Speed Triple?

C

Camo

So I've been weighing up my options here as to what I was going to do with this FZ8 of mine...The suspension is a little to soft for me and I'm not really impressed by the flat spot in the rev range.
I love the aesthetic appeal of the bike but am not sure I want to throw thousands more at it to fix the issues I have with the lack of performance...It does ride well don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for more from it and don't want to buy a full exhaust, Powercommander or ohlins front and rear.

So I've been looking into trading it in on either a '10 FZ1 brand new from the same dealer I bought the 8 from or an '08 Speed Triple with all the work done..... Used TRIUMPH Speed Triple (1050) Motorcycles For Sale - bikesales.com.au

I know the US guys are going to freak at the price lol but keep in mind a new FZ8 here has a sticker price of $13,800 and a new Speed Triple goes for $21,000 and the '10 FZ1 will be $13,000 with 1400 cash back.

Anyone had a Speed Triple or an FZ1 want to fill me in on pros/cons, known trouble with either models or any other handy info please?

My main reason for upgrading is I love my bikes naked but want to do more track days as well as commute to work and ride around the local twisty's on the weekends...The FZ8 with the aforementioned 'annoyances' could do all that, just not as well as these two in my opinion.

I rode a Speed Triple yesterday and felt at home on the bike instantly, It wasn't the beast in the link but a standard '09.
I haven't ridden an FZ1 for about a year so I will have to throw a leg over one in the next week or two....

Any info or help would be appreciated but if you want to throw stones, start a new thread :p

Bighitmatt

Speed Triple

Dude, get the Speed Triple! I have had my FZ-8 now for about 6 months. I like the bike a lot, but have never quite got the feeling that i had with my Triumphs. I currently have a Daytona 600, Street Triple R, and HAD a Speed Trip. The Speed was stolen..:( I haven't ridden a bike since, that made me feel as "one" with the bike as the Speed did... Yeah, I kinda had a love affair with her.. That being said, I never had any issues with it in the two years (@11k miles) I owned it. My Daytona 600 on the other hand, is an electrical nightmare, but that bike has been plagued with issues since it came out of the factory. Zero issues my my STriplR. I have a buddy with the 2010 LE Speed (Black w/red) that just finished a 7500mile ride in 4 weeks. The only issue he encountered was a blown tire.

Hereward

If it's specificaly trackdays which is key, get the triple. I love Triumph, I'm British so it's the law......but the Triumph nakeds look awful to my eye, but each to there own. I do think the price difference is a bit stupid however, price up a full Akrapovic system, PC and rear shock plus a set of adjustable pegs........that would sort out the FZ8 for track use at a substancialy lower cost than trading to a Triumph.

C

Camo

Trading to the triumph that's linked will cost me 1k-1.2k. Rear Shock and a full system alone is worth more than that. Then you start adding up Ohlins front and back, half decent rear set and the PC+tune and your up past 5k.
I honestly don't think it's worth throwing another 6-7k at the bike.Trade mine against a Triumph priced at 12-13k and the bike is ready to go. All I need is a set of sticky hoops and some strength work on my forearms lol.

I don't think the Speed3 is better looking than the FZ8 but I don't mind the look of the meaty triple at all.
My other concern is the Fz1 shares similar faults to the 8 and I'd need to spend money on it as well...I'm really not interested in a modfest or a project at this point.

My new leathers are on order and will be here in a month so I'm not rushing but gear is about all I plan to spend money on...Hence I'm steering towards a second hand bike with all the work done with a thousand or so dollars change over.

Hereward

Sorry was going of your $22,000 price tag. Triple is desighned more as a sportsbike in naked form, FZ series is more a sports tourer in naked form. For track work, forget the FZ go with the Triumph, it's desighned more for that task. though there are guys out there extracting good performances from the FZ on the track.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdoj11zUyG4]FZ8 sur piste à Alès - YouTube[/ame]