Yamaha Y.E.S extended service contract

Coolslice

I have a stupid question that I'm just too lazy to find out for myself. I'm hoping maybe someone here knows the answer.

I bought a 4 year extended service contract from Yamaha. I just received the packet containing the details, over 30 days after the purchase, which is another story, but anyways... In a nutshell, I noticed that it basically says you must have the dealership document everything that is done to the bike in terms of maintenance, for Yamaha's reference if they are to do any warranty work. They even send you this little card that the dealership must sign off on every time the bike is serviced. They expressly say that they have the option to deny warranty claims if proper documentation is not kept to their standards.

My question is this... Is my warranty affected by the fact that I will be changing my own oil and have no plans to take the bike to the dealership except for major maintenance things like valve adjustments, ect... I don't want to take my bike in in 3 years if the motor blows only to have my warranty denied because I did my own basic maintenance.

If that is a possibility, I can get a full refund on my extended warranty (within 30 days), which brings me to the point about conveniently NOT receiving my warranty paper work until AFTER 30 days after the purchase. It appears that it was purposefully mailed after the 30 day period.

Should I keep the warranty and just cross my fingers that Yamaha doesn't void my warranty over a technicality, OR should I just get a refund for the warranty since there is a chance that they could void it and I likely won't need it anyway?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sschwar4

My experience has been that the yes is an extension to the 1 year warranty. If you do the maintenance, you need to be able to provide proof of when it was done, ie receipts and such. Even if you took it to the dealership,you still need to save the receipts. You must stick to the published schedule for everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Coolslice

My experience has been that the yes is an extension to the 1 year warranty. If you do the maintenance, you need to be able to provide proof of when it was done, ie receipts and such. Even if you took it to the dealership,you still need to save the receipts. You must stick to the published schedule for everything.

I have several quarts of Yamalube left over from years ago when I had my R1. I don't have any receipts for that still, but I'm not gonna go buy more just to prove I changed the oil. Then there's the possibility I might use another oil that isn't Yamalube.

I guess the chances are that I won't need it, and if I do, hopefully Yamaha isn't going to be a pain.

H

Hoover

It is illegal for a manufacturer to void a warranty if you serviced your vehicle yourself or had it done by a non dealer shop.
You do need to keep records. In the back of your owners manual there is space for you to document oil changes. That and receipts are enough.
This law dates back to the 60's when GM was sued for this very thing.
On the topic of extended warranties, I for one will not buy an extended warranty for anything; from a toaster to a car. Data shows only a tiny percentage of ext warr. are ever used.

Coolslice

It is illegal for a manufacturer to void a warranty if you serviced your vehicle yourself or had it done by a non dealer shop.
You do need to keep records. In the back of your owners manual there is space for you to document oil changes. That and receipts are enough.
On the topic of extended warranties, I for one will not buy an extended warranty for anything; from a toaster to a car. Data shows only a tiny percentage of ext warr. are ever used.

Yep, the magnuson-moss warranty act. IMO, that doesn't necessarily make it illegal to void a warranty, they just have to prove that something the owner did lead to the the failure. It just simply puts EVERYTHING into legal terms and will most likely come down to semantics beyond that.

In a legal battle, I'm not sure many of us have the financial means to fight Yamaha. Of course, this would be an unlikely, worst case scenario.

Sschwar4

I have several quarts of Yamalube left over from years ago when I had my R1. I don't have any receipts for that still, but I'm not gonna go buy more just to prove I changed the oil. Then there's the possibility I might use another oil that isn't Yamalube.

I guess the chances are that I won't need it, and if I do, hopefully Yamaha isn't going to be a pain.

There is nothing said about having to use use a specific manufacture of oil. Just has to mee the specs in owner manual.

C

calscrazy

+1

i work at an auto dealership and can tell you the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer. crossed this bridge alot of times. the key comes down to how long and how much money are you willing to spend to fight it.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
+1

i work at an auto dealership and can tell you the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer. crossed this bridge alot of times. the key comes down to how long and how much money are you willing to spend to fight it.

*ding ding ding, YUP. I had a Ford specific performance shop for a while and we dealt with this all the time. As long as you have records of service from a shop with a business license to operate as a motor vehicle repair facility that is all that matters.

In order to not honor your service contract they must prove either negligence or incompetence. Good luck with either.

FZER

Avid Rider

oil from Several Years ago? Don't use that stuff.

Coolslice

oil from Several Years ago? Don't use that stuff.

I think it would be ok to use still, but I'm going to use a better oil anyway. I bought a gallon of Rotella T6, but I'm still not positive if I want to use that in my bike as opposed to going with something else, like Motul, or even Mobil 1.

It did cross my mind to use my old yamalube at my 600 mile oil change, and then dump it at around 1000-1200 miles before switching to synthetic.

DLSGAP

I think it would be ok to use still, but I'm going to use a better oil anyway. I bought a gallon of Rotella T6, but I'm still not positive if I want to use that in my bike as opposed to going with something else, like Motul, or even Mobil 1.

It did cross my mind to use my old yamalube at my 600 mile oil change, and then dump it at around 1000-1200 miles before switching to synthetic.

I've used the Rotella t6 in 4 Kawasaki motors and had better experiences with it than mobile1. Every one of them shifted like crap with the mobile. So far the Yamaha likes the t6.... and its $50 cheaper per gallon than the only other oil I like. I've got friends that have used the rotella in their ducatis, triumphs, mv agustas, BMW's, etc... and swear by it.

MojoRisin

I've used the Rotella t6 in 4 Kawasaki motors and had better experiences with it than mobile1. Every one of them shifted like crap with the mobile. So far the Yamaha likes the t6.... and its $50 cheaper per gallon than the only other oil I like. I've got friends that have used the rotella in their ducatis, triumphs, mv agustas, BMW's, etc... and swear by it.

:eek: I haven't bought oil in a while, please tell me that is a typo.