike, very aggressive, and I LOVE the look. If anyone has some questions let me know, I'll try to help the best I can. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Lee_533

Looks great and my only question is how does it feel on the street with the clip ons, compared to to the stock set up

It feels more like an R1 to me but easier to throw around. The bike having a higher center of gravity makes turning easy to start with, and after adding the clipons, my body is more centered over the engine of the bike so I have almost no pressure on the bars when turning, just shift my upper body and the bike follows. I love the new feel. I have it set pretty much as aggressive as it gets. The nice thing is that if I felt like doing more of relaxed ride, I can just rise the bars and turn them in a bit. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the fact the Apex Clipons cracked a bit during installation. Nothing that's going to hurt the integrity of the bars but I'm calling them anyways. It shouldn't be an issue as Apex is a good brand and should send me a replacement part. If you ride hard I would recommend doing this swap as it makes controlling the bike much easier and gives you a better stance for aggressive riding.

W

WARPTH

Looks awesome. Love it. Do they hit the tank? Or give you enough room to cut a u turn?

Lee_533

Warpth: They do hit the tank on mine but just barely, I set them so I can still lock the steering. I can change them so they don't but I was going for the most aggressive stance possible, and I also never turn the forks that much unless it's to lock the steering anyways.

Camo: I had to trim of just a bit. I had to cut them so the clutch cable and brake reservoir would fit. I also cut off about 3/4 of an inch off the ends to shorten them up a bit so it's easier to split traffic. I can take some pictures of the modified fairings if you want. It was actually very easy to do if you have a grinder. It's a little unnerving taking a grinder to the fairings but you can't even tell I modified anything. You just have to take your time and be careful.

ramrod

Very nice man, looks good. I had my reservations when you mentioned that you were getting the clip ons, but after seeing the install pics I have to say they look very nice.

Since you did the rear sets as well how aggressive is it now? Congrats again thanks for taking the chance for the rest of us.

Lee_533

Very nice man, looks good. I had my reservations when you mentioned that you were getting the clip ons, but after seeing the install pics I have to say they look very nice.

Since you did the rear sets as well how aggressive is it now? Congrats again thanks for taking the chance for the rest of us.

It's very aggressive. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you just ride around town or go for long rides. I have my rearsets set high and far back and my bars set as aggressive as possible so I can be in the best position for track and aggressive riding. Turning is a cinch now.

Lee_533

How much of the housing did you have to trim off mate?

Here you go Camo. Hope you can see the trimmed sections. Most of the parts I had to trim were on the back and you can't see them anyways. Basically I just had to trim where the fairing hit the base of the clipons. If I set the rise on the clipons all the way up, I wouldn't have had to cut so much of the housing.

C

Camo

Thanks for all the pics and info mate, bet the next track days going to be sick! Have fun with it :)

D

Deleted member 438

Hey lee_533, thanks for being the guinea pig for the clip ons. Do we still have to trim the headlight trim if we were to have the clip ons higher than the trim piece?

B

bren

Fucking awesome mate!! I'm super pumped for when mine turn up now!! Hopefully this week!

Got the dan moto rearsets on and love the look. Haven't gotten to ride her though due to rain..

Lee_533

Hey lee_533, thanks for being the guinea pig for the clip ons. Do we still have to trim the headlight trim if we were to have the clip ons higher than the trim piece?

You will still have to trim a bit, but if you use the entire bar for a wider stance and rise them up, I don't think it will be much. You might even get away with just using a file. I can't wait to go on a nice hard ride or for a track day, the body positioning is awesome. The Apex clipons are fully adjustable, so you can adjust rise and both angles (bar angle down and bar swing)

W

WARPTH

Fucking awesome mate!! I'm super pumped for when mine turn up now!! Hopefully this week!

Got the dan moto rearsets on and love the look. Haven't gotten to ride her though due to rain..

I thought you were in sydney not brisbane?