Strange turn signal behavior

Bulldog357

My Bike is a 2011 with 30k. I just bought it a few weeks ago. It needs a few minor things but is 100% operational. As I sort it out, I find the turn signals are non-oem incandescents with single filament 23w 1156 bulbs, and all 4 are connected to the turn signal leads, with the front running light leads left empty. It has what I believe is the stock Denso 2-wire incandescent flasher. Here's the scenario: Turn on the key and all four blinker lights come on as running lights. Turning on a turn signal flashes the blinkers in a kind of haphazard way (like 2 fast, 1 slow, three fast. one slow non steady rhythm) with the rears being a fair amount brighter than the fronts when they flash. If I remove the flasher, they all stay on as running lights, and the turn signal switch does nothing. I have scoured the bike from front to rear and I can't find any blinker genies or anything else wired in that might be somehow tying the blinker circuit to the running light circuit. Is there some other way to do this besides the blinker genie route? Where else can I look for some kind of centrally located wiring hack? I wouldn't care about it, but the fronts are just too dim when they blink, which is the reason I investigated this to begin with..

rotat

Hey Bulldog. What you are describing can be a symptom of LED turn signals hooked up to a OEM flasher relay. " If you replace incandescent (regular) bulbs with LED Bulbs, you may notice one of two malfunctions: Either the lights will not flash at all, or they will flash fast/eratically, the latter is known as Hyperflashing.". You 100% none of the bulbs are LED?

Bulldog357

Yeah I'm sure. They're all incandescent. And it's the stock flasher. That's what's confusing. In stock form, the bike has dual filament bulbs in the front. The current bulbs are plain ol' 1156's with one filament and the sockets have one connector, yet with the running light wires up front not connected to anything, all four signals light up as running lights. They blink erratically when used as blinkers as described in my first post.

Adam779

Have you tried installing 1157s up front? If the front signal units are the original ones, there could be some strange stuff going on with the way power goes to ground with the wrong bulbs in there.