Salton Sea TT 396-Mile Endurance Rally

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
So I'll be joining the folks at California Scooter Co and participating in the endurance race on March 26th down by San Diego. :D

I've had some track time on my R6S, but this will be my first time using a 150cc bike competitively and participating in an endurance event. :)

Info:

MSILSF Salton Sea Endurance Rally, March 26th 2011
"The 2011 Salton Sea Endurance Rally consists of four clockwise laps around the Salton Sea. An endurance rally is an extreme form of riding meant to test the mettle of rider and scooter. This rally will challenge the rider's physical stamina, the scooter’s state of preparedness, and the logistics of covering a substantial distance with a minimal amount of stops. Not unlike the Scooter Cannonball Run from Vancouver, B.C. to Portland, ME, our rally covers a set distance consisting of laps around the Salton Sea. Riders must have their Rally Passport validated (stamped) at checkpoints along the route on each and every lap. This is not a street race! It is an endurance rally designed to challenge both rider and scooter. The goal of any rally is to travel the correct route at the correct speeds, and arrive at “checkpoints'' precisely on time. You are scored on how closely to the correct time you arrive. Again, this rally is not a road race, and riders are prohibited from riding in a reckless or illegal fashion. Arriving too early at a checkpoint necessitates waiting until the standard time [of arrival] to have their Passports validated; arriving late involves point deduction penalties. There are myriad reasons for participating in a rally such as this, but regardless of whether you're challenging your physical stamina, testing the mechanical condition of your scooter, or impressing a significant other, please make no mistake about it -- 396 miles is a hell of a long scooter ride!" MSILF's Rider's Handbook, Salton Sea Endurance Rally, Volume I, 1st Edition, October 10th 2010.

Last edited:

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Bah!! I got DNF! :mad:

I was able to do two complete laps around the Salton Sea, but when I went in to get a stamp on my passport for completing the second lap, the bike wouldn't start anymore.. Seems the hose between the manifold and carburetor ruptured, in the last 30 miles of the second lap (I noticed it started bogging).

Oh well. Reaching and maintaing a speed of 115km/h on a 150cc was very fun.

Hopefully the footage turned out good. I'll try to get that up as soon as I have some time.