Squid question. Bare with me!

Umyaya

Okay. I realize the risks and stupidity of this question. I've seen it talked about before but what is the real fz8 top speed. Let's be honest and leave the ego at the door . No keyboard warriors!

I have a speedohealer installed and -1 +1 gearing. I feel I could go a legit 130 if I tucked....I am curious with stock gearing.

Bagman

It's not a stupid question - it's just one that you haven't thought through. Why you asking? Why does it matter to you? Just sayin', but are you not a keyboard warrior yourself suggesting you could go a legit 130mph tucked without trying. As you know, changing the sprockets will change top-end, and getting the SpeedoHealer at leasts gives you an accurate reading..

.. so go out there, find your top speed and post it up.

My opinion of the bike's top-speed is that stock (or otherwise) it's more than quick enough to kill ya or land you in a ton of trouble. For the Squid Racer in us all, it's also not quick enough to beat any car that would give the bike a run for it's money when you're going that speed anyways. Meaning, trying to out-run a car on the highway north of 200kph.

dtbrown

Okay. I realize the risks and stupidity of this question. I've seen it talked about before but what is the real fz8 top speed. Let's be honest and leave the ego at the door . No keyboard warriors!

I have a speedohealer installed and -1 +1 gearing. I feel I could go a legit 130 if I tucked....I am curious with stock gearing.

130+ is easy

Umyaya

Funny thing is after I posted this.. I went out and hit some roads... something felt odd! I came back into town early and looked... been riding on a flat tire with a nail! haha Second one =[ New Pilot Road4's are not cheap....
It's not a stupid question - it's just one that you haven't thought through. Why you asking? Why does it matter to you? Just sayin', but are you not a keyboard warrior yourself suggesting you could go a legit 130mph tucked without trying. As you know, changing the sprockets will change top-end, and getting the SpeedoHealer at leasts gives you an accurate reading..

.. so go out there, find your top speed and post it up.

My opinion of the bike's top-speed is that stock (or otherwise) it's more than quick enough to kill ya or land you in a ton of trouble. For the Squid Racer in us all, it's also not quick enough to beat any car that would give the bike a run for it's money when you're going that speed anyways. Meaning, trying to out-run a car on the highway north of 200kph.

thach1130

Dunno man. Apparently according to my SpeedoDRD my top speed i've reached is like 88mph. -1 front sprocket mod has turned my bike into a city bike. The bike absolutely scream on the highway and not fun to hear the constant high rev on the highway.

Also even with a PUIG windscreen, the bike is not comfortable at 80mph. Too much wind to fight with.

BigD

Dunno man. Apparently according to my SpeedoDRD my top speed i've reached is like 88mph. -1 front sprocket mod has turned my bike into a city bike. The bike absolutely scream on the highway and not fun to hear the constant high rev on the highway.

Also even with a PUIG windscreen, the bike is not comfortable at 80mph. Too much wind to fight with.

Too much wind pfft! lol! I'm 6'8" and used to think that, i'm like a bloody wind sail ha ha...its all about getting used to the wind..or building up them there neck muscles to cope lol :p
just messing :D

BigD

know how much difference the -1... +2 would make in place of the +1?
Worth doing the +1 over the +2? anyone?

Umyaya

know how much difference the -1... +2 would make in place of the +1?
Worth doing the +1 over the +2? anyone?[/QUOTE

Yeah I like the +1 didn't need a new chain. Cruising speeds on freeway does have the bike running a little high but nothing crazy. I feel the +2 would be to much. I just installed new driven grips and a r6 throttle tube. So worth it.

Rotaryknight

I did 149mph bone stock fz8. I am 210lbs
I have a Gtech SS for my rx7 so I put it on my bike and tested it out.

The wind is CRAZY at those speed, I would not want to do that on a gusty day lol

around 161 should be the mechanical limit of the fz8. At redline with stock sprockets and tires

Last edited:

Sinooch

I hit 130 with my bone stock fz8. Only thing I have done is a Coffman exhaust. But that's just what the bike was governed at. it wouldn't let me go any faster until the governor is removed

mundan101

I hit 130 with my bone stock fz8. Only thing I have done is a Coffman exhaust. But that's just what the bike was governed at. it wouldn't let me go any faster until the governor is removed

It wasn't top speed but I hit 103mph, there was more there...but I backed off when I realized that I am being stupid and risking my life and/or arrest.

Umyaya

So maybe my top speed will be different when I am not riding on a flat tire haha!!!
I did 149mph bone stock fz8. I am 210lbs
I have a Gtech SS for my rx7 so I put it on my bike and tested it out.

The wind is CRAZY at those speed, I would not want to do that on a gusty day lol

around 161 should be the mechanical limit of the fz8. At redline with stock sprockets and tires

bimmertech12

I saw 158 when i was down in mexico ;-)
I commute everyday to work 50 miles on the highway. My neck muscles are getting real strong these days lol

Woody146

Banned
I hit 120 at 8.9 - 9 k rpm..mine reds at 11.7 (thank you joe lol!) so it had a ton to go..the suspension added a lot at top speed due to stability

rug_burn

Funny thing is after I posted this.. I went out and hit some roads... something felt odd! I came back into town early and looked... been riding on a flat tire with a nail! haha Second one =[ New Pilot Road4's are not cheap....

Dude- don't waste $200 + dollars- just plug that tire. I do it any time I get a nail, and it works fine. You just gotta keep an eye on that tire's pressure a little closer until it wears out, which isn't usually too long, anyway.
I mean if you didn't even notice the nail, how bad can it be?
There's a little technique to getting the plug in right, however.

Umyaya

Dude- don't waste $200 + dollars- just plug that tire. I do it any time I get a nail, and it works fine. You just gotta keep an eye on that tire's pressure a little closer until it wears out, which isn't usually too long, anyway.
I mean if you didn't even notice the nail, how bad can it be?
There's a little technique to getting the plug in right, however.

I would plug it is it was on my car I just get worried on a bike. ... even if it's mental I wouldn't feel as confident. I've had a back tire deflate at high speeds wasn't good.

Rotaryknight

I would plug it is it was on my car I just get worried on a bike. ... even if it's mental I wouldn't feel as confident. I've had a back tire deflate at high speeds wasn't good.

I plugged my tire after my last nail. It still holds air and havent had anything happen yet at 120+. I guess it depends on how much life you have left on the tire and where the puncture is. I was lucky, mines was an two inches away from center and still had some thread left on the tire.

A lot of people dont want to take that risk though and its understandable.