you when your wife/gf/bf/significant other asks you that question....

hypo

everyone has a button to push. some people have LOTS of buttons, and sometimes you push them to tease, sometimes to start a fight or whatever.

After I lost my FZ8 in February, I was kinda bummed, but also excited. I had full replacement policy on my insurance so I could go out and get a new FZ8 with no worries at all plus they paid for all my ruined gear ... so I went shopping (read LIMPING) for new bikes. looked at the Z1000 from kawasaki again, checked out both the 11 and 12 FZ8's... but couldn't find a good deal. they were still charging full prices for the 11's even though the 12 was sitting right there. plus the 12 color scheme was going to take some time to grow on me ... and I was gonna end up spending another $3000 in farkles to get my FZ8 back to the way I liked it.... so I started looking for used thinking I'd find one of my dream bikes (like a '99 VFR800) for cheap. which I did.

So we went riding this weekend, did some long sweepers, dodged traffic on the highways, some short twisties but nothing too extensive as my body is still recovering. When we got home my wife asked me:

"so if you hadn't bought this bike, what would you have bought?" and since we had stopped at a few motorcycle shops (cuz she's looking to upgrade her 500 ninja) I paused to make sure it wasn't a baiting question or leading up to something crazy... and I said " most definitely the FZ8"

she said "WHAT!!!????" she shook her head in wonder as to why I got a 13 year old bike and of course she added up all the expenses I have put into it so far and tried to compare it to buying a brand new top of the line FZ8.

insurance is less.
twisties are just as fun.
had to rent a truck to get it here.
and I DO NOT HAVE A PAYMENT.

:)

but I still feel the FZ8 is probably at the top of my list of favorite bikes.

ya know?

just had to get that off my chest.

ramrod

I feel ya Hypo, I just recently sold my '02 Honda 919 and not more than two days went by before I picked up the '12 FZ8. While I was cruising Craigslist I was this close on purchasing an '03 RC-51, which I've been lusting over for the longest... not that year but it's still an RC-51.

I am glad I picked up the bike since I've never had a new bike before, all previous bikes were used. I did plenty of research on the FZ8 and fell in love with the styling when I saw it in person, but I've always wanted that RC-51... only thing that stopped me was thinking that the bikes now a days are probably more advance. *sigh*

D

DJK1505

After riding my 8 for over 9K miles I have absolutely no regrets for purchasing it new. I know I will run the wheels off this bike. For my everyday commuting, and weekend bike this is the best bike I have ever rode. I now have 6 other bikes in the garage, everything from a 650 V-star, XR650 enduro, Kawi ZR7 (
very similar to the FZ8), a TL1000, etc. Each of these bikes has a specific purpose, but the 8 is flat out the best all around bike I have ever owned. I am looking to pick up another one this winter just to store in the garage so when my 11 is wore out and time for a rebuild all I have to do is swap my mods and im back up. Then go to town on a rebuild. Anyways as far as this bike goes, I am glad I bought it brand new, first vehicle I have ever purchased new!

DJ

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Hahaha. "paused to make sure it wasn't a baiting question" I know exactly what you mean!

I had owned an 03 954RR, and, too, lusted after the RC-51. But, the FZ8 is definitely a great overall bike (though I don't have nearly as many miles on an FZ8 to have as credible of an opinion). Trying to convince my father to get one. :)