What do you plan to own next?

Gem rod

With the Fazer family now discontinued from the Yamaha UK line up (and presumably US too), I wondered what kind of bike people may be thinking of owning next?

How good for example is the new MT-09? The three cylinder 900cc crossover type concept differs from the classic Fazer all rounder and with the latter being removed from the line up, are there any genuine all rounders made by other manufacturers? How about the new VFR800? How about something more radical like the Tuono V4? Does the Kawasaki Z800 hit the spot?

What do people think?

Blackfin

I like the semi-faired nature of my Fazer 8 but there doesn't seem to be many like it out there right now. Mostly purely nakeds or SS/fully faired bikes. I do like the look of the BMW S1000R and the Tuono V4.

My current plan is to keep the Fazer for a long while yet. :)

npeifer2308

KTM 1290 Super Duke is hopefully going to be my next bike. It wont be for a while so who knows I may change my mind but to me, that is one sexy bike.

Blackfin

next bike would be a SS for me , S1000RR hp4, R1M, RSV4

but i would keep my fazer800

I love the look and performance of those bikes but at 48 years of age, the ergos are just too evil on those things for my neck & back. They'd be fun to have for really short stints but for the sort of riding I do, a more upright sport tourer would be a better choice for me.

Besides, I shudder to think how much shit I'd get into on the street & highway with 200HP on tap... :)

Gem rod

Yes it's a tricky one. Never has there been so much choice, yet with most modern machines I see drawbacks. The MT-09 seems good value, and boasts an extra few horses compared to the FZ8, but is it such a good all rounder? The VFR800 seems a little too sedate to me, It should have been designed with 120 hp then it would be more exciting. I could see that bike being difficult to sell privately.

The Tuona with 150 hp + maybe is a little too much. My money may well go on the Triumph Speed Triple 1050cc. It looks simple, no fancy gizmos and has 133 hp. Looks like a good reliable option.

The Z800 looks interesting. Even the GSR750 may be worth a look. Generally I find the Italian machines too expensive particularly once you have added the cost of a top box and rack which I find usefull.

My final thought would be the Suzuki DL1000 which is designed for hand guards and luggage but only boasts 90 hp, The Multistrada which has more power is far too expensive and complicated for me. Finding a compromise between power, cost and complexity is not easy.

Fazer 8

I had an '02 DL1000 V-Strom before I got my Fazer. The new ones are no faster. The good part was that there was pretty much always sufficient thrust available at any reasonable engine speed from 4000 rpm up, whereas the FZ8/Fazer has a flattish spot from 5000-6000 rpm, and is not as strong in the midrange generally (giving up 200cc in displacement will do that). And it was quite a bit more comfortable than my Fazer, even the stock seat which is like a comfy chair compared to the torture pad that Yamaha put on the FZ (IMO).

The downside was the sloppier handling that came with a larger, slightly heavier, taller, longer suspended bike. Just not as nimble in the tight twisties.

So I've done the V-Strom thing and probably won't go back right away. I'd be interested in the FJ-09, but apparently it suffers from the same bargain front suspension as the FZ-09. Front suspension is expensive and/or labour-intensive to fix.

The Ducati Multistrada would probably also interest me. I don't really need that kind of peak power, but undoubtedly it also has gobs of midrange. And better suspension and handing overall compared to the V-Strom.

Anything with a more aggressive riding position, or less wind protection than my Fazer 8 is out of the question, for me. I'm actually thinking about getting the big Givi screen for my Fazer.

The biggest shortcoming of the Fazer for me is long-distance comfort. The seat, even the Shad seat I got for it, just doesn't cut it. The tighter seat-peg distance doesn't help, either. But the question is, what can I go to that is more comfortable, but also handles as well and is just as exciting to ride? Probably I just want the impossible - big sport-touring (or Goldwing) bike comfort on the straights, but sport bike handling in the twisties. Oh, and also not too huge so as not to take up too much space in my garage.

More performance? I really don't need it - riding the Fazer hard is already putting my license is serious jeopardy.

mikeherdes

I'm looking at buying a new FJ-09, but if I can wait until next year I'm sure I can find a demo or a used one for quite a bit less than the current MSRP.

Gem rod

I just checked the UK line up and the FJ-09 is not offered.

The MT-09 seems highly rated in the youtube reviews and is touted as the most exciting bike to emerge from the Yamaha designers for years.

It has one flaw according to test riders: a snatchy throttle. I had the same thing on my 2009 CBF600. The engine would judder when throttling off and slowing down so you had to keep the throttle very slightly open or even pull in the clutch when coasting down.

It was a real pain and I have no wish to go back to a problem that with a little care and attention should not have been there in the first place.

Shame really because it is cheap, powerful and stylish.

Edit to add:

Looks like aftermarket ECU flash is available to fix the problem:

Ivan's Performance Products

Last edited:

Gem rod

I had an '02 DL1000 V-Strom before I got my Fazer. The new ones are no faster. The good part was that there was pretty much always sufficient thrust available at any reasonable engine speed from 4000 rpm up, whereas the FZ8/Fazer has a flattish spot from 5000-6000 rpm, and is not as strong in the midrange generally (giving up 200cc in displacement will do that). And it was quite a bit more comfortable than my Fazer, even the stock seat which is like a comfy chair compared to the torture pad that Yamaha put on the FZ (IMO).

The downside was the sloppier handling that came with a larger, slightly heavier, taller, longer suspended bike. Just not as nimble in the tight twisties.

So I've done the V-Strom thing and probably won't go back right away. I'd be interested in the FJ-09, but apparently it suffers from the same bargain front suspension as the FZ-09. Front suspension is expensive and/or labour-intensive to fix.

The Ducati Multistrada would probably also interest me. I don't really need that kind of peak power, but undoubtedly it also has gobs of midrange. And better suspension and handing overall compared to the V-Strom.

Anything with a more aggressive riding position, or less wind protection than my Fazer 8 is out of the question, for me. I'm actually thinking about getting the big Givi screen for my Fazer.

The biggest shortcoming of the Fazer for me is long-distance comfort. The seat, even the Shad seat I got for it, just doesn't cut it. The tighter seat-peg distance doesn't help, either. But the question is, what can I go to that is more comfortable, but also handles as well and is just as exciting to ride? Probably I just want the impossible - big sport-touring (or Goldwing) bike comfort on the straights, but sport bike handling in the twisties. Oh, and also not too huge so as not to take up too much space in my garage.

More performance? I really don't need it - riding the Fazer hard is already putting my license is serious jeopardy.

Agreed. When take the Fazer on a 150 -200 mile ride my knees really hurt. I have the taller screen and it works well. I also agree the Fazer has ample power in it's stock form. Well the good news is that there seems to be little else out there at the moment for the money and so my bank account will remain in good shape. The only real tempters as you say is the Multi Strada and the Tuono both of which cost an arm and a leg, and come packed with unnecessary electronics which undoubtedly will affect reliability.

Makes me wonder why they scrapped the Fazer line?

hlmiskelly

I am really excited about the recently shown XSR700 with its neo-retro look and its customization potential. The question is will I still be excited about the bike when - or should I say if - it finally hits the American shores.

TorontoAlex

Love the xsr700 exhaust i wish that had been on the fz8 or that someone made one.

Like fazer8 said my license is already in jeopardy lol. Would love the superduke 1290 or bimmer. Love any vtwin naked and sport bike the sound is great. But really im good with the fz8. I did a 800km ride in one day and 2500 in 3.5 days and i was comfy.

Would love the 1290 super.....dont feel like losing my license though. I think i'm going to try the super tenere and get into the world of dual sport. Never letting go of the FZ8 of course just adding to the collection.

Bagman

In his post Fazer 8 hit the nail on the head for me.

I love the power and nimble handling of the FZ8 Fazer that I have, but wish it had better wind protection and a better seat for longer distances. I commute along the QEW for 50kms each way, and even in the middle of July going home at 4am has a chill in the air. I'd actually not mind going down to a 650 v-twin for better fuel economy! So, I'm curious about a 2015 Versys 650 or even a FJ-09, and then just modify either to get the best wind-protection and comfort possible. Possibly even upgrade suspension.

However, I have so many other things I'd rather spend money on.. so the FZ8 Fazer stays. lol.

Fazer 8

Bagman, we should get together some time.

I've just ordered the big Givi screen to put on my bike. For some reason I didn't think it was available in Canada so I ordered it from Italy on eBay, but I now see that it's available on Importations Thibault's catalog, at CDN$170, which is cheaper than what this one will cost me, with shipping included. Even more once I pay for customs brokerage and duties, if any (taxes are a given). I should have ordered it through my dealer, instead. If it's still available the price will probably be higher in next year's catalog, what with the recent drop in the $CDN.

My knees don't mind the tighter seating position too much, but I think it contributes to me seating discomfort - my knees are so high that I'm really bent tightly at the waist, which forces all my weight onto a small and forward area of my butt and "taint", if that's not too graphic, LOL. I'm looking at having my original stock seat re-done over the winter by one of the guys that does such things, since the Shad doesn't seem to have helped me very much.

Bagman

GP Bikes just called me to say my MRA Vario-Touring just cleared customs and I should have it by early next week. I am 5'7", 150lbs. Overall, I am quite content with the ergos of the bike for me. Certainly feels like an adult bike compared with my first bike - Ninja500r.

We should get together!

Gem rod

I love my FZ8S so unless I come into some unexpected cash I'll keep her. If I were to change, my final thoughts for now are as follows:

The Tuono looks beautiful. Sounds brilliant, is fast at 175 BHP, and so stylish I almost dream about owning one. The problems are cost, hot running, poor fuel consumption, poor horn and poor side stand. So unless they refine those problems I can't see myself going down that road.

The bike for me is the MT-09 Tracer (FJ-09 in US). Good value, fast, and now it has it's fueling problems sorted apparently. Accessories are available such as luggage, and tall screens, and it has hand guards. It is not over complicated either and so should be reliable.

That is the bike to have.:cool: