Thinking about an FJR1300

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Now that I am without a bike, I have been racking my brain on what to get next. As much as I loved my FZ8, I have decided to go with a sport touring bike that has fairings and a full windscreen. I want to be able to take longer trips more comfortably. Plus, my girlfriend hated riding on the FZ8 with me. I am looking in to getting a FJR1300. Here is the one I am looking at.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
19000 miles

Last edited:

Paralgin

Avid Rider
I have been thinking about the same thing. When I have finished my house and habe the money for it i would like to get a FJR of a newer model. So i can do some country to country trips. I have to say i dont like to ride my 8 from Norway to Spain. But if i can keep my 8 and buy a FJR I would be werry happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

n00b

Avid Rider
I've been thinking about the same. However I'm stuck with two big house payments until my old house sells. I might upgrade after that.

BigOleChalupa

:)

That's a sweet FJR, and only 8000 miles!!!! She's barely broken in, lol....;)
What are they asking for it?
Good luck
BIGO

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
That's a sweet FJR, and only 8000 miles!!!! She's barely broken in, lol....;)
What are they asking for it?
Good luck
BIGO

No longer going with the silver 04 FJR with 8000 miles. I am going with a 2005 FJR with 19000 miles for $5500. This Yamaha has ABS, a Corbin front seat, a Cee Bailey's large windshield, headlight guards, and new Michelin tires.

Last edited:

ssky0078

Well he is asking $6900, but I am going to offer $6000. With that low of miles, $6000 would be a decent price for that bike.

Well, I would go even lower. Average retail price is $5900 for that year and make right now. 2004 Yamaha FJR1300AS/C ABS Standard Equipment, 2004 Yamaha FJR1300AS/C ABS Price & Specs | NADAguides

Check the date stamp on the tires because those may need replacing and depending on how the bike was stored if they sat on concrete then I've heard that sucks the moisture out of the rubber and they need replacing. Plan on doing oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and brake lines because likely those are out of date.

I really don't feel bad if someone didn't use their bike and it has low miles. Stuff depreciates, that's called life in capitolism

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Well, I would go even lower. Average retail price is $5900 for that year and make right now. 2004 Yamaha FJR1300AS/C ABS Standard Equipment, 2004 Yamaha FJR1300AS/C ABS Price & Specs | NADAguides

Check the date stamp on the tires because those may need replacing and depending on how the bike was stored if they sat on concrete then I've heard that sucks the moisture out of the rubber and they need replacing. Plan on doing oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid and brake lines because likely those are out of date.

I really don't feel bad if someone didn't use their bike and it has low miles. Stuff depreciates, that's called life in capitolism

I hear you on the price. I talked to the guy on the phone and he said he just got the 8000 mile maintenance done and the tires are brand new Metzlers that he recently put about 100 miles on.

ssky0078

I hear you on the price. I talked to the guy on the phone and he said he just got the 8000 mile maintenance done and the tires are brand new Metzlers that he recently put about 100 miles on.

I'm not sure on the FJR but the 8,000 maintenance is just oil and filter I believe. Coolant and brake fluid go bad with time, can't use mileage as a measure. I got my 2009 Fz1 with 5,000 and new oil in it. However I changed the coolant because it was getting too warm/hot and the brake fluid because the window was so dark. Both came out pretty gross and degraded. Depending on the weather/climate it can speed up the degradation as well. Also the rubber brake lines are only supposed to be kept around for 3 or 4 years (can't remember), then they too begin to break down. I noticed a huge difference from the factory which were only 3 years old to the SS lines I put on.

Harrywz

Now that I am without a bike, I have been racking my brain on what to get next. As much as I loved my FZ8, I have decided to go with a sport touring bike that has fairings and a full windscreen. I want to be able to take longer trips more comfortably. Plus, my girlfriend hated riding on the FZ8 with me. I am looking in to getting a FJR1300. Here is the one I am looking at.

2004 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
8000 miles

I think your girlfriend will still hate riding on the FJR1300 as well. Girls like the comfort of a Harley with the big padded rear seat with the armrests where they can fall asleep ;)
Don't get me wrong about the FJR. I think its a great bike especially if you do a lot of long distance rides. Its very capable.

decooney

hutru01,

After returning from a longer trip with a few friends on our FZ8s, we were sure eyeballing any of the FJR1300s that passed us by on the longer stretches of roadways.

We all kept thinking, man...that is our next bike if we part with the FZ8s and start doing longer rides. I sat on one at the dealer after our trip and was expecting a nice plush seat. Seemed firm like I'd be hoping for the seat to break in or immediately looking for a replacement seat. Maybe a good worn in seat on a used bike would be okay...

If I could swing it, having the FZ8 for local riding and the FJR1300 for longer rides (with a soft seat) would be the ticket. Please stay in touch here on this forum and let us know how it goes if you buy the FJR1300 and what you like or dislike compared to your former FZ8. Good Luck.

ssky0078

You know I will have to say that I did not like the lower corner of the fairing, directly in front of the rear sets. I banged my shins a few times during the demo ride I took in the spring. I basically had to retrain myself to kick my legs out wide, not swing straight forward like I can on the Fz1. Easy work around but it also was painfully annoying.

Something to check out for yourself, I was on a 2013

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Update: I am going with a 2005 FJR w/ABS ,Corbin front seat, Cee Bailey's large windshield, headlight guards, and new Michelin tires. I am getting it for $5500. Much better deal.

FYI, the owner of the silver 04 FJR wouldn't go any lower than $6700, so I passed on that bike.

BigOleChalupa

Update: I am going with a 2005 FJR w/ABS ,Corbin front seat, Cee Bailey's large windshield, headlight guards, and new Michelin tires. I am getting it for $5500. Much better deal.

FYI, the owner of the silver 04 FJR wouldn't go any lower than $6700, so I passed on that bike.
Congrats!!!!:D

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I think your girlfriend will still hate riding on the FJR1300 as well. Girls like the comfort of a Harley with the big padded rear seat with the armrests where they can fall asleep ;)
Don't get me wrong about the FJR. I think its a great bike especially if you do a lot of long distance rides. Its very capable.

Well, the FJR that I am going to buy has a corbin seat and I will be adding one of these backrests specifically for her when she rides with me.

decooney

That should be a nice setup. Will be interested in hearing how it goes after your first ride and what you think moving to the FJR1300.

Tango59

I may have to go the route before too long.... Getting rid of the wife now (she hates riding) so I'll need room for a GF or two.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
That should be a nice setup. Will be interested in hearing how it goes after your first ride and what you think moving to the FJR1300.

Well, she is home. This bike is big, but I like it a lot. The power is more linear, the ride is so comfortable and it still handles very well. It is quite fast as well.