Which FZ for a noob?

Buck P.

So...is there a difference between the 11/12 and the 13 or no? For those that got an 11 or 12, was the ecu upgrades expensive and did you find it a noticeable and/or necessary improvement?

Umyaya

So...is there a difference between the 11/12 and the 13 or no? For those that got an 11 or 12, was the ecu upgrades expensive and did you find it a noticeable and/or necessary improvement?

I'm guilty of this as well... but I've been told to just ride the damn bike how it is lol! The bike doesn't make the rider... I have to quit adding stuff to mine and just ride the dang thing!

Bajaedition

I'm guilty of this as well... but I've been told to just ride the damn bike how it is lol! The bike doesn't make the rider... I have to quit adding stuff to mine and just ride the dang thing!

I did a few changes to mine
I did the tail end cleanup'
then I resprung the rear shock, it did need it
after that I adjusted the preload front and rear to factory specks, and it runs great. It handles great. I live 5 miles from Chuckwalla Valley Raceway and take it to track days, the bike does great, it handles great. I really think that it is the UJM we have screamed for years to be released. Problem is no one really wants a all around bike, they want a bike that makes them a SUPERSTAR. Well that is a pipe dream, bring any of those fixed up bikes to my raceway and we can run side by side. Infact I will run side by side with my Sportster. That is always fun.
I love the 8, been asking for years for someone to turn out a bike this good. In the 70s and 80s we had UJMs and suddenly everyone wanted a specialty bike. It is good to see we have one back, well until they discontinued it in the USA that was. LOL:D

persek75

Fz07 way too slow... Fz09 kinda weird all digital instrument cluster.... Key in the wrong place.... But plenty of power and fun

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Buck P.

Ha! I will definitely remove the crazy tail/plate holder thing. The government should allow them to clean that up from the get-go rather than having everyone pay to do it anyways.

persek75

I rode a Suzuki gsxr600 for a first bike. Learned lots as far as respect... Now want to go bigger but more " traditional" love the 779 CCS and honestly can't wait to tame the extra hps

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

NoNine4me

Ha! I will definitely remove the crazy tail/plate holder thing. The government should allow them to clean that up from the get-go rather than having everyone pay to do it anyways.
Wait till you ride in a rainstorm and your back is soaked from the spray! The little tail/plate holder actually does something.

Umyaya

Hi all, I am new and want to buy a bike soon. That said I'd like opinions from people that actually ride this bike before I put down cash. I personally like the look of the fz8 best; the next best look would be fz-07 and last the fz-09. I have not had a chance to see the 07 in person, but the fz8 and fz-09 were fine when I sat on them. The fz-09 was actually a bit thinner and lighter and thus I was more able to maneuver a little better while sitting with the engine off. My concern with that bike(FZ-09) although I could be wrong is that it may be a bit much for a new rider--although I have seen many arguments both ways about that.

Here is a little info about me just in case it matters:
I'm 36. I do not have any interest in racing street or track. Not planning to become a hooligan, but you guys would know better if that is likely to change once I start riding. I do plan to commute to work and there is about a 20 mile stretch of hwy to cover along with smaller curvy fun road to explore for smiles. I am 5'6'', about 175lbs. I would want to ride with someone for quick easy short distance travel down the road--not sure if that matters between these bikes but perhaps the lighter bike may not be best suited for this. I prefer naked, besides the fz's I considered the Honda cb500f--another naked.

I think at minimum I would go with the 07 instead of the Honda, but I admit I like the fz8 most of the three. There are a few fz8 listed at deep discount and I'd like to know if I should even consider it given the other options. Assume I can get one at $6000 or less, plus TTL. Would weight, power, character, money, my lack of experience, or anything else you guys and gals can think of lead you to say go with one of the others? Please go into details if you can. Thanks for reading and hopefully responding and discussing.

You buy a bike yet?

Buck P.

Sorry for the delay, No I have not yet bought it yet--although I wasn't expecting to just yet. From the discussion I feel better about choosing the 8 if I can get one for the price mentioned in the initial post. there was one listed for that amount before, but that one was sold. Another dealer nearby has one but is asking more than is reasonable for it ($7200 before the other charges). I've seen multiple listings well below that--also new. As much as I like the bike, I don't want to get reamed for one. I also have plans to use financing to help build my credit and have a few hurdles to jump to get a good deal on that end. If those numbers work out (I've been making positive steps to this point) I feel I have a better chance of going to the dealer and negotiating a more reasonable price with cash in hand. I hope to know if I can move in this direction in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for asking, I will let all of you know how it turns out including pics once it's all said and done.

egbert

I'm looking to upgrade to the FZ8. I've been riding a CBR250R for 3 months and have put 1K on the bike already. I really do enjoy it, but the lack of power became aggravating within the first 10 days of riding. The FZ8 seems to "tick all the boxes" as it were. Inline 4, naked, standard seating position, good usable power, and lastly, cheap. Looks like they're being discounted out pretty hard. I don't consider myself even an intermediate rider at this point, but I feel like the 250 did create a good template to build from and I'm ready to move on. I'm 41, about 6' 215lbs. I don't consider myself reckless by any means (certainly know the downside of that as I am a 911 dispatcher), and definitely plan on respecting the 70-80 odd hp increase. Just want to keep progressing, having fun, and staying safe. My next goal is to reach 12K total miles so I can sign up for the Team Oregon Advanced Rider Safety class, which focuses mostly on cornering/line selection. Definitely a bike I'm looking to grow and have fun with over the next 5 years, or more. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Glad to meet your acquaintance.

b-eock

Dude, its great. You'll love it. Its comfortable. It handles great. It runs amazing. And has plenty of power to get your adrenaline rushing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Umyaya

It doesn't make sense to me to buy a brand new fz7 or a new bike in general....buddy of mine bought a brand new bike for 8k. With 8k I could buy 3 used motorcycles for 3 different styles of riding. If it is your first bike chances are you will drop it. Get a fz6. I would.

Darren

Find a used FZ6 from 2007-2009. They are cheap and very easy to ride and parts are plentiful. I owned an 07 and an 09, great bikes before I upgraded to my FZ8.

egbert

I don't know about the originator of this thread, but I picked mine up yesterday. It was discounted to $5999. I rode my Honda CBR250R from Klamath Falls to the Salem area, which was about 240 miles. A pretty drive and the first one I've taken over 65 miles, which was the longest previous ride I've done. It kind of sucked on the CBR, really buzzy over 60mph and the suspension isn't that good. The FZ8 was pretty imposing when I went up to look at it. The tank was literally twice the size of the 250. I started getting a queasy feeling that maybe I made a mistake. Once I got on it, it actually felt smaller and lighter than it looked, which was kind of weird. I rode around the parking lot at the dealership for a little bit, surprisingly not stalling it at all. I instantly felt a lot more confident. I could feel the power, but I think riding that 250 for the last 3 months really taught me something about throttle control. I left the dealership and rode 30 odd miles to a friend's place in Albany. Took off this morning in the fog, logged my first I-5 miles, and made it home in one piece. Put right about 250 miles on it, and actually got up to 72 mph for 2 seconds for the first time ever on a motorbike. All in all, bummed I lost money on my trade, but really stoked to have something that is so smooth and has all that power in reserve, once I become more seasoned as a rider. Also stoked that my monthly bike payment + insurance only increased $75 over the CBR250R. This motorcycle hobby is an expensive one.

Last edited:

jmsandy77

Sorry for the delay, No I have not yet bought it yet--although I wasn't expecting to just yet. From the discussion I feel better about choosing the 8 if I can get one for the price mentioned in the initial post. there was one listed for that amount before, but that one was sold. Another dealer nearby has one but is asking more than is reasonable for it ($7200 before the other charges). I've seen multiple listings well below that--also new. As much as I like the bike, I don't want to get reamed for one. I also have plans to use financing to help build my credit and have a few hurdles to jump to get a good deal on that end. If those numbers work out (I've been making positive steps to this point) I feel I have a better chance of going to the dealer and negotiating a more reasonable price with cash in hand. I hope to know if I can move in this direction in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for asking, I will let all of you know how it turns out including pics once it's all said and done.

Best all around new bike you (for your circumstances) can buy in my opinion is the 2014 Honda CTX700N. MSRP is only $7k and it will do anything and get over 60 MPG while doing it. The reviews are fantastic and with optional accessories can easily be turned into a tourer. Not to mention Honda reliability and resale. With the torque numbers matching horsepower it should be plenty powerful. Insurance will be dirt cheap too.

J

jer

I'm looking to upgrade to the FZ8. I've been riding a CBR250R for 3 months and have put 1K on the bike already. I really do enjoy it, but the lack of power became aggravating within the first 10 days of riding. The FZ8 seems to "tick all the boxes" as it were. Inline 4, naked, standard seating position, good usable power, and lastly, cheap. Looks like they're being discounted out pretty hard. I don't consider myself even an intermediate rider at this point, but I feel like the 250 did create a good template to build from and I'm ready to move on. I'm 41, about 6' 215lbs. I don't consider myself reckless by any means (certainly know the downside of that as I am a 911 dispatcher), and definitely plan on respecting the 70-80 odd hp increase. Just want to keep progressing, having fun, and staying safe. My next goal is to reach 12K total miles so I can sign up for the Team Oregon Advanced Rider Safety class, which focuses mostly on cornering/line selection. Definitely a bike I'm looking to grow and have fun with over the next 5 years, or more. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Glad to meet your acquaintance.

Hi...I am a new 2013 FZ8 owner as well, mine was also $5999 and I am also 41, similar size at 5'10" and around 215 lbs. I took the MSF course in August 2013 and then got a 2005 Ninja 500R for the next 13 months and 1200 miles or so, never going over 65 mph. Having had a close relative die in a motorcycle crash, I have taken safety very serious and want to be a good example for my sons if they ever decide to ride motorcycles, my 10 yr old has been riding with me for almost a year. Like you, I was disappointed in not getting enough money selling the first bike but it was such a good deal on the FZ8, I felt like it did make up for it. My insurance has tripled but at least I have a safer, more reliable bike and a warranty. I did stall the bike before I could move it but then rode for about a mile in the dealer lot and then had a 25 mile ride home with no issues. I'm still only at 49 miles on mine, lots of rain here lately in NJ. It's so much louder than the 500cc twin but much smoother too.

Fazer 8

I don't know about the originator of this thread, but I picked mine up yesterday. It was discounted to $5999. I rode my Honda CBR250R from Klamath Falls to the Salem area, which was about 240 miles. A pretty drive and the first one I've taken over 65 miles, which was the longest previous ride I've done. It kind of sucked on the CBR, really buzzy over 60mph and the suspension isn't that good. The FZ8 was pretty imposing when I went up to look at it. The tank was literally twice the size of the 250. I started getting a queasy feeling that maybe I made a mistake. Once I got on it, it actually felt smaller and lighter than it looked, which was kind of weird. I rode around the parking lot at the dealership for a little bit, surprisingly not stalling it at all. I instantly felt a lot more confident. I could feel the power, but I think riding that 250 for the last 3 months really taught me something about throttle control. I left the dealership and rode 30 odd miles to a friend's place in Albany. Took off this morning in the fog, logged my first I-5 miles, and made it home in one piece. Put right about 250 miles on it, and actually got up to 72 mph for 2 seconds for the first time ever on a motorbike. All in all, bummed I lost money on my trade, but really stoked to have something that is so smooth and has all that power in reserve, once I become more seasoned as a rider. Also stoked that my monthly bike payment + insurance only increased $75 over the CBR250R. This motorcycle hobby is an expensive one.

Ideally (IMO) one would probably spend a little more than 3 months on a smaller bike before moving up to something this fast, but it's a good start. As you say, you have to take advantage of good deal when it comes along. Man, I thought my Fazer 8 at about CDN$8,300 was a smoking deal, but $6000 for a FZ8? Nice. Congrats, and enjoy. Just be careful with the throttle hand when leaned over, because this thing has way more torque and power at all rpms than a CBR250 (well, duh) and can break traction at the rear wheel a lot more easily. I haven't found it to be a problem, though - this bike's power delivery is smooth and refined that you'd really have to be ham-fisted to do that.

egbert

Ideally (IMO) one would probably spend a little more than 3 months on a smaller bike before moving up to something this fast, but it's a good start. As you say, you have to take advantage of good deal when it comes along. Man, I thought my Fazer 8 at about CDN$8,300 was a smoking deal, but $6000 for a FZ8? Nice. Congrats, and enjoy. Just be careful with the throttle hand when leaned over, because this thing has way more torque and power at all rpms than a CBR250 (well, duh) and can break traction at the rear wheel a lot more easily. I haven't found it to be a problem, though - this bike's power delivery is smooth and refined that you'd really have to be ham-fisted to do that.

I hear that. I probably have close to 400 miles on it now. Still riding very respectful, in terms of the power this beast possesses. Staying smooth on the throttle and messing around with smooth accelerating passes in traffic. The other night coming home from my shift, I was going around a corner and the tarmac dropped out mid curve into dirt. Apparently the city street department tore that section of road up that day and failed to post any signage. I wasn't accelerating hard through the corner, but did have a constant slowly accelerating throttle going. The back end dipped out a bit, but came right back when I eased off. I was happy I didn't dump it, and was surprised my heart didn't jump into my throat. So far, I'm really hyped on this machine. Much respect to it.