Racket from clutch/trans at idle?

Blackfin

How much noise does your FZ8 or Fazer make when warm at idle and in neutral (with the clutch lever released) from the clutch/transmission area? My 2011's pretty noisy. It's a hard noise to describe. Just "clattery" I guess. At first I thought it might be the timing chain tensioner or arm but the noise seems as loud on the left side of the bike and on both sides it seems to emanate most from the top, behind the cylinder in the area of the clutch or trans.

The thing runs fine, shifts fine and the clutch seems okay (although it seems to be a bit rough on take-up at times...)

Pulling the clutch lever makes no difference to this noise. I suspect the noise is "normal" but will be taking it to a dealer for a second opinion. I'd take a vid but I suspect the quality will be so poor that it will be useless. I'll give it a try and see if I can get a decent rendition of it...

In the meantime, how noisy is yours?

I hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjAj0AGOuo

and it sounds something like mine (I think his sounds worse...) Is that normal?

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Common. It goes away when you pull the clutch in? Just some clutch chatter. My brand new FZ-09 does the same. Most all my bikes have. Never turned into an issue.

BanditGville

Mine did this also was super loud for a while just learned to live with it.... Also when I first got mine the clutch used to "stick". While engine braking i would pull the clutch in, then 1 sec later, it would release. I took it into the dealer and 3 tech had to ride it. They all said it was strange but should go away. It did after about 1 month. I have read of a TSB on misshapen clutch basket but my serial number was not in the range. I do worry what will happen when I install a new clutch?

toyo76

It seems to be a characteristic for the Yamaha's. I have a 2012 FZ8 with only 500 miles and it sounds like the clutch basket is loose or something. I called a few Yamaha dealerships and they all said its normal.