So Long FZ8, Hello Wicked Cool, High-Value Triple

Admin

Founder
Staff member
Looks like Yamaha will be replacing the FZ8 with the FZ-09 :eek:

Rumors of a three-cylinder replacement for Yamaha’s crossplane YZF-R1 started at Intermot last year with an inscrutable exhibit promising new motorcycles with a “crossplane” inline-triple. It was a tease, of course, making us wonder just what the Tuning Fork guys had in mind, and what, exactly, they meant by a “crossplane” triple. Except for a few Laverdas, aren’t they all?

Read more here.................

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Seems to me there are a few other threads regarding this already...but yes, it's quite a change.

xXAvroArrowXx

I'm wondering how small it will feel. I got rid of my 2009 Kawasaki ER-6n for two reasons:

1) mainly it was too small a frame for my 6'1" stature.

2) I hated the banana seat.

The FZ-09 appears to have both those qualities. I'm glad I have my beast.

(My old ER-6n pictured in this post because let's face it; we all read threads for the sake of finding the pictures)

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

toothycardus

the funny thing is in the UK/euro market that bike you call the FZ-09 is the MT-09 to follow on from the MT-01 and MT-03 (which i owned) and is available from Sept 2013, and the Fazer models are being continued

MikeC

Weekend Rider
the funny thing is in the UK/euro market that bike you call the FZ-09 is the MT-09 to follow on from the MT-01 and MT-03 (which i owned) and is available from Sept 2013, and the Fazer models are being continued

Great information!!

I see more of a resemblance now. the 09 should be in it's own line.

decooney

Using the prior photo for reference.

New FZ 09

Former FZ 08

As much as I like the FZ 09 on paper, specs and all, the new FZ 09 looks SMALL and whimpy to me in this photo above. If the FZ 09 looks this whimpy in person like it does in the first photo, I'm betting now the group of approvers will be divided between the FZ 08 and FZ 09. The first thing that caught my eye about the FZ8 the first time I saw it, it looks expensive and MENACING. Comparing side by side in these two photos, makes it hard for me to want to part with the FZ8 for the FZ 09. Can't wait to compare the bikes side by side on person.

Hang on to your FZ8s until you see and ride the new FZ 09 bike in person. You might regret it later if you sell it.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

I believe the 9 is an answer to the European market where it will prove to be a bonus on there style of roads.
I like the 8 with it's 4 banger like smooth power for the wide open spaces of the area of America I live in.
Now, I am not a marketing agent,or someone who dictates what will be sold in different markets. I see the FZ8 vs the FZ9 as a production to cost decision that will probably lean towards which one will sell the most units world wide. And that seeing as they sell more naked bikes in Europe than they do here, we have to live with that decision. But for the roads I ride, please keep a mid range UJM available as that is what I will buy.
I bought this thing for it's upright seating position and its room to move around on.

decooney

Baja,

Agree, the FZ 09 does appear to be more of a well thought out mainstream "value" bike more likely to sell in volumes worldwide. Everything from a manufacturing and profit standpoint makes more business sense on paper about the new FZ 09 in comparison. Whereas, the FZ8 was likely more expensive to produce, and may end up being more of a limited niche' exotic.

Reminds me of limited production vintage audio gear of the 70s, and some of the gear being overly expensive to produce and with limited sales and limited production. Now highly sought after today. At first I was super jazzed about the FZ 09, and may end up hanging on to the FZ8 just because its so freakin' cool.

dtbrown

I want to see it with a small wind screen and see if that complements it well or not. Rear LED tail light is a great move in the right direction but it needs to be integrated not protruding out. And the single seat is kind of growing on me. I"m excited to see and read more about it.

Harrywz

Looks like Yamaha will be replacing the FZ8 with the FZ-09 :eek:

Rumors of a three-cylinder replacement for Yamaha’s crossplane YZF-R1 started at Intermot last year with an inscrutable exhibit promising new motorcycles with a “crossplane” inline-triple. It was a tease, of course, making us wonder just what the Tuning Fork guys had in mind, and what, exactly, they meant by a “crossplane” triple. Except for a few Laverdas, aren’t they all?

Read more here.................

Fear not, but Canada has triumphed again. I was in at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and we were discussing the new bike. Was informed that we in Canada will be getting a 2014 model of the FZ-8.

b-eock

FZ8 is only discontinued in the US. So yeah, you guys get it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

decooney

Fear not, but Canada has triumphed again. I was in at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and we were discussing the new bike. Was informed that we in Canada will be getting a 2014 model of the FZ-8.

Wow, that's great news. At least some of the aftermarket parts might continue being manufactured if the bike is still being made by Yamaha. In any case, I'm not planning on getting rid of my FZ8 any time soon. Love the bike, its great.