Rear suspension

JDZIII

i spent $900 on an elka shock reason being the bike was cheap enough to warrant suspension upgrades etc. that being said, after 9 months of ownership, im still playing around with the fork adjustments. currently the front preload is set in the middle of its adjustment. rebound is set so that it doesn't top out on takeoff & compression is set so it doesn't bottom out in a hard stop. as far as "its not what you say but how you say it", my wife tells me that all the time.

Hey, I was looking at the elka website. I saw that they sell cartridge kits for forks at a pretty reasonable price. You got me looking at them now when I never heard of them till I read this thread.

pigdog

i choose the elka shock so i wouldn't have guilt feelings that i could have done better. im an older rider & treated myself to a smoother, more complaint ride. forum member & elka employe TROOPER, has more knowledge than i have. suspension upgrade was first on my list.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Just went on the google. Remote reservoir or external reservoir increases fluid capacity for longer defense against overheating for heavy duty usage.

I imagine it also allows a wider range of damping, but I imagine that's probably more related to the valving and not just the quantity of oil.

AndyS

Banned
so you want me to keep quiet and let him spend money replacing a shock that is perfectly ok and he just needs to replace the spring around it?

No, you are entitled to your opinion. It's how you try and ram them down other peoples throats.
I answered your question correctly. You felt the need to write a pompous, arrogant answer, that basically said the very same thing I did. You try and come off "holier than the rest", when all you do is look foolish.
This was a simple thread, discussing the merits of a proven part, that you chose to use as your own personal sounding block.

I never said once I was looking for a new shock, and for the money, the FZ1 one is a better unit.

Then you claim its "forum format" that made your post seem arrogant...:eek:
How come no one else claims that? If you cannot answer a fellow rider/forum members post with respect, then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

So, let me ask you this, if you were concerned I was spending "too much money" on a shock, that I can bolt in myself in 30 mins, why on earth would you suggest I buy just a spring form Racetech/whoever for MORE money, then pay someone to install it on my "non adjustable" shock. You just contradicted yourself.

Just for the record, there was a discussion on this very part on the other forum, and 100% of those guys that have them say it is the single best bang for you buck mod you can do...and most of those guys really know their stuff, as I'm sure you do, but offer up advise in a far more friendly manner.

pigdog

lets end this with a PUUT. its the sound that comes out of your mouth when you are making a farting sound

xXAvroArrowXx

Firstly, yes. Some of us like to mod our bikes. So far, everyone that has replaced their shock has raved about it. Simply buying a used FZ1 shock has dramatically improved the ride quality according to petty much everyone that has done it. We may not all be racers like yourself, but we still want to mod and tweak to get what we want out of our bike. You're entitled to your opinion and factual information is always appreciated when delivered in a friendly useful manner. Which brings me to:

Secondly, and more importantly, I would really like for you to go back and read 90% of your posts as if you were someone other than yourself. You sound like an arrogant, condescending prick. At first, I thought it was just me but I get the feeling that other people feel that way as well. Most of us don't care about your past racing experience because we aren't racers and don't have access to a special mechanic to tune our bikes. That means that we get opinions online, and use those opinions to experiment through trial and error.

EDIT: I also don't care how Yamaha intended for me to ride my bike. It's MY bike (actually, it's still the bank's but that's not the point). Just because they didn't include adjustability, doesn't mean that we don't want or need it. They also restrict the bike to meet emissions standards, so i guess we shouldn't tune our mapping, change exhaust, change sprockets, etc either? If Yamaha intended for us to do it, then they would have offered it, right?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

+1 when I see bajedition post I usually try to skip his comments. He doesn't contribute anything to posts beyond his condescending dribble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk