OIL HELP

xjcurtisx

I just bought my 2013 FZ8 last Friday and am in need of the break in oil change. What kind/weight of oil do you guys recommend? Also, K&N oil filter? Any other brands?

I'm at 700 miles and don't want to ride anymore until i get it changed and my manual shows different weights for different temperatures so i'm not sure what to go with.

xXAvroArrowXx

10w40 with the JASO-MA specification. Use search function for oils and filters. I personally run amsoil with either a Bosch or Purolator PureOne filter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DanS

Commuter
I just bought my 2013 FZ8 last Friday and am in need of the break in oil change. What kind/weight of oil do you guys recommend? Also, K&N oil filter? Any other brands?

I'm at 700 miles and don't want to ride anymore until i get it changed and my manual shows different weights for different temperatures so i'm not sure what to go with.
I use Mobil1 4t / 10w40 with a K&N kn-204 filter
Check with your local auto parts store on the oil and filter... I've been buying my oil and filter from O'Reilly for about 30% less than any of the bike shops around here

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
10w40 with the JASO-MA specification. Use search function for oils and filters. I personally run amsoil with either a Bosch or Purolator PureOne filter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As do I..k&n or amsoil filter...put it in at first oil,change...change every 3-5 k

xtasysids75

rotella t 15w40

I'm running rotella t 15w40 with fram 6017a filter. It's cheap and gets the job done. I will change it again at 1000 miles and put in something better. Just don't know what yet.

countdemonet

I love oil threads :D

my favorite oil is Bertolli extra virgin oil

if this is not available, I recommend Mobil1 - 10-40 motorcycle oil.

myklobe

I ride in Utah and I use Mobil1 4T Racing 10w-40 and a K&N oil filter. I tried Lucas 10w-40 semi synthetic and it just didn't feel as smooth as the Mobil1 in my conditions.

You pay a little more for Mobil1 full synthetic, but I've run it in my 480HP and 750HP Camaros, and all my sport bikes, and never had an issue with it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Try them all and see which you like... what's available... price... etc.
I've tried them all and have stuck with Motul 7100 every since... but you'll get different opinions, as long as you change it, and change it often, it really won't matter what brand

Fazerboy66

Yamalube anyone?

So has anyone used Yamalube? Would this not be the first choice?
My dealer is always pushing Yamalube, not sure if its the best semi synthetic out there?
any other recommendations?
Thanx

OdinSon

Rotella T6 full synthetic and Pureolator PureOne PL14610 oil filter. I change ever 3,000 miles or so.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E8V9RG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So has anyone used Yamalube? Would this not be the first choice?
My dealer is always pushing Yamalube, not sure if its the best semi synthetic out there?
any other recommendations?
Thanx

I use the regular yamalube in both my fz8 and my vmax !non synthetic!
Runs like a top!

I'm at 4k miles, so my next will be full synthetic..... Don't know what kind yet. The full synthetic yamalube is like 14$ a quart :eek:

I might run royal purple motorcycle oil in its place.

618FZ8

I switched over to full synthetic yesterday. It changes the bike entirely smoother shifting(especially clutchless) no knocking clutch when you take off, just smoother all around. BUT the clutch is slipping like a bitch too. It might be because there's too much (I put in 3qts with the filter change and its WAYY too much despite what the manual says).